1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxped Jumbo EDC vs Lunada

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by SUBdude, Jan 13, 2010.

1. SUBdude

SUBdude Loaded Pockets

So I'm new to this forum and recently got a Falcon II. It's great so far, but seems like it might be a bit on the big side when I'm not carrying too much to work. So I'm looking at the Lunada and the Jumbo to carry around the basics and some things for my baby girl (snacks, wipes, drinks etc). I'm curious if any can speak to one being more comfortable than the other? I'm looking for something that I can take out with us and will be somewhat out of the way, easy to carry. Thanks!

2. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

I love my Lunada, I dont have any issues with discomfort at all. Before I bought it I was concerned that it may swivel round my body when due to the single straop style but so far it has sat perfectly on my back during daily use, and I do use it every day.

Pic Here

3. hoyfort

hoyfort Loaded Pockets

I have both the Lunada and the Jumbo, I've used the Jumbo as my EDC for the last 8 months with a great performance, but now this will become my diper bag. So I moved to the Lunada, and I'm very pleased to see that I can hold more gear on it, I also have attached a Mini RolyPoly for a Nalgene and a Maxpedition H1 for my FAK.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

4. SUBdude

SUBdude Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info so far. I've now been thinking about the Lunada versus Malaga comparison. I want to make sure I have a pack big enough but not cumbersome if I take it around town etc. The Malaga seems like itmight be decent size (1/3) of Falcon II. We'll see if I can make a decision soon.

5. odgreen

odgreen Loaded Pockets

I have a Falcon II, and I just traded a Jumbo for a Lunada. I LOVE the Lunada. It definitely holds more than the Jumbo (and holds it in a lot more organized fashion), but it does not hold as much as the Falcon II. I'd say it's about right in the middle between them.

6. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I've had:

Fat Boy, Jumbo, Typhoon, Remoara, Malaga, and now the Lunada.

Liked the Jumbo, hated the collar thing. I carry hardly anything yet it seemed I filled the Jumbo fast. Little heavy on my shoulder.

Remora, nice bag, little small.

Malaga great bag too big for me.

Typhoon should have really kept that bag! :brickwall:

Lunada got off a fellow forumite. Looks like it will work out for those days I need to carry a little more. Has more organization possibilities I think vs. a Jumbo and carries better I think. Lunada is the way I'd go.

7. pilote

pilote Loaded Pockets

i have a neat freak, fatboy s-type, jumbo s-type, and malaga. i traded off a lunada.

once i started edc'ing a netbook, it made my fatboy obsolete. the malaga is not an edc bag for me.

i first opted for a lunada. it could carry a netbook, cord, and mouse, as well as all the general edc components i wanted. and it was pretty full. my big issue was that this style of bag does not hang/ride well on same-side shoulder carry; it rides awkwardly. cross shoulder it is fine, but most of the time i'm grabbing it to ride on same side shoulder carry.

which is why i gravitated to a jumbo s-type. still could carry the netbook and all my gear, and whether you carry it cross or same shoulder, it holds. i got it in red; i like it. so that retired the lunada, and why it was traded off.

i actually preferred the lunada as a bag; internally it was more organized, orderly and compact. but the shoulder slippage and awkwardness just got too annoying.

(lately though, i have been using a neat freak as my edc/netbook carry. it just holds the netbook in the main compartment (center piece removed). i use a janus pack on the strap to hold the power cord, a mouse under its shock cord on the front. no shoulder carry issues. why?....i just wanted to carry the smallest on me that i could possibly do with a netbook on me. when i set it down, everything is so compact.)

8. doinitharder

doinitharder Empty Pockets

So which bag did you end up going with? I have a jumbo im thinking of trading for a Lunada.

9. Leif

Leif Empty Pockets

I have the Lunada and found it small if you want to carry anything bulky, i.e. a jacket. For small amounts of small gear, it's fine.

I think how it rides is either something you like or don't like. I find myself preferring traditional double backpack straps.

10. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I've always used a small pack for day hiking, but wanted to try the Lunada out- little smaller than your typical daypack and seemed like it would be ideal size (almost got the Remora which would have clearly been too small) for my gear. Thus far it's working out well. I've made a few additions to the Lunada to help get things lined out- nothing major, but so far so good. I haven't set it up yet for a more urban setting, but I think it will handle those duties pretty easily (my loadout is quite a bit smaller when I head for town).

I"m finding the Lunada very comfy to carry (takes a little adjusting to get that sweet spot)- feels a little less encumbering than a pack.

Last weekend snowshoeing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. joejep

joejep Loaded Pockets

Have a lunada. Find it a bit small. By the time you add a few modular pouches it looks a bit silly in an urban environment. It is great as a day pack, and rides tight and secure.

12. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

my thoughts (possibly flawed :)) is that for trips to town (infrequent) I'd change things up- the cocoons and side compression straps (just help w/ annex clips) would come off- a 2 minute job. I simply don't need the same capacity going to town vs headed to the hills

if this was strictly a urban bag I probably wouldn't have to add anything- this will vary greatly person to person I what they typically need to carry

13. C-Gypsy

C-Gypsy Loaded Pockets

I realize this is a very old thread, but can you tell me what add-ons are in your pics mtwarden?

Thanks!

14. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

15. C-Gypsy

C-Gypsy Loaded Pockets

Thank you!