1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac Pilot Automatic

Discussion in 'Watches' started by dr.craign, Dec 26, 2010.

1. rukrem

rukrem Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, the strap is a stock Hamilton strap ... impossible to find & expensive. I think the only way to purchase one is directly through Hamilton. However, it is a great strap ... the canvas is a very high quality textile and the bund is easily removable.

2. Bauzen

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

I have a Maratac Pilot, and the movement gets stuck every morning at 6:11:12am.
    If I shake it, it continues to run as normal and keep great time.

It's only a few months old and I'm having problems with it.
    County Comm told me to send it back. I have to get around to doing it.

3. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

Dang. Well, you have a real beauty there.

On another note, I have had my Maratac Pilot for a month now, with no problems. It keeps perfect time and looks great sitting on a black four-buckle Zulu strap. However, the movement is surprisingly loud when winding and the automatic winding counter-weight (or whatever it is) can just about be heard across the room whenever I move my arm. Other than that, I really dig this watch.

4. N05J3W3

N05J3W3 Empty Pockets

The 'pilot' style watches by Maratac, Steinhart, and many other companies are all copies of WWII-era German flight 'B-Uhren' spec watches. This style has been popular for several years, since the spec tends to result in a watch that is distinctive, legible, and durable. Many watch companies offer a similar model.

The Citizen/Miyota movement identified by the OP is a perfectly good automatic movement used in many watches built to a specific price-point. I have no experience with the Maratac mentioned, but the Miyotas I have owned [for several years] are robust, reliable, and accurate. They can be serviced by any decent watch repair tech. Parts are easy to obtain. Maratac would spec this movement for all the right reasons, as would Steinhart and others.

As for quartz/mechanical: There are arguments in support of each. Compared to a quartz, the Miyota would not need to be opened until it needs routine servicing [probably 5 years, maybe more], thus maintaining a better case seal than a quartz watch that requires more frequent battery changes.

To be clear: Maratac, Steinhart, and many other companies tend not to 'make' watches. At best, they order parts from a variety of vendors, and assemble them in batches. The crystals, casework, straps, and hands tend to be stock parts that are readily available to anyone. B-Urhen style parts are ubiquitous, and allow 'pilot watches' to become a popular model in most watch company product lines. This is not a bad thing, since a smart company can combine the best parts in an optimized design. But let's not confuse that process with watchmaking. What a company like, say, RGM would do is quite different.

The are many Swiss and Asian watch supply houses that will spec and assemble batches of watches to order, for retailers [or watch brands] anywhere. I think this is far more likely the case for Maratac. It may be an advantage in that the contractor assembling would have more technical and QA experience in this regard than the retailer.

TimeZone or the Military Watch Resource are both good sources for more detailed reading on pilot watches.

Maratac is probably best known among watch enthusiasts for good quality NATO/G-10 straps. At this price, I would not hesitate to try one of their watches.

Last edited by N05J3W3, Jul 15, 2012
    bj_key2003 likes this.
  5. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

want one, can't find it :-(

6. Orvis5585

Orvis5585 Loaded Pockets

I just got one for my birthday yesterday and I love it. Most of my watches are expensive swiss made made mechanicals that keep near perfect time so I have not had it long enough to compare yet. I have heard good things and the one I have has been good so far.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Hey! First I wanted to say, thanks sooo much for all the great info. I love watches, have a few, but admit to not knowing much when it comes to this particular style. I wanted to buy the Maratac Pilot but am concerned from the few complaints I have read on this forum. I was hoping to ask for your opinion on brand/watch, if possible.

I like big watches 44mm... 46 even better. I wanted a sterile pilot, still do. I am not a commando, but do like to know my watch is tough enough to use while being semi-active. I don't swim with it, but would like to wash my hands with it on.. lol. Any suggestions would be awesome.

OH, and thanks.. you got me googling about that Hamilton. Sweet watch. How do you like it, now that its been a few?

8. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Argh! Can't find that Hamilton in stock anywhere! Guess I am late to the party. :censored:.

9. moxy

moxy Loaded Pockets

Not to raise a dead thread but I've been looking at the Maratac, Steinhart's, and Hamilton Kahi's for a while now. My brother picked up a Maratac, and then ditched it within a week for an Omega Planet Ocean. I tend to like manual wind watches instead of automatics but the price on that Maratac is so inviting it's hard to pass up. I'm leaning toward the Hamilton currently but still love the Steinhart. Does anyone that has owned a Hamilton and one of the other two have anything negative to say that would sway me to the Maratac or the Steinhart?

10. RexHavoc

RexHavoc Loaded Pockets

That model seems to be retired according to Maratac.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yup, no longer available.

12. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I have one of the 1st run...The big one. Think the case is 46mm or bigger. It has a very thick dome sapphire crystal. It performs flawlessly. IMHO, it's a top-notch robust watch.