1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac Pilot Automatic

Discussion in 'Watches' started by dr.craign, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

This watch actually came to me last night. Ive been wearing it all last night and all day today. When I got the watch, I didnt like the provided strap, so I threw on my black nato strap and it fits well. The time is accurate enough. It has only been a day. The good thing about this watch movement is the fact that, aside from winding your watch with your movements, you can also hand wind this watch. So far, I am loving this watch. The watch face is very plain and the numbers just pop off the face. For now, this will be my EDC watch.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Once a year? More like once every 3 to 5 years.

3. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

I have had this watch for two weeks now and it keeps great time, but I don't monitor every second. The factory strap is junk, so if you order one you may what to pick out a nice Zulu for it. It is very big and wears nice due to the crown at 4 o clock. I have read that it is made by Citizen for Maratac, I could be wrong. I am also not crazy about the tiny second hand, it is very hard to see. The lum is awesome and the domed crystal makes the numbers pop, all in all the watch is a winner.

4. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

monocrom with every battery watch i have owned thru the years,,the original battery seems to last twice as long as the manuel states..after when i changed the battery,,seldom got over a year with any of them,,

5. dr.craign

dr.craign Loaded Pockets

Im just worried about 5 to 10 minutes GAINING/LOSING per DAY. I've got a really bad taste in my mouth with another company. Freaks me out.

6. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

its 5/10 secs a day..if it was mins, you may have a defective watch.

7. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

its 5/10 secs a day..if it was mins, you may have a defective watch.

Sorry for the Double POST!!

8. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Actually, that mark is pretty common for pilot watches. Seen the same one on IWC, Chronofighter and others.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the clarification. I've owned a handful of watches with quartz movement. Only one, an old Casio, was worn for many years with more than one battery change. Nothing wrong with my other battery-powered watches. It just turned out that the old Casio was on my wrist longer than the others. New battery lasted over a year. Had it swapped out by a real jewler. Some places have no qualms putting old batteries into a customer's favorite watch.

I must admit though, I hope my new Citizen Eco-Drive is just as accurate and tough as my quartz watches. If it is, I'll buy another one to use for daily wear, and keep the other one around for fancy occasions.

10. JML

JML Loaded Pockets

I would be willing to bet that Maratac's pilot watch was made in China, with a Miyota (Citizen) movement, given the price. I doubt it has a Citizen-sourced case or was assembled by Ciitizen, although one never knows... The Miyota movements are available to many assemblers, and it would be unusual for Citizen to create a unique case and dial for a watch that was probably produced in very small numbers.

11. pataphysician

pataphysician Empty Pockets

i got the watch for my birthday, dec 18th and set it at 1 pm using time.gov, i just reset it using the same time source and it had picked up 68 seconds in 12 days or about 5.66 a day. not bad. i'll definitely cosign that the strap it came with is junk, mine now resides on an orange zulu strap.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The look is clearly Steinhart. But the price and Citizen movement means it's a good-looking clone instead of a bargain-priced real thing.

The stock strap isn't bad. CC sells them seperately. But they were clearly designed for thin, light-weight, military, field models. Certainly not for a pilot's watch that is that big, thick, and likely heavy. Zulu strap is a much better idea. Little more than a minute every 12 days is quite good for an automatic. Please let us know if it gets better or worse.

13. mayran

mayran Empty Pockets

The marking at the 12:00 position is fairly common to pilot style watches, usually referred to as "fliegers". The Miyota movement is a solid automatic movement and is used quite often and I believe it is the stock movement for Citizen watches. As far as accuracy, they can be dialed in to be very accurate, but only by someone who knows what they are doing. Depending on the company that is assembling the watches, they may be dialed in to be very accurate or hardly at all. If you get one that is off by several minutes a day, a reputable jeweler should be able to adjust it for you. I have a couple of watches with Miyota movements and they are quite accurate. Even Swiss auto movements (ETA, Sellita, Valjoux, Valgrange, etc.) can be off by a lot if not properly dialed in. Five seconds a day, as someone stated above is quite accurate. If you are interested in accuracy specifications, look up COSC certification.

I am a bit of a watch nerd.

14. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I've got an old Seiko automatic self wind sitting in the drawer that needs work. One of these days I'll send it back to Seiko, but I know it will cost me a mint for a cleaning and to fix the band (yes, mechanical watches need to be cleaned regularly). Got it in the 1980s I think.

But so far I'm happy with the Maratac (err...Marathon...) low end model I bought at County Comm about a year or two ago. Keeps good time, electronic, easy to read, very light, and it seems resistant to scratches. When the nylon band gets dirty I just clean it with a bit of alcohol. It just works, I don't have to worry about it. Not a huge weight on my wrist like the old Seiko. But one of these days I'll get it fixed, when I feel flushed with cash. Maybe, maybe.

15. brainchill

brainchill Empty Pockets

Miyota and Citizen is a japanese movement and company not a chinese. The movement only is made in Japan and the watch was created specifically to meet the specs for a government contract. I've never seen a case/crown exactly like this anywhere on the commodity components market so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was made specifically for this project and if that is the case there is a big chance that they would spin up citizen directly for that.

