1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxmadco

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by flnder, Mar 28, 2017.

1. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I have to say I am a big fan. I have had a stainless Maxmadco pen for a few years, really like it a lot. So much so that it is a safe queen. The other day I ordered two lightweight ones from Jim, just got them. I wish had a camera like the rest of you guys because these things are awesome and the new refills write beautifully. The speed which Jim sent them is amazing and he threw in extra springs. man this is like Christmas
    Thanks Jim

2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

All you need is a phone and upload to Tapatalk from there (I don't use a "real" camera). We love pictures here! Feel free to post away!

3. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

He's one of the first, and IMO one of the best of the many private pen designers that have come up in the previous decade. I have one of his earlier stainless pens with the black relief logo. I've communicated with him a few times about the pen and he's never been anything less that friendly, helpful, and informative. He's clearly an artisan that enjoys his work.

After over half a decade of using my pen both in the field and office I can say that its ridiculously worth the price, admittedly more so at a desk than a doorway as the weight of the stainless does lend itself to being dropped, but even then it has held up admirably. Based on that, I suspect that the lighter aluminum and titanium pens would be ideal for field use. You're only serving to deny yourself by keeping yours hidden away.

By all means, implement best practices to ensure it doesn't walk off. Mine rode in a select sleeve of my portfolio that ensured that its absence was immediately apparent upon conclusion of its use. But after that, use it as the beloved tool its designer no doubt intended it to be.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

It certainly makes pens from large commercial manufacturers seem like cheap crap (thinking of all the pressing and plastic used in them).

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Love mine. Love it so much I bought a spare to keep in the safe.

6. bmwboris

bmwboris Loaded Pockets

I'm also a fan!!!

The build quality and tolerances of his pens are amazing

I have one of each material/model he has produced, and will keep buying each and every model he will produce. I don't mind paying the postage costs to ship to Australia either- as once you have the pen in hand- you can feel the quality and justify the cost

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The build quality of my stainless steel model is excellent. I rather prefer the heft over others weighing much less.

8. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I've bought one as a gift to someone else, but I've not yet treated myself to one of Jim's works of art. I'm still lusting after a ti or aluminum version.

9. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

So which model is the one to get?

10. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

That's going to depend on what you like - a light, medium, or heavy pen. If you like heavy, go for the stainless, brass, or copper. If you like light, go for the black aluminum (and trust me, it's *really* light). And titanium is right in middle. For me, the titanium is the sweet spot, the perfect weight & balance.

MKLight, chaosmagnet and Loadout like this.
  11. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

Thanks. Some reviews mention that the Ti is more grippy. Why is this? Is it brushed differently?

12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I think that it's just the nature of the metal. Stainless steel is a slicker material, and the titanium metal itself has more grip to it.

MKLight likes this.
  13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Titanium is the sweet spot in weight for me as well.

MKLight likes this.
  14. glazer1972

glazer1972 Empty Pockets

I have the Ti. Looking to get an Al and a SS in the future.

15. OilfieldCowboy

OilfieldCowboy Loaded Pockets

He has repaired my brass and SS pens a few times now, the Ti hasn't taken any damage yet. They are used every single day in an industrial setting and are pretty well beat up on occasion. He chided me for damaging a "precision instrument" until I responded that my pens are tools to be used as such and I will pay what is needed to repair them.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  16. MKLight

MKLight Loaded Pockets

I have the Ti and SS. I like both. When I originally bought the SS, the Ti wasn't available. Since getting the Ti 2-3 years ago, I use it regularly, while the SS doesn't get used as frequently. The Ti definitely has a "stickier" feel to it. If I could only have one, I would keep the Ti over the SS...but am happy to have both.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  17. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I am trying[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

18. adobofosho

adobofosho Empty Pockets

Anyone selling a ti bolt action? He said he would sell me one if he found any titanium left to use to make one and its probably not going to happen...he also said hes no longer building pens and hes pretty much selling his last stock online...i think this would be impossible to find a seller though

19. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

20. adobofosho

adobofosho Empty Pockets