1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition 3x5 Notebook Cover

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by ObiHann, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Just arrived in the mail, same issue as when the Maxped E.D.C. organizer arrived, not as big as I imagined it, however, still great. I put my 3x5 RITN notepad in it, along with my Fisher bullet pen, and my Leatherman c33x.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Do you have any ideas on how to "firm up" the case, so that when you write in the notepad there's some rigidity to the paper? (I thought of using thin aluminum sheets cut down to size, but haven't yet tried them.)

3. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Just a thought on how to stiffen up the pad why not cut up a couple of the cards they send you as a credit card "come ons," some old iTunes gift cards, or the like and then just duct tape them together? That would be light weight, stiff enough, and best of all a freebie.

4. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I would think a aluminum sheet cut to size, with rounded corners so you don't destroy the case would work, or some wood as well. I've had no issues writing on it since I'm used to writing with just the notebook anyways.

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I actually use two camping mirrors inserted into the back pocket. It works reasonably well for me.

-Trevor

6. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

I'm looking to replace my maxp EDC with this notebook cover as my EDC.
    The maxp EDC is a little bit to big imo for my needs. the notebook cover looks the right size.
    anyone any idea where you can order them in the EU. I bought my EDC frome ebay but the notebook cover isn't alvailable there.

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Been EDCing the notepad cover for awhile now.

Haven't noticed any issues with rigidity. I'm using a cheap 3x5 notepad.

8. littlbigd

littlbigd Empty Pockets

I like the looks of it. The velcro patch part for the front is a good idea.

9. Stuart69

Stuart69 Empty Pockets

I got mine from Heinnies - Link - Really fast delivery.

10. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

LOL I cut my one off, some pics in this post. But I find it very useful with a couple of small mods.

11. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

thanks I order mine today

12. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

I've recently started carrying a Maxpedition 3x5 myself.
    So far I'm decently pleased with it's performance and utility.
    I removed the 550 cord from one zipper and pushed it all the way to one side, then threaded a loop of 550 cord through the gaps in the zipper to make a carry/hanging loop.
    I'm using a RitR notebook, and I found that flipping hte cover to the back and sliding it into the sleeve with the back cover makes the notebook stiff enough to write on.
    I have a fresnel lens behind the RitR, and on the elastic loops side I have 1 mechanical pencil, 1 Zebra pen modified with a Fisher refill, 1 mini sharpie, 1 mini finepoint sharpie, kwik-pick lockpick (not always carried) small brass caliper and a "boo-boo kit" (couple bandaids, antibiotic ointment, cleanup wipes...)
    It's fairly compact and rides well in my back pocket as long as I remember to take it out before I sit down!
    I'm seriously considering removing the velcro also. the velcro seems pointless to me.

13. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

I have found a good source for stiffening material is the plastic that DVD cases are made from, we all have an old DVD cases somewhere laying around. If you have a pair of tin snips they will go right through the plastic and it is easy to trim and fit to place. Just what I use when I need some plastic

kary

14. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks, especially tmedina and chute43, I like the idea of the camping mirrors and the DVD plastic cases as stiffeners -- will give'em a try. Regards

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Any 2x3 patch will fit perfectly over the velcro. Under the patch you can carry a couple of pins or sewing needles with thread already attached. Or anything small and thin that could come in handy. If you prefer your notepad cover to be as thin as possible, removing the velcro is a good idea.

16. Polywog

Polywog Empty Pockets

Will a iphone in a otterbox defender fit in this? If not what else might work from max or in foliage green?

17. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

I had considered that option, and was keeping the velcor for that very reason.
    However, my usual carry position is my back pocket, and hte velcro kept getting snagged making pouch more difficult to remove.

I took the velcro off the other day, and it was worth it.
    YMMV of course...

The Maxpedition logo is the next extraneous item to be removed from the organizer.

18. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

I have never seen an otterbox that would fit inside this organizer. it's too small.
    Possibly the TINY otterbox that I saw holding memory cards would.

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I already took off the one below the velcro patch. Rather easy, just a bit tedious. Carefully used the very front of the scissors on my Leatherman Micra to start a cut on the stitching. Then used the slimmest screwdriver blade on my Micra (the one designed for eyeglasses) to carefully prey out the thread, one stitch at a time. Took a few minutes, but the results are very clean. Left the velcro patch on mine. Might take it off some day. But currently have a 2x3 grey American flag patch on mine. Looks good with the maxped logo removed from the front flap.

20. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

With regard to the velcro, could you not use something like this, given some way of standing the cover up on its two open ends, as a sort of impromptu torch bipod?

Just a thought...