1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxmadco pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by wolfstyle, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Maxmadco pen, which metal?

1. Stainless

69.2%
  2. Aluminium

30.8%
  1. wolfstyle

wolfstyle Loaded Pockets

I'm interested in getting a Maxmadco pen. I can't deciede between the SS or AL. For those that have either or both which do you prefer and why?

Also does the lack of knurling cause the pen to be too slippery?

Thanks,

wolfstyle

2. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm interested in the same info! By the way, I noticed he does offer some models with grooves turned in them. I'm not sure if that would help with the grip at all.

3. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I have an aluminum. I think I'd enjoy the weight of the SS, but the aluminum is still a joy to use. I don't have many problems with my hand slipping, but you can get them to put some basic knurling on it for an extra fee. I'm not sure about the black coating on the aluminum. Mine doesn't show any wear, but I don't know if that's a problem with them in general.

The SS seems to be the most popular, though. I barely see anybody with an aluminum one.

4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I have the SS and it's too heavy for such a smooth pen. I think I would prefer the aluminum.

Too bad it doesn't have knurling...

--flatline

5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I love my SS. It can get a little slick if you get sweaty hands, but I haven't had a problem with it myself. Probably my favorite non fountain pen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

6. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I have the stainless. I found the finish not slippery (except if my hands are sweaty). I think it has to do with the grade of the stainless and/or the somewhat ideal diameter/shape. I have an older SS Jotter and the finish has some texture that makes it ultra slippery...but a newer SS Jotter with a smoother finish is not slippery.

//knurling sub-story
    I recall there were posted here some knurling/grip pics of the maxmadco that he could do.. I
    think some would look and work well.. always hard to tell comfort of those on the internet. I recall Cross used to have a spiral grip/knurl on their chrome Century pens.. Then they stopped offering it and if you returned one for repair it came back with no knurl and a little piece of paper saying customers prefer the smooth chrome finish ...the chrome finish and deep lengthwise lines were so slippery that I could not use it. The maxmadco is definitely not slippery like that.
    //knurling sub-story

As far as weight is concerned I'm used to heavy pens. I found the weight does not hinder the writing, comfort or performance of the pen. Rather the weight in one's shirt pocket is more noticeable. So on the weekend I'd rather take my stainless steel Jotter..its lighter and I can drop/lose it without worry. One thing I like about stainless steel is I can disinfect it without worry of ruining the pen finish.

I do love black pens though and can see how it's a hard choice. Perhaps an aluminum offered in anodized aluminum color would be cool.

7. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I actually have both. I started with the SS and love it, but realized that it was too heavy for a lot of writing and carrying around in my pocket. I liked the form factor of the pen so much, I got the AL version and extremely happy with it. Very light compared to the SS. I haven't had any issues of my hand slipping on either one. Hope this helps.

8. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

Stainless, the weight is really nice. I have no issues with slipping at all. This is a super nice pen. The only other pens I've bought since I got this one two years ago are high-end fountain pens. I stopped looking for an EDC pen after I got the Maxmadco. I lost it once, and replaced it with another. I'm a big fan. I just wish I could find a FINE point gel refill that fits. Parker no longer makes F point gels.

trickcunningham likes this.
  9. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I actually got some Fisher Fine point refills on Amazon.

10. maxmadco

maxmadco Loaded Pockets

I have found that Moleskin makes a fine (.5mm) point refill that works BUT it is a plastic refill and where the plastic joins with the steel tip it can be just a little larger in diameter and not allow it to pass through the pen. It is a simple matter to fix with a small fine file or sandpaper and only takes a minute or so. The refills seem to be very nice. If you google Moleskin Rollerball Gel Refill you will find them.

persco likes this.
  11. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

But they're not gels, are they? They're ballpoints. I've used those, too. But I dislike ballpoint pens. It's the gels I want.

12. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

Now you just gave me an idea, Jim. The Schmidt 8900 refills are supposed to fit any Parker-compatible pen, but they actually don't fit in your pen. I guess I could try filing the refill a bit at the fat part to see if I can shave a bit off enough so it'll fit?

13. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Just make sure to wrap a slip if paper around the ink cartridge with your name and address. That way you MIGHT get it back when you lose it. :(

14. maxmadco

maxmadco Loaded Pockets

They are gels according to the site and write like them. I do not like ballpoints either.

15. maxmadco

maxmadco Loaded Pockets

The pen is made to very close tolerances so the refill will not wobble but some refills are not concentric and or are just a bit larger in diameter so do not fit. I bought a Schmidt 8900 to try but when it arrived it would not write at all so must have been old stock or just defective.
    The 8900 should fit, just take a bit off of the end. Mine fit, just did not work and did not order another.
    Moleskin fine is really a fine refill.

persco likes this.
  16. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

It's the tip of the 8900s that are just a tiny bit too fat at the neck just below the refill tip. It means it won't pass through the pen tip smoothly, but gets stuck. I bought six of them and none fit properly. I wish it was a direct fit. The 8900s write very nicely. I'll keep trying to use a file and see if get somewhere.

17. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

I was referring to the Fisher fine point refills suggested by Inytunes... I believe Fisher uses ballpoints.

18. wolfstyle

wolfstyle Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies. How does the weight of the Stainless compare to a stainless embassy pen? I have a embassy pen and find the weight to be little much, feels like the back of the pen is pulling it out of my hand. I'm assuming this pen is balanced?

wolfstyle

19. maxmadco

maxmadco Loaded Pockets

Stainless Embassy pen is 3.83 oz., and the maxmadco stainless weighs 1.75 oz. Very well balanced.

persco likes this.
  20. wolfstyle

wolfstyle Loaded Pockets

Well I've made up my mind. I'm going with the stainless, ordering tonight. Thanks for all the info everybody. Special thanks to maxmadco. Really cool to have the creator provide info.

persco likes this.