1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Matthew Martin Pens

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by trojansteel, Jan 7, 2015.

1. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Anyone have any of these pens? I just ordered a bronze 375 clicky pen.... seems like a more rugged Tactile Turn pen. I also think it shares the same clicky mechanism found in the Tactile Turn and a few of the other "tactical" pens.

tmedina likes this.
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm interested to hear your opinion. I've been eyeing his pens, along with one of the Shaker models - I just have to rebuild my budget after the carnage that was the holiday sales season. :/

3. trojansteel

The other nice thing about the MM pens is that they're reasonably priced. The one I ordered was only $65 bux.

4. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Ti 375 and it is my favorite everyday pen. It gets the nod over my Ti Maxmadco and I prefer it (and the Maxmadco) to the TiBolt.

The size of the 375 Mini is just right and the clicky is a joy to use.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Martin Mini clicky in brass, it is just awesome from looks and feel to the workmanship.

So much so, that I got another but the second is a titanium screw cap from the 500 series.

I haven't used any of my other fine pens since I received my Martins.

6. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

Matthew Martin is the one type of pen that I have been interested in but haven't tried yet. I like the 375 style but I hate Space Pen refills. Finally shot an email out to Matthew about making one to take Parker refills. He can't do metal barrels in that style any longer than standard as he can't drill them that deep, but the carbon he uses comes in a tube so he said he could do one a little longer to work with Parker refills using a carbon body. So, in a few weeks I'll have a custom 375 carbon for Parker refills on the way to me. Excited to finally try one!

7. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

I have the Mathew Martin mini click in titanium and copper. They are by far my favorite pens. I like the clicky so I also have the Tactical Turn Shaker and the Karas Kustoms Retrakt.

8. trojansteel

Just arrived, and bronze 375 is so nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Man, I have got to stay out of this thread - I don't need a custom pen.

Nighted and KODIAKman like this.
  10. trojansteel

You need a custom pen.

Nighted and JustinJ like this.
  11. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

How do you like the grooves on the maxmadco ? I can't decide which version to get.

12. trojansteel

So the surface of Ti (seen on the left), by it's nature, provides much greater friction than SS (middle). The Ti definitely does not need the threads. The SS is pretty slippery, and I find the grooves pretty helpful. I think they'd be especially necessary if i were wearing (non-leather) gloves. However, I haven't handled a non-grooved SS... I can't definitively say they're necessary. I will say that the grooves on the MMC are sharper than the Martin... Although they are way more shallow. Also, my girlfriend say's she doesn't like the grooves (speaking of the MMC), but I don't know if she realizes that the SS provides way less friction than the Ti.

TiBoy likes this.
  13. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Thanks. Which one do you write with more often? SS or Ti? Does the Ti version offer better balancing?

14. trojansteel

I'm not really sure which offers better "balancing." What is the optimal balancing for a pen? I almost always use the Ti one - it's much lighter. Although, I prefer the heft of the SS. Also, since the Ti was damaged and repaired, it has a more robust tip. The MMC tips are pretty delicate. I imagine if I had dropped the SS version it would have been bent way more given the inertia.

15. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Balancing is entirely personal preference.

"Some writers may want a tip heavy pen to help eliminate writers hand fatigue or an illustrator may want a heavier backed pen to help with the pen tip pressure for the delicate nuance of fine lines in an illustration."

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  16. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I prefer the clicky pens to the screw lid pens. I owned one of the 500 series pens, long before they were called that and it was a great pen. I just found that for me, the act of unscrewing and screwing the cap was not my preference. Plus, when you have ADHD tendencies, a clicky pen is much more practical.:)

Russ Prechtl and tmedina like this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bored. Bored.

Click.

Ooooh.

Clickclickclickclick. Bored.

Ooooh.

Click.

18. trojansteel

Nice graphic. Well, then I can't tell you which has "better" balancing, as it is a matter of personal preference. If you like a heavy pen, go for the SS. When I get home I can tell you how it's balanced, or maybe someone else can tell you in the mean time.

TiBoy likes this.
  19. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yep, precisely. In this way, a $0.50 Bic clicky pen is practically ecstasy. :)

20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Seriously. There is no greater hell than sitting in one spot with nothing to distract.