1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maximum carry on clamshell backpack w/ lots of external pockets?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by chx1975, May 28, 2019.

1. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

The bags I am able to find with lots of external pockets are laptop bags and do not have a nice big main compartment. The best would be but I doubt this exists, a 22" x 14" bag with two times two 9" x 7" (approximately) pockets on front. Is there anything in this size that moves on from the "you have one laptop, one tablet and a phone" litany to "you might have a laptop (or two!), an eReader, a phone, a Nintendo Switch and who knows what else"... and I just want to be able to reach 'em quickly. Like, https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/2000/1*hwfueThP212JlBD7mIXTjA.jpeg this Patagonia bag is only optionally a backpack and these pockets are oriented the wrong way so this wouldn't work. Otherwise, hell yeah it has enough... I suspect on a vertical backpack this would require two rows of pockets but that can't be a problem, really.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tom Bihn Brain Bag.

I can carry 4 laptops in them easily or any combo of computer and monitor really as well as an entire giant buttload of stuff of any kind.

Not a clamshell though pretty easy to access anyway.

GR2 can also hold several machines easily but does not have any decent outside pockets.

Rush 24 can easily carry multiple computers and 1st Tactical Tactix has a few versions that also can.

Last edited by EZDog, May 28, 2019
    #2 EZDog, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

That is brilliant. First time I heard of them. https://www.firsttactical.com/products/tactix-1-day-plus-backpack this here. The front big pockets are 330mm x 114mm x 19mm where the One Mix Yoga 2S tablet-laptop is 182 x 110 x 17. Nice :) The front dump pocket seems large enough even for the brick of a phone I carry around :D This shows how to add missing bottom padding:

But the best seems to be the trick of having two little tear away pouches which can live on the inside of the bag or the outside -- the front is MOLLE and hook-and-loop the same time, who comes up with ideas like that?? Keep it inside when interacting with the gate dragon, keep it outside to have access to your stuff otherwise. I am watching a review video and almost salivating at the organization of this, those two pockets on the main compartment almost scream shoes or sandals to me. Brilliant, just brilliant. If I had a complaint it's just a tiny bit too narrow but adding a pouch or two to the side can correct this.

Last edited by chx1975, May 29, 2019
    #3 chx1975, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    ferris209 likes this.
  4. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

I can’t recommend First Tactical enough, in all my years of buying tactical type bags starting with a Maxpedition Colossus in 2007, through to a custom Zulu Nylon Gear (great Bag BTW, but I “outgrew” the messenger style), on into the 5.11 Rush series. I own Moab 6 & 10, Rush 12 & 24, a Zulu Nylon Gear Customized Emissary, Hazard 4 Tonto Ditch & Kato.

None of the aforementioned bags impressed me in their usefulness as much as my First Tactical’s have. I have found all the pockets to be perfectly sized, placed and this has caused me to use way less external Pouches and add-ons. These are the first bags I have only modded very little and have not had to adjust greatly to my uses. I started with a .5-Day Backpack, later got a 1-Day Plus Backpack and have since gotten a Summit Side Satchel. All serve different purposes and I think I’ll use them longer than any of the other bags. They are my first experience with laser cut Molle, which I was very hesitant to get, but now I don’t think I’ll look at another every day Bag that doesn’t have it. It’s to the point with me that I wished they offer their Summit with laser cut Molle.

I only have very minor quibbles with my packs. I wished the front admin pocket would fully zip open like a clamshell style. First Tactical is VERY proud of their symbol and they tend to put as many places as they can from rubber badges, cloth tags, to vinyl embossing, to even the interior stitching making up their symbol. I also wished they’d offer a flat back panel for their backpacks. The curved may be great for people who hike or wear this everywhere, but since it tends to bend into the Pack, it can take up storage space and even impact a computer you may have inside. I use it for work and it’s hardly on my back at all, just to the car, to the office, to the car, and to the house. I ended up cutting my own flat plastic inserts to fit into it.

