1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maximum carry on clamshell backpack w/ lots of external pockets?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by chx1975, Nov 8, 2019.

1. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

I tried asking a few months ago, got advice for a First Tactical backpack which was lovely organization wise then the first trip ended up with https://i.imgur.com/bVLmsOV.jpg so I am back on the market for something else... I found the Nomatic 40L which has just enough annoying details I don't really want to deal with it -- the laptop being on the lid with a non-stiff backpack just spells trouble and the duffel straps will be in the way when using the backpack straps. Otherwise it's a fantastic idea to use the sides for pockets! I need pockets :)

2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Mystery Ranch Mission Rover Travel comes to mind but Eddie Bauer's Sisu is also a great pack. But neither are "budget" in any way.

3. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

Oh, I can surprise myself for Christmas with an expensive bag, that's fine :) I do not see a lot of pockets on the Mission Rover and the Sisu is a hiking backpack too large for carry on?

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't really understand what was wrong with the 1st Tactical bag in the first place?
    Is it that tiny defect that shows in the pic?
    Did yo give them a chance to make it right for you?

I have searched and tried a lot of bags and so far the 1st Tac. is the one I seem to have settled on,more pockets and organization that I can get to is the bottom line for me too.
    I like how they are organized but without seeming too "Busy" at the same time somehow?

I liked the GR2 sort of but it was way too hard to use for me.
    I love the Camelbak UA,the older version not the latest and it is still my 2nd choice to the 1st Tac. just for the pocket access alone!

I was looking at some of the current North Face packs the other day and there is a lot to be said for packs that use lighter weight materials that are less stiff and literally seem more flexible to me and this helps make a bags pockets easier to use and more handy and some of those bags are really tempting for sure.
    They also seem to have a pretty loyal following.

5. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I haven't flown a lot, but every time it has been with a 5.11 Covrt 18. From LAX to Xiamen China, 3 trips to and from. 2 domestic flights on smaller planes in China, train trip in China, LAX to Spokane Washington with a transfer. It has fit under the seat on every trip and has many external access pockets. It was my only bag on the week long trip to Washington, as well as a 2 day trip by train in China. Pockets for headphones, passport, charger accessories all easily accessible.

6. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

Well, a 180 dollars backpack tears on the first trip and that's a tiny defect? And yes I gave them the chance and they didn't even answer my email for weeks and then finally answered on Facebook and told me to return to Amazon which I did -- and this needed Amazon extending the return period because I was well past 30 days. I am extremely dissatisfied with First Tactical, maybe they don't cater to Canadians.

Looks a little small but I will give it a thought.

I will check the North Face selection.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes that looks like a really tiny defect to me.
    When I have had a problem I picked up the telephone and immediately spoke to them using "mouth words" and it was taken care of right away.

Just Saying.

I was talking within the USA too though and who knows,it might be different outside of here?

Anyway if the bag will work for you and they will fix it then it is just the way things are these days and I would accept it myself as I really like the bag!

There are a lot of bags to try though and I can never really know how one will work until I actually do try it so I just keep trying or at least looking so I don't miss anything tht might be an improvement somehow?

The Rush 24 is a really great bag too and bigger than the 18 and aside from the odd little pockets on the top front has pretty decent organization throughout and is really rugged too.I have 2 of them as BOB's in 2 cars.
    They have long thin pockets on the outside sides of the bag that you might never even realize are there unless someone shows you too,really!

I also really like the Bihn Synapse and it has terrific pockets outside and I am pretty sure they make a larger one now too but I am trying to stay away from their site so I do not buy anything more right now,I am so weak that way.
    They are pricey and not always available but for sure they are also worth all of the hassle to own.

8. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I might be picky, but I prefer a bag that will hold up to normal use over a bag that a company will sew back together when it rips.

Of course, there are companies that make products that will hold up and fix for free out there (MR, Goruck, etc.).

9. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

To jump in again and then ISTFU, I just purchased a 5.11 Covrt 18 and to echo what rdisom said, it's a solid performer and has a lot of access.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Who doesn't really?
    But that rip is hardly an indication of quality across the entire line of bags that they make,any brand can have a problem at times and he never mentioned them fixing it anyway,I know with mine they sent me a new bag plain and simple.

It also sounds like he needs a bigger bag anyway.