1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxped ROLLYPOLY Folding Backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by antman157, Jan 26, 2010.

1. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Does any one have this bag? How reliable / tough is it? I really like Maxpedition, but I dont wanna waste $30

Also does anyone have the iPhone holster with the belt clip .. Its the 4.5"

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I ordered that thin backpack from Lighthound.com

It should arrive in about a week. I'll let you know how it works out. Seems to be a variation on a tote bag that I bought at a pharmacy. That bag has worked out very well. A square with a zipper that went along 3 sides. Unzip it, and the thick squares become the bottom of the bag. Great for carrying a change of clothes, jacket, book, CD player. Bulky items are fine. Just don't put anything heavy in it.

When I saw the RollyPolly, I decided I'd rather have a backpack instead of a tote bag.

3. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Ok cool man! I would appreciate that! -- It seems like a good pack .. I have several just like it, but they dont roll up as tight as the maxpedition one .. It would fit perfectly in my cargo pocket for a quick backpack if I need one

4. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Actually I have the ROLLY Poly backpack extreme.

I really like it, just remember that its not for everyday usage. I use it as a secondary pack. I'll show you some pics. LAter.

I also have the 4.5" phone holster.

5. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Definately .. I just need a bag that compact for emergencies and such .. My reg bag is either a Northface backpack for my Maxpedition Fatboy

You like the holster for the phone?

6. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I would certainly appreciate photos. I was thinking about making something like this for when I go on bicycle rides. I was working on making a musette style bag which could compress into a cargo pocket or a jersey pocket, but a rollypoly back pack seems like it would suffice.

7. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

The phone holster is good. I can imagine working great for the iphone. I use it for my N95 but the phone itself is bulky. The missus has one so I can place it in the holster later and show you,

I went ahead with the RollyPoly Extreme since it offered a tiny bit more storage space with the outer pockets.

For now as promised the RollyPoly Extreme Backpack images:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here you can see that it is larger than the RollyPoly Extreme pouch. So its not tiny, but I use it as shown. Hope this helps.

8. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the photos!

9. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

I have a rollypolly backpack none extreme,if youd like me to take some pics just ask mate

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thoughts on the standard ROLLYPOLY . . .

It's a bit bulkier than I expected, but not bad. Would have prefered if it came with loops to attach to a belt in the horizontal position, when collapsed. Clearly not a primary pack. But useful for a day-trip or weekend getaway. Good way to carry bulky items that aren't too heavy.

As to how it compares to my collapseable tote bag, it's a good way to carry more items without me having to rely on switching the entire load from one hand to the other. When folded up, my Pharmacy No-name tote bag fits easily into the front pocket of my pants. The ROLLYPOLY is too bulky for that. When travelling upstate, my tote bag often contained a complete change of clothes, extra underwear, a book, some snacks, and a small water bottle. With the Maxpedition backpack, I can easily add a thick jacket to that load without any problems.

Overall, I'm glad I bought the pack. Much better to carry a load on your back, than dangling from one hand. I still like my tote bag. But now I've got more than one collapseable option.

11. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

For anyone that wants a larger compressable backpack, Arc'Teryx makes the Cierzo 18 pack. It has 18L of storage space, weighs 255g / 9oz, and has aeromesh padded shoulder straps. It compresses into the size of a 1L Nalgene bottle when not in use.