1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxped Entity Tech Sling. Vs. VANQUEST Carbide

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Drjones, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I just purchased and absolutely love the Maxpedition Entity Tech Sling (Valence?) 10 Liter.

However, the gear :censored: section of my brain has really been gnawing and nagging at me to buy and try the Vanquest Carbide sling as well.

Before I go thru that hassle, I thought I would post here to see if anybody has had both and can compare or can offer any guidance or feedback between the two bags.

The Maxpedition so far seems PERFECT for what I want this bag for, which is to **only** carry an iPad or a small laptop and a gun and nothing else. (I mean; a couple band-aids for my daughter, a very small knife & spare flashlight, etc, but no actual IFAK, no trauma supplies; only two spare mags, etc.)

I’m exercising a huge amount of restraint to NOT overload this bag, to keep it as absolutely minimal & trim as possible, because the point of it is for me to be armed constantly in today’s crazy world. I will be less inclined to take the bag EVERYWHERE if it is too heavy, overloaded, overstuffed, etc….

I feel the Maxped looks professional and sleek enough to take anywhere and it is small enough that I’m comfortable to always have it with me, AND I am not tempted to overload it.

The VANQUEST looks great & has a lot of cool features too, - I absolutely LOVE the blaze orange interior!! - but from what I can see online, it seems a tiny bit less structured & slick than the Maxped, and it’s definitely larger; Maxped is 10L, VANQUEST is 10. I feel the 8 would prob be too small for my 12.9” iPad Pro, which is my main iPad, or Dell XPS 13 laptop. The Maxpedition definitely has a nice structure to it; it’s not loose & floppy like some bags can be.

If anyone here owns either size of the Vanquest Carbide (8 or 10L); if you could post your comments and feedback on it, and if anyone has tried both I’d really love to hear from you too on your thoughts between the both of them!

Even if you also own the Maxpedition Entity (Valence?) Tech Sling, I’d love to hear your long-term thoughts on it.

Thanks & Happy Father’s Day to the dads out there!

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I had the Carbide-8 for a while. It is a well-built bag. Typical Vanquest quality with good organization (tech focused). It can be carried as a sling, backpack or messenger. The strap(s) is reminiscent of a seatbelt and is fitted with quick adjust buckles.

The issue I had was how it carried. It seemed somewhat boxy and unbalanced against my back. The Carbide-12 would probably distribute the weight better since it’s a bit longer.

As for CCW: I don’t carry off body, so that wasn’t a concern when I bought the Carbide. It doesn’t have a dedicated CCW pocket, although you can use the rear minimalist pocket for that. I think access may be a bit slower than bags with a dedicated pocket.

I’ve never handled the Entity Tech Sling, but it appears to be a good bag with a lot of similarities to the Carbide.

Hope this helps.

3. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

Interesting, Thanks!
    How big a device would the Carbide-8 hold? Up to a 13” iPad or laptop or what? What did you carry in yours?

Did you sell it, and if so, what did you switch to?

Doesn’t the VANQUEST have a good amount of loop lining to attach holsters, organizational pouches & otherwise customize it?

But is the bag roomy enough to allow for the addition of many internal pockets / pouches, or more like elastic loops for magazines, pens, flashlights?

When you say it was “boxy”; did it have a pretty good structure? I hate bags / cases that are floppy. Maxpedition is pretty much the total opposite of floppy... LOL… though the entity series (I have the 27L Backpack, along with tons of other Maxped gear) are definitely a little less tank-like than other maxpedition stuff.

Last question (are you sorry you responded yet? ) how did you carry yours? Backpack / 2-straps or 1-strap / sling?

Thank you!

4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

My answers in the quote in bold print.....

5. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

again; greatly, greatly appreciate your replies! Thanks so much! :):wavespin:

I really like the looks of the Viktos Upscale but it doesn’t seem to have room for both a tablet AND a CCW pistol, right?
    I wish they’d release an “XL” version with that ability & I’d almost certainly give it a shot…

I understand your comments about the straps but for me & my Maxped (which has the same exact strap; but only one); I again look to that as a positive; yet another way to FORCE myself to NOT overload the bag & ONLY carry that which I absolutely have to have;
    - iPad
    - Gun.
    Period.

Ya know?

Anyway…. Thanks again & if anyone else can chime in with info re: VANQUEST carbide vs. Maxpedition entity, I’d greatly appreciate.

6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The Upscale XL is available on the Viktos website (I mentioned the XL in my previous response about switching to the Upscale 2). Specifications state that a 13” laptop and a full-size pistol will fit in the CCW section. The only issue I saw was that the CCW pocket has a divider that separates the laptop and firearm. That may or may not be an issue as far as discretion when removing the laptop in a public area (allowing the pistol to be visible?). From the photos it appears that the pocket may be deep enough that it isn’t a problem.

There is a short video on the Upscale XL product page that shows the bag in use. Worth a look.

7. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

Ah, ok… I see it now… Thank you! I got confused between the Viktos 1, 2, and now XL….

Just watched the Viktos video;

Still really bummed about that Viktos; it’s not at all acceptable to me that the gun is exposed when you go to pull out your laptop / tablet.

If I’m at a meeting with a client, at coffee with a friend / colleague, or whatever; I want my CCW to remain - **CONCEALED**.

I already had that screw me once, and I am so very lucky it didn’t turn out worse because they were gun friendly people.

I have a pretty basic and low profile pistol bag/case that I used to sometimes use, that would fit my iPad and pistol but it had the exact same problem as this Viktos = it only had one giant compartment with dividers inside, so when I opened up the bag to get my iPad it also exposed my pistol.

The prospect I was meeting with saw my pistol, and like I said if they weren’t gun friendly it would’ve caused a major, ***MAJOR*** problem, as you can imagine.

How do you deal with that issue?

twin63 likes this.
  8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I agree. Maybe in practice it works better, but it’s hard to tell without being able to handle it in person. Definitely don’t want any accidental exposures.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up with.

9. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

Yeah well like I said; I have a very basic / plain pistol case that - as far as the internal config / layout goes - is the same, and it’s no good at all in real life use…. JMHO….

Thanks again for all your help.

To be honest I’m still kind of agonizing and cogitating because maybe I should just buy the vanquest - both the carbide and the addax backpack that I have my eye on, just to try them out & compare and to get my OCD off of the topic. LOL.

VANQUEST has a 100 day return policy. I really think I’m going to keep the Maxped because I have a bunch of their gear and it all literally looks + performs like brand new = I can’t get their Stuff to show any wear!

The VANQUEST is 12L (the one I’d like; I think the 8L would be too small for me), and the Maxped Entity / Valence is 10L; the Maxped is literally pretty much PERFECT for what I wanted, and doesn’t have enough extra room for me to put anything else heavy / bulky in there, which is my goal; just carry my 13” iPad or laptop, (Something like the Dell XPS 13 fits perfect!) maybe also my 11” iPad and / or iPad Mini, and tiny extras like a pocket knife, spare light, etc. etc.

I’m worried if I get the 12L Vanquest, it will tempt me to put more crap in the bag….

Ah, the gear :censored: life… LMAO.

twin63 likes this.