1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac AAA vs Fenix LDO1

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by FerFAL, Apr 18, 2010.

1. FerFAL

FerFAL Loaded Pockets

I have the LDO1 and coulnd't be happier with it, but I'm curious about oher people's opiniion.

What's your opinon? Anyone owns both for comparison?
    Maratac claims to be the smallest but the LDO1 looks smaller to me. Stainless is nice but AL is lighter.

What do you guys think its the best AAAx1 flashlight?

Thanks

FerFAL

2. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

I have both and really lke them both. The maratac is definately smaller but the ld01 has a nice heft. As I see it the main problem with the maratac is the clip for key ring attachment, I broke mine recently and am in the process of putting a new one together.

3. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I have both. The Fenix is brighter through all 3 settings, bigger, heavier, and more expensive.
    I think I actually prefer the Maratac- smaller (isn't that the point of a AAA FL?), lighter & easier to use one handed.

4. swampinboy

swampinboy Loaded Pockets

Whats wrong with the clip ring, I just about made my mind up to get the maratac.. but it will be used as a key ring light with a short lanyard, not the pocket clip.... should I go with the fenix instead?

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have a Maratac AAA model and a Fenix L0D (same as an LD01 but with strobe and S.O.S. modes included as well).

Honestly, the Maratac AAA / iTP EOS A3 model are better than the LD01 in terms of price, pocket-carry clip, and size. The Maratac is definitely smaller than the LD01.

6. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

The Problem with the clip ring, in my case anyway is that it snapped. After a few goes at taking it on and off fatigue hit and it broke in half. I am currently attempting to fashion something out of the pocket clip becasue i dont use them.

7. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

I too broke the key ring/lanyard loop on one of mine,it never really wanted to stay on the light.the other has held up well.Otherwise the light is near perfect(needs a clicky switch).

Fox you might try a tether cord wrap ,I plan on doing the same,as the clip probably won't take bending well.

8. FerFAL

FerFAL Loaded Pockets

I take my keychain stuff pretty seriously. What if that flashlight is all you've got during a significant emergency, a few bucks of difference wont mean much to you at that time, but the quality and performance of what you have will. I'd get the LDO1 with the latest R2 LED if I were you.

FerFAL

9. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

I own several examples of both and actually prefer the the Maratac. A main factor for me is the size and weight. The Maratac is substantially smaller and lighter when it comes to AAA lights. If you don't like the key chain attachment point, have a look at the ITP instead. Both are a tremendous value. I'm carrying one of my Maratacs daily and they're constantly being dropped or left in my pockets while doing the laundry. I've not run into a single glitch or failure with one yet. Pushing the envelope even further, I'm running nothing both li-ion 10440 batteries in them.

I tested the strength of the key chain attachment point on the AA version and it actually held up very well. The AAA version, although I have no video, handled about 16lbs of stead force without breaking of bending. Here's my video of the AA version test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2AtpLxKPKY

In the end, both are great lights so if you don't mind spending the extra $ the LDO1 is just as nice and potentially even more robust.

10. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

I've seen some pics on the CPF forum replacing the clip ring with a retaining ring (not sure what size) and it said it is very strong...

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In such a case, I'd recommend getting an older L0D. You get strobe and S.O.S. modes as well. For keychain carry, the iTP version would be a better choice. The keychain ring post on the iTP EOS A3 is very good. The chain that comes attached to it isn't. Take the chain off. Put a small split ring into the post, attach to keys, and you're good to go.

12. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I had a Fenix L0D for a year or two and it was probably my most carried light (it had the SL Microstream body/switch), until I got the Maratac AAA light