1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition bags Tunnel/Garage velcro-shock cord area - have you found a use for it?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Deanster, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Hi all! So, I've been a Maxpedition bag owner for many years now, and have about half the bags/pouches they make.

But in all that time, I've never found a good use for the Tunnel/garage area that they have on many of their bags.

[​IMG]

I once put my iPhone in, and it slid out - not enough traction. It's not really the right shape for wrap-around style sunglasses, which is what I mostly wear.

I sometimes use the shock cord to temporarily secure things, but even then, I'm often not confident that they're really secure.

Given the bulk and complexity of this area, and that it takes up prime real-estate on many of their bags, it sure seems like Maxpedition is convinced this is a seriously useful and even mandatory feature - so am I missing something?

How do YOU use this area? Have you found the 'perfect' thing that goes there? Any and all input would be much appreciated.

2. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

double post

3. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

I used the shock cord from my Lunada as shoelaces for my 6yo's sneakers. I tried to put a micro umbrella in there but it also fell out. It's just a big, bulky mess and part of why I don't use the Lunada much anymore :(

4. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Another Maxped looks great dont work so well.
    On my Remora I get a small dry bag fold it flat get the air our ,so its like a thin 1 inch strip,fold it thru the tunnel and clip it back upon itself.
    its fit well and then if need its extra storage or drop the Entire Remora into it.

5. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Mostly I just use the hook and loop that's there for patches. But I've slid my survival knife through the 'tunnel' and did a figure eight with paracord to make sure it didn't fall out. Worked pretty well.

6. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i keep my zero tolerance seat belt cutter and glass breaker there in my lunada. i have some para cord as a landyard and its tucked under one of the shock cords. i can get it out i a slpit second if ever i needed.

i figured thats a good spot to keep it because its aways by my side in the car.

7. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I dislike the 726,432 feet of excess shock cord Maxpedition uses, so I removed the shock cord and replaced it with paracord. There is about 9'' of excess paracord beginning at the cord lock which then runs down and loops through the MOLLE on the side (just to keep the excess paracord out of the way). When I want to hold a fabric item, I loosen the "X" area of paracord using the cordlock, then I tighten everything down using the cordlock.

In practice, I don't actually use this feature, but I imagine I might use it to dry a small towel, or hold very small rainshell if I used the Remora or Lunada in the out-of-doors. In any case, I like it better than the annoyingly stretchy shock cord.
    Also, I do not use the "cave" area to hold a knife or flashlight because it's a perfect place for someone behind me to steal my gear. I know everyone and their mother, in their video reviews, claim they use the cave to hold such items, but I find that a little difficult to believe. Instead, I use the cave to hold a microfiber hand towel which I've cut in half.

8. oneeyesquare

oneeyesquare Loaded Pockets

I like the towel idea! and a big "Don't Panic!" patch...:)

9. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

been using mine to hold a towel. excellent idea about replacing the stretch cord with paracord. thank you. i hate the stretch cord stuff.

10. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Though I can think of a few uses for shock cord...on the outside of my bags isn't one of them. Better to replace it with paracord then stash the shock cord inside somewhere.

11. Ciclope

Ciclope Loaded Pockets

I use that to transport my Extrema Ratio Fulcrum C.
    It will fit very good!

12. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

LOVING the towel idea! that's excellent - it would also work well for a Buff, which I often carry as a multi-purpose fabric/towel thing.

thanks - that's a significant addition!

13. oneeyesquare

oneeyesquare Loaded Pockets

That Extreme Ratio knife looks pretty sweet (if a bit spendy for my poor budget), does it fit w/o sticking out one side or t'other?

14. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

herosemblem, thank you for the cord replacement idea, replacing the stretch cord on my Lunada with Spectra cord today

15. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

You're welcome; glad I could help. I also realized that a protein bar can slide in the cave.

16. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

As ive pasted before ,you can also run the janus strap back upon itself thru this.
    Then the Janus becomes a clip on clip off pouch great for FAK

17. outnback

outnback Loaded Pockets

I keep a cold steel sharkie in mine. Now I always have a sharpie, and an impact/compliance tool handy.

18. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Write to maxped and ask them what it's intended for. I haven't seen it on any bags but maxp and their imitators.

rongallant likes this.
  19. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I assume the sleeve part is for anything longish that you don't wanna put inside the main compartment. I've used mine for a compact umbrella, but I could see it being useful for carrying a tent stake bag, bush knife, camp stool, folding saw, etc.

The shock cord could be used to lash down anything oversize and bulky; instead of a towel, maybe raingear, poncho or shelter.

I'm not fond of how the shock cord obscures my carefully chosen bad-attitude patch du jour, so I re-routed mine to loop around the ends and then horizontally top and bottom. Works OK for the umbershute, but wouldn't be as handy if I did need to lash something bulky down with it.

20. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

A highlander medical pouch fits perfectly into the tunnel on my Remora,will get pics up over the weekend