1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac Pilot Automatic

Discussion in 'Watches' started by dr.craign, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dr.craign

dr.craign Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know anything about the quality of this watch from CountyComm?

http://www.countycomm.com/maratacpilotauto.htm

The movement is a japanese movement from Miyota. Not all that great from what I have read, but Maratac is supposed to be a really good watch from what I have read. Just trying to figure out why they would put a not-so-good movement in a really good watch. Would love it if someone had evidence to the contrary.

Thanks

C

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I thought the Miyota was a decent movement when I looked it up... maybe there's mixed reviews out there.

3. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Isn't Maratac just CountyComm's house brand?

4. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I think you may be thinking Marathon. That is another brand they sell that many people consider to be great watches. I have not heard anything about the new pilot watch. Looks great though. Maybe if it were a little less expensive I would try one out, but $200 bucks is a lot for a non-watch brand company considering your options at that price point.

5. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of Marathon watches and have a couple. I wear a JSAR most days. I bought the new Maratac Pilot Watch. While I'm not a huge fan of automatics, it is a relatively inexpensive watch and I like the clean face. It is a large watch, but I have wrists like a tree trunk so it suits me. I did replace the band with a ZULU band. So far so good.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Wow! If that's not a Steinhart, then it's a :censored: good clone of one. Steinhart is a very small, and I mean very small, Germany outfit that makes quality watches that average folks have never heard of. The look of the 12 o'clock on the face, along with that crown, is what has me convinced. Those are Steinhart characteristics.

To put things in perspective, if you e-mail Steinhart, the owner of the company will likely be the one e-mailing you back! No joke. I've heard he's also one of the nicest human beings to deal with in the watch industry. Yeah . . . maybe small isn't the right word. Perhaps tiny? No shops in the U.S. or most of the world that carry that brand. You generally have to order online. If there's a problem, you send the watch all the way back to Germany to get it serviced. But excellent C.S. from what I hear.

Like I said, if it's not a Steinhart; then that is one perfect clone.

7. TuffWriter

TuffWriter Banned

Wow... that is a huge crown on that thing.

Steinhart makes some great watches but I believe that they tend to use ETA movements.

8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I think you are right on Steinhart being the manufacturer. I think that 12 o'clock marker is the clincher.
    [​IMG]

Oh, I bet the Miyota movement is why the watch is $200 and not $600 like the typical Steinhart.

9. dr.craign

dr.craign Loaded Pockets

SALT...I think you are right...I must be thinking of Marathon watches. I still think this Maratac is a sweet looking watch...and monocrom ...think you are right on spot...who knows...it might be the knockoff. I just spoke with my watch guy earlier. He says Miyota's are ok, but if you can get an ETA movement, pound for pound, one of the best. I have a nasty habit of buying stuff online, and by the time it gets to me, I hate it. So have a stack of stuff that I bought online at a good price and got it, and find out that I hate it....then the wife gets MAD!!!! Cuz there is this little corner with a stack of stuff that I've been meaning to get to...to sell on ebay or craigslist. I had an Invicta mako for years, fantastic watch, had a miyota movement, according to my watch guy...worked great never any problems...til it met the hard marble floor....funny how sometimes watches just stop working after you drop'em.

Grayman- Is the watch fast or slow throughout the day? Do you constantly have to set the time? I am not anal about the time, but losing/gaining 5 to 10 minutes a day gets me pretty steamed.

10. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So far it has been spot on for time.

11. dr.craign

dr.craign Loaded Pockets

That's good then, how long have you had it grayman?

MonoCrom....I'm freakin in love with these Steinharts now...freaking great. Im sure you can get'em shipped to the 'States...have you personally ...um......umm..fondled one?

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Only about a week.

13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

generally automatic watches gain or lose 15 or 20 seconds a day..i have two sieko monsters than gain a little each day..
    i re-adjust them maybe twice a week

14. dr.craign

dr.craign Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't go crazy with 15 to 20 seconds a day, I bought a seiko in October, gained 20 minutes a DAY! I couldn't stand it. Had it recalibrated, sent back...PS ended up getting my money back. My watch guy says Seikos aren't what they used to be. From what I hear, Citizens are fast also. Comes down to quality control, not calibrating the watch properly. I guess I was spoiled with my Invicta Mako...was spot on everyday, maybe lose a minute or 2 a month.

Thanks Grayman for the info. I'm leaning toward ...what the hell...give it a try.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Haven't fondled one myself. Yes, you can definitely get them if you live in America. But it'll have to be online only. If you want to learn more about the brand, check out the Steinhart sub-forum on watchuseek.com (Their sub-forum is quite active.)

16. dr.craign

dr.craign Loaded Pockets

Thank You monocrom...will definitely check them out. Has that minimalist look that looks great for everyday and casual dress. Sorta Hamilton Khaki line with a little something extra.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I hope not. I got a Citizen BM7080-03E model for Christmas. Actually, I've been trying to find a watch that doesn't require a battery but that still accurately keeps time. 20 minutes a day is simply a defective watch. 15 to 20 seconds a day is unacceptable to me. Although I realize that many are perfectly fine with that amount of variation. It also has to be rugged too.

Automatics are just odd to me. Don't keep accurate time. Not as tough as a quartz movement. (Play 18 holes of golf, and then check your automatic. That pictue perfect golf swing of your's can mess with the movement.) Then at the end of the day, you place your watch in a watch winder that requires a charge to work. *Picture of confused face here* Not to mention the generally higher cost of a good automatic compared to quartz. (But there are indeed some high-end quartz movement watches.)

If my new Citizen Eco-Drive isn't accurate or tough enough, I'll consider possibly trying one of the better but less expensive automatics. (Two best examples being a Seiko 5 or Orient Mako. I just wish Orient didn't use those cheesy marketing tactics.) If that doesn't work out, I'm going back to quartz for the rest of my life.

18. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am a big fan of Steinhart watches! I have a green Ocean 1 that has a green face & bezel. I love it, it is an amazing watch.

19. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a Marathon JSAR for a number of years now. I find the watch to be accurate and very durable. I've also got a nylon cased pilots watch (Marathon) as well I like.

20. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

of course everyone likes and needs differ, my two monsters are quite new and i feel they keep very good time..
    i alternate between the two so basically they get worn every other day..i tend to think they gain time when they are fully wound..
    when i had and wore just one each day then i think the watch even kept time better..15 seconds doesnt bother me...
    and adjusting the time once a week is for me less a hassle then once a year replacing a battery..

my monsters keep way better time than the rolex i used to own...

i also have a eco drive and its years old and its my work beater and that keeps amazing good time..
    i enjoy them for what they are