As for the Steinhart thing. It's not a copy of a Steinhart it's a twist on a traditional german pilot dial watch which is what the Steinhart watches are a copy of. As far as I know I haven't seen a Steinhart watch that wasn't a copy of something.

16. rukrem

rukrem Loaded Pockets

I like the fact that this watch has an actual WR to it versus competitor pilot variants ... now when will they be back in stock already :)

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Best to email County Comm, and ask.

It's odd. I visit the CC website often, and this is the first time that item has ever shown up as being Out of Stock.

18. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I've worn one of these daily for about ~4 months.

Overall, I like it.

My understanding is the 21 jewel Miyota movement in this watch is not the creme de la creme of watch movements, but rather a pretty good one for the money. For people who like knives, let's say it's a Delica, not a Sebenza. It's a high value performer.

I'm just getting into watches, sort of, and I wanted an automatic that didn't suck and this was a reasonable way to start as I like some the unique features.

Pros:

It does wear pretty well, no visible scratches on the crown/bezel etc.

Keeps time well, and it seems fairly well made.

It's fun to listen to the movement. XD

Some people, like me, love the design aesthetic. It's so clean and spartan. Occassionally I run into somebody who really likes jewelry or accessories who likes my watch, and the main reason I like it is because it does not look like jewelry at all, so I get the best of two worlds there. I've been told it's me, whatever that means. Regardless, I just dig it.

The main thing I do love about it is how gloriously analog and singular it is in its purpose, how self contained and purposeful it is, in start contrast to the digital devices I normally have to rely on for time keeping.

Works like they say it does. No complaints. I figure it will serve for a long time.

Cons:

It is a big watch. Personally I like this, it makes it easier to use. But for a lot of people this is a con.

I did replace the band. This is more of a personal problem, most watch bands seem to be just about 1" too short. I actually got one of the monster 17" bands CC sells and cut it down a bit. If I could find an Italian rubber watch strap that would actually fit me, that might be the way to go, but this works. Regardless the one that comes with it is functional but I agree it's a bit chitzny.

I didn't realize until I had it that a daily wearer, for me, probably benefits more from a date function. I love the clean face a lot but I guess I could sacrifice a little bit of that aesthetic perfection for a date window. Just something to think about.

The lumicescent material on the face actually does work pretty well, but if you're used to Indiglo or something, you can forget that it has to be "charged" from an external light source and it doesn't seem to hold a "charge" as long as you might like. Occassionally I've spent a whole day indoors or been out in the dark for several hours, look down and see... nothing. Not a big deal if you have a flashlight handy to zap it with but it can be annoying sometimes.

And I think you can get something pretty similar for the same amount of money that might appeal to more people. The Seiko Military comes to mind. I think most people who would consider this watch would like that one better and it's cheaper. I may get one of these next myself.

However I've no plans to replace my Pilot's watch. It's a niche product but it's my niche.

19. rukrem

rukrem Loaded Pockets

The Miyota movement in the Maratac is a decent reliable workhorse that should perform well over time.

However, when compared to the ETA 2824-2 used in the Automatic Steinhart Pilot Watches
    [​IMG](central seconds)
    [​IMG]
    -the Miyota is non-hacking (second hands do not stop when you pull out the crown); and it has a lower bph at 21,600 versus 28,800 for the ETA; and is not as refined.

The Steinhart with the manual wind (the seconds at the 9 position), on the other hand, utilizes the Unitas 6497 (one of my all time favorite movements) [​IMG].
    This movement is basically a pocket watch movement. Similiar to the Miyota it does not hack and has a lower bhp than the ETA 2824. However, it is highly decorated and visible through an exhibition caseback. Plus it is a real joy to wind every other day ...

Steinhart does not have any affiliation with the Maratac Pilot. The "12" marker is a common design element from WWII German 'Flieger' watches that were made by IWC, Laco, Stowa, and two others I am forgetting ... but you can see the similarity ...

LACO: [​IMG]
    STOWA: [​IMG]

Another thing to consider -the Maratac watch is WR to 50m whereas the Steinhart pilot watches have very limited WR. The Maratac has a screw in crown and the Steinharts do not. I have had two Steinahrt pilot models and they are great looking beefy watches. But they are about $250 more than the Maratac. The Maratac is really a nice deal IMO if you want a multi-purpose pilot you can abuse on a regular basis. The Steinharts, although robust, are less geared towards being utilized as a tool/ field watch.

I was considering the Maratac to replace my Steinart but the lack of refinement and the movement put me off ... after some research I decided on this Hamilton Khaki Mechanical in 44mm instead. It utilizes the Unitas 6497; WR to 100m and just looks great. Plus it fits nicely under shirt cuffs :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kombi likes this.
  20. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

That is a beautiful looking strap on the Hamilton. Would you mind telling a little more about it? Like where I might find one?