Another very minor critique is a lack of colors. Everything is black, Coyote, or OD. Which is fine, coming from a cop background, everything I tend to own is black. But I gotta admit that Coyote might see me buying it soon.

But I’ll digress, the FT’s are great bags IMHO and I don’t think you could go wrong. The best way to explain them is that they are literally souped up, more advanced 5.11 Rush bags. FT was founded by the guy who helped design the Rush series bags.

Hope this helps!

#4 ferris209, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Myrddraal likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well the guy who thought of these is the guy who thought of 5.11 Rush series in the first place!
    These are the Evolution of the Rush bags from the same man who started 5.11 I think.

The 1 Day Tactix is the bag I have been traveling with since getting mine and I also EDC the Ginormous Briefcase all the time!
    The build quality is very nice though I am not sure as rugged as 5.11 and the features are so well thought out that I am still finding new things even after a few years carrying,really.

I use foam in each of mine and this both provides cushion but also helps keep the floor of the bags waterproof for the computers inside.

The only thing I really am not a fan of is the wanna be Velcro inside the Tactix.
    It is not real Velcro and does not really work for me?
    I am sure it was cheap but things will not stay stuck to the inside of the main compartment where the whole thing is covered with way too soft wanna be Velcro?

Secondary for me is that curved stay in the pack,it is so curved and stiff that I am scared to stick computers in the back compartment!
    On the other hand the Pack does carry insanely well because of the stay and I suppose this is a trade-off that I am always happy for when carrying a heavy load for a while too.
    What good is a big bag if you can not actually carry it as needed?!

I have also called 1st Tactical before buying and ALWAYS gotten a hefty discount simply by asking them for it!

Great products and Company!

6. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

I read the stay is curvy and might interfere with the laptop pocket. Any experiences with that?

I bought the bag and I just had a flash of an idea after searching so much yesterday... I put some Velcro Sticky Back strips on the back of one of my Samsonite packing cubes, if all goes well I will have a backpack with a hanging (floating, w/e) packing cube ... I have looked for one for so long. These packing cubes have a little rigidity to them, the back is nice and smooth and I have reasonable hope this will work.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

There is no laptop pocket really but of course you can stick anything you want anywhere you want in any bag that you want too.

You can not remove the stay to use the bag without it it my certain experience with the bag!
    I was on a 3 week road trip having done EXACTLY that when it occurred to me to never try that again!

The suspension just does not work unless the stay is in there.

They of course show using the stay as a feature in emergencies but make zero mention about carrying the bag with the stay not in there,not something I think you can tell I will not endorse at all!

You could try to straighten the stay though and I think that will work or you can like I do and carry a small computer for the front ccw compartment and also you can stick several computers in the main compartment where the stay will not affect them at all.

I have no clue what you are talking about with the Samsonite cubes?

8. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

I used a large Sterilite plastic bin lid and cut out a flat plastic insert for my pack, it works great for me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

AlgoOPC likes this.
  9. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

Maybe these two photos of my new backpack would help. https://photos.app.goo.gl/qEqbAXn7AK6zMMb96 The first one shows it is velcroed to the top and you can flip it out, the second shows it doesn't reach the bottom -- the grey felt back is visible. So, floating bag-within-a-bag. (BTW this is a shoe bag)

Last edited by chx1975, Jun 3, 2019
    #9 chx1975, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    EZDog likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I understand now.
    I have been using the Matraskoya Pouches from the Alpha One Niner Bags which we helped design here in exactly the same way and they also have Velcro on one side.
    I have had little luck though with that near Velcro on the back of that compartment actually holding the Vecro as I have already said but the pouches still stay upright mostly in there for organization too.

Pretty impressive bag, don't you think?

11. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

55Y9003
    https://www.alphaoneniner.com/collections/pouches/products/matroskya-pouches doesn't mention the Velcro. Interesting.

I am putting very light items in my floating bag and I just hope it'll hold. If not, nothing bad happens. I just like them better this way.

