1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Marker light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ajacobs, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

I am not really a flashlight guy. Does anyone know of a marker light that has a slow strobe feature that lasts for days? It doesn't have to be very bright.

I am thinking something like a pak lite with a run time of a month. But It should have a strobe feature.

2. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Glo-Toob Lithium is what you're looking for.

3. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

I have a glo toob lithium but I don't remember the runtime. I was thinking something more simple with a longer pak light type runtime of at least a month. Doesn't need to be nearly as bright. Something that is only as bight as the light on my computer printer would be fine.

4. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

A CPF member is doing a runtime test of the HDS EDC in locator flash mode. Here's the thread.

Last time I checked, it was 29 months and still going... :shocked:

5. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I don't think anybody's measured "blink mode" runtime on the Toob. Judging from other lights, I'm willing to bet it would be at least a couple of days of continuous operation.

If you already have one, why not run a test yourself?

6. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

What exactly did you want it for? Would it be a "help me find my pack in the dark," a "I might be stuck in a cave," or "lost at sea" kind of situation?

How far away should it be visible? Feet, yards, miles?

Why would you need it to run continuously for several days? Don't want it shut off, can't shut it off, or will shut it off but want a really long battery life?

See how different purposes would mean different suggestions?

7. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

I want it to be used as a marker for a non life or death use. I need many of them and they need to last at least a month. Only needs to be visible from maybe 10 feet at night and a slow strobe is fine. They do not need to even be visible during the day. No one would be visiting the light to shut it off dayly so I would be fine with the only way to shut it off is taking the battery out.

I would imagine for someone who know anything about electronics (i.e. Not me) It would be simple to make something like a pak-light with single mode (flash). With a runtime of like 50 days similar to the pak-light.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong area - it isn't really a flashlight as much as it is just a blinking led.

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

You specified strobe capability, but on the off-chance that strobe isn't a hard-and-fast requirement, you might consider tritium glowrings. Useful life of several years, visibility-distance meets your requirements and, of course, no batteries needed. I've used for some time as markers on keyrings, gear bags etc. and am satisfied.

9. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Gotta ask -- 50 days constant running?

I don't know of anything that would run that long. Maybe a strobe Krill from Kriana if it was rigged with other than 2xAA's but even that would probably go past a couple of weeks. Most anything I can think of would be hard pressed to go past 2 weeks at the most.

Tritium would be the way to go but most of the vials are not legal in the US (gasp! the horror! If you had a skazillion of them you might be able to build your own nuclear plant). I know, I know... Jeez, but smoke detectors are more dangerous than tritium glow rings.

Pak Lite with a lithium 9V would be about it.

10. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

The Glo-Toob site says they're visible from 2 miles away.

Let's clarify a little something... do you want "strobe" (think police cruiser lights flashing) or blinking (on/off at a set rate)? That will influence runtime.

Nothing on runtime their website, but it's likely at least a week (again, depending on which of the blinking rates you choose).

Edit to add:
    19 hours to 50% output, (on the constant high setting)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2822418&postcount=24

Again, blinking settings usually have crazy runtimes.

What's the minimum runtime you're willing to accept? Put a fresh cell in your Toob, set it to whatever setting you're interested in, and check every other day (or so) until you're not happy with the output. :)

11. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the help guys.

Yep blinking is fine as opposed to strobe. The Pak Lite says 1200 hours (50) days on low. So I thought it might be a possibility. The minimum I could go would be a month. But it doesn't have to be pocketable easily. Something like A deck of cards size (3 or 4 Lithium 9v's) would be fine. Doesn't have to be bright at all.

I just had an idea and might have to check it out. I know they sell fake security cameras for 10 bucks or something like that that have a blinking red led that runs off a 9v. They probably run a month or so I would think before you have to change the battery maybe I will order one of them and take it apart.

12. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Well, I once made a couple of 9V LED lights with my son (stuffed a 9V batt in a film canister, wired an LED and a resistor). We used it to read every night for over a year and the darned thing kept on going and going and going...

BTW, I shot Toob's CS an e-mail about the blinking runtime; let's see what (if) they reply.

Edit to add:
    I found a reference to "24 - 100 hrs of constant use on one battery (dependant on mode and battery selection)" [primary batts last longer]
    http://www.lightstheway.com/product/GTL-W

This guy has a graph with 54 hours:
    http://www.light-reviews.com/glo-toob_lithium/

Probably depends on LED color too...

Anywhoo... that's *at least* 4 days of solid on (max, I assume). The slow blink is *really* slow.

I tell ya, ajacobs, feed your Toob with a fresh batt and let's see how long it goes! :roof:
    (I'm curious myself now)