1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac titanium field automatic watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by aicolainen, Aug 17, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Just noticed this new model from Maratac, and I think it´s really interesting.
    The combination of material, size and lume quality is a rarity in the watch world.

My only complaint is that Maratac seem to have moved away from the Miyota movements entirely.
    This watch with a Miyota 9015 shold be able to push close to 11mm i thickness, or should I say slimness. And you get 4Hz/8bps sweep smoothness.

Anyway, had to give it a try. I´ll probably write a few words about it after I´ve had it for some time

2. aicolainen

Oh, and another thing, CountyCOMM ships outside the US! Finally.
    Not sure how long they have been doing that, but that previous arrangement where you had to order through USgoBuy was really preventive (which ain´t all bad, off course), and even another company that wanted a piece of the cake, so I kind of lost interest in their stuff.

3. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

I know its been less than a month since the original post but do you have any opinions yet of the watch... it keeps calling my name with every Countycomm email I get and im running out of reasons not to give in. Thanks

Jed Livingston likes this.
  4. Jed Livingston

Jed Livingston Empty Pockets

Agreed. I really like the looks of this one.

5. aicolainen

Well, if there is one benefit to owning too many watches, it´s that if you buy a new watch that isn´t quite ready to go right out of the box, there is always another watch you can wear instead. Off course, the flipside to that is nothing happens to solve the initial problem, because you don´t have to.

The truth is that the first problem/nitpick I ran into is the weird lug widt they chose for this design. 18mm is kind of rare in tool watches for grown up men, which is also why I don´t have any straps in that size. Off course I knew this from the spec sheet, but still it didn´t occur to me that I should get some 18mm two piece straps from Maratac.

You might be thinking, why is this an issue since it ships with a strap? Well, there is these small but important (to watch nerds) things like watch thickness, proportions, fit and all of that.
    The watch is quite thick for its diameter (knew that too from the specs) and the zulu strap just magnifies this issue beyond my comfort level, the whole thing just sits really weird on my wrist.

This is a watch I would really like to like, because there are lots of great elements here that is hard to find in most other mil/pil watches out there, but I also feel they wasted some of its potential with some of these weird design choices.
    However, I do think a solid two piece strap in thick-ish leather, canvas or nylon might just lower the center of gravity and even out the proportions just enough to make it work. I just haven´t had time to go and find such a strap, so in the meantime all I can tell you is that the watch looks pretty OK sitting in a watch box ;-)

MichiganMan likes this.