It is pretty impressive, I could customize it to be a dual laptop bag easily: the through pocket, while not designed for laptops allows easy conversion to a laptop pocket: I cut off a bit of foam from a kneeling mat and used again sticky velcro to mount it to walls near the bottom. Just put the velcro on it, sticky side facing the two sides of the bag, slide it in, press, done. Now the laptop rests on that instead of falling to the bottom. In another bag without this nice bottom zipper, doing the same would've been an absolute P|TA from the top. I did another "bridge" of foam in the front flat hidden pocket, much smaller of course, that one holds the tiny One Mix Yoga 2S laptop. It already has a loop side so I needed to supply less velcro that side. The phone pocket is huge, I carry a brick of a phone (it's a Moto Z Play in an aluminium bumper with a battery mod), a few mm bigger than even the iPhone XS Max or the Note 9 and much thicker yet it fits. Although I won't be using this pocket for this purpose, I have a Maxpedition phone pouch incoming to be worn on the backpack strap. I tried my Sony RX 100 camera in this pocket and that fit too. Veeeery nice. And I plan to use a few dominators to afix my Coghlan's bottle carrier to the other backpack strap... and a Gorillapod DSLR on the side... so much MOLLE on this pack :D Edit: the dominators arrived here's the Gorillapod: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a19u2nfiMNdPXFEF7

Just as I've typed it up I realized the pockets in the back laptop pocket is large enough for the OMY2S! It was made for this, nothing much bigger would fit. That's just superb, I was worried how thick the front is becoming. And that much weight now shifted back and up. The other pocket almost screams for a spare battery, I will oblige -- once the Maru & Masa kickstarter lands (some people got it already) I will put the Masa battery up here, next to the laptop. This is truly great! https://photos.app.goo.gl/hH8VcXqmD4jwvmFu6 and this is with the ThinkPad T420s as test laptop, in reality I am using a ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25 which is much thinner which will be helpful here. (Speaking of ThinkPad things, the legendary SK-8855 aka 55Y9003 keyboard fits the flat pocket like a glove. Much better than the thicker laptop.)

I also have a roll of fabric velcro, hook one side, loop the other, I wrapped the hanging loop of my headphone case with it and stuck it to the front wall of the main compartment https://photos.app.goo.gl/hfxAn7YtvDkeUscK7 there will be absolutely nothing loose in the main compartment, so lovely.

If I had anything to complain it's the two side pockets inside the main compartment which at first sight say "shoe" to me are way too small for those.

Last edited by chx1975, Jun 6, 2019
    #11 chx1975, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    ferris209 likes this.
  12. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

Let's try this again. The 1 Day Plus back pocket internal lining looks like this after the first trip: https://i.imgur.com/bVLmsOV.jpg

This is going back to Amazon. Other great ideas :) ?

13. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

I own four First Tactical bags, two are even used. I’ve never had that happen. I’d email that pic to FT.

I did have a zipper malfunction that they quickly fixed by replacing my bag. Other than that I’ve had no issues.

14. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

15. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

16. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

Meanwhile they answered on Facebook (miracles? did you do something?) and said I need to return to the merchant (Amazon Canada) I got it from. Which I will do because Amazon extended the return period but this means they basically don't do warranty on it. I am done with First Tactical, really. I got warranty service in the past from Eagle Creek and Briggs&Riley both and they didn't bother asking where I got it from, they fixed the problem. (In EC's case they fixed my bag after it was very clearly dragged on oily tarmac and developed a tear and yet they fixed it for free! In B&R's case it needed new detachable backpack straps, I walked in to the repair place, they looked at the bag and gave me new backpack straps, no questions asked.)

ferris209 likes this.
  17. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

Cool, all that matters is you’re happy

18. chx1975

chx1975 Loaded Pockets

Well, I am quite pissed, if not for Amazon making an exception on extending the return I am afraid I'd be stuck here. Anyways: I need a backpack :)

19. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

I don’t think so, I think Ashley would have made it good for you. She is their Inside Sales Lead. Pretty sure the person on FB always replies with that as a first step, those folks are usually merely social network people and have little interaction with actual sales. it is disappointing that your email to their website didn’t get you any response.