1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Max Lunada Vs. Remora

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by nmiller, Aug 11, 2009.

1. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Im considering the choice of the two right now,i currently have a Rush 24 for weekends and a large Maxped bottle holder for EDC which works well but i need a bit more space

The Lunada is more the size i want but im drawn to the Remora as all the fastenings are to the front of the bag so when worn over the chest,nothing remains on the rear to be tampered with also its not so deep which is vital across the chest.im about a 50' chest so ive tried a Remora(the wifes) and it seems a bit tight but ok

I did have Jumbo which is now a SLR carry ,i didnt fit across the chest and as i have narrow waist 29-30' it just rode down all the time,great bit of kit but didnt fit my needs

The ongoing EDC issue is pack a good bit of kit just in case or go light so you have room for other goods in an urban setting,i think a Remora will suit me just fine,been looking at the wifes but she has a perm attached Maxped Meduim bottle holder attached and carrys it in handbag style

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Got my Malaga from IROCKID, and I think this is the one...for now. Shame that if it was about 2 inches taller, my laptop would fit in it. But at the same time, it really wasn't for that, so it's not a big deal.

The amazing thing to me really is the very modest size increases from the Remora to the Lunada to the Malaga. Yeah, if you look at a Remora and a Malaga side-by-side, it's quite noticeable. But each incremental increase is pretty minimal if you ask me. Not a bad thing, just kind of odd that they'd have such small differences.

Something else that I took into consideration is the size of the bag in comparison to me. I'm 6 foot, 240 and the Remora was just too tiny for me to wear.

3. burns

burns Loaded Pockets

What do you mean by "had problems with customers"?

4. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

At a customers location security was a little nervous and stopped me it was a little awkward. At that time I really didn't want to draw the attention.
    Jester02k

5. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I'm flip flopping back an forth- is their a decent picture that includes the Remora and Lunada in the same shot- a side by side shot(s) would be helpful for me

tia

6. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I found one (courtesy of milspec monkey!) - more of a difference in size than I was expecting

[img width=640 height=503]http://milspecmonkey.com/pouches/maxpedition-gearslingers-001.jpg[/img]

7. nbmaine2007

Yeah, the size difference is pretty noticeable. And I still found the Lunad too small, so that tells you even more. Would be great to have a pic with the Malaga added for a comparison of the 3.

8. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

probably time to get out my graph paper and start my etch a sketch :)

9. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

I have a Remora that I really like for EDC. It rides nicely on the CBR, it's compact, it'ds just big enough.
    I have to choose carefully what I pack. I might consider a Lunada if I were doing it over again, but then I'd
    surely have too much crap on board all the time.

10. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Here ya go nbmaine2007......all 3 lined up.

[​IMG]

Mike

11. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

great shot- thanks :) the disparity between the Remora and Lunada appears to be a little less pronounced in that pic

clearly the Malaga is too big for my needs, so that simplifies it somewhat for me

I also like a pack that is just big enough, if not I'd simply get the Lunada and be done w/ it, but if I can make do w/ a smaller pack/bag I'd choose it

12. nbmaine2007

What are you planning to carry in it?

13. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

the majority of the time it will be a "woods bumming" outfit- day trips, the usual stuff- water container nested in a small pot, my small ti stove and a couple of esbit tabs, lunch (few emergency rations), poncho, cordage, small FAK, small repair kit, small headlamp, TP, Heatsheet, garbage sack, gloves, hat and a small stuff sack w/ a insulating layer (usually a down vest)- probably a few misc items I'm missing

some of the time (not much) would be used when headed to town, Sig 239, spare mag, light, stowable jacket, misc

I think for the second scenario the remora would work, I think I might be able to get the job done in the 1st scenario w/ the remora, but not certain

14. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

I just recently made the swap from a fatboy to a remora and it is perfect for my needs. I really looked hard at the lunada, but i got the remora instead because I have a problem of when i have empty space I fill it up with stuff that i don't need or use. The remora has gotten my load down to a manageable size. My fatboy was so heavy it was uncomfortable to carry. I think the remora is an outstanding bag, but it just all depends on what you carry and how much weight you want to carry around.

15. nbmaine2007

I don't think that there is any way that your woods bumming gear fits in the Remora. I don't know the exact size of some of that stuff, but I dont think you'd get it in.

16. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

Since swapping into my remora I have been using for day hikes at local state parks. Most of these have trails anywhere from 3-7 miles. Usually stick in a nalgene bottle with water, couple of power bars, and the usual stuff like flashlight, batteries, knives and so forth. It has worked out well for that. With that being said it is too small for anything over a day hike and too small for anything overnight.

17. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

possibly not (although I'm pretty efficient packing- check my bottle holder thread), might just play it safe- if the Lunada seems to be over abundant I'm sure I can recoup a lot of the cost here in the for sale section :)

^ good to know it's working, definitely wouldn't be doing overnights w/ it (unless forced to or to practice :))

18. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

well I played it safe and ordered the Lunada :)

ebags made the decision a little easier as the had the Remora and Lunada priced the same

19. nbmaine2007

I think Lunada. The Remora is very small. So if your hiking bag just needs the essentials, that may be ok. But if you want much more, you'd want to upgrade in size.

20. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

my Lunada arrived and I think it's going to be just the right size, which means the Remora would have came up short- I'm sure I could have made it work, but it will be nice to have work just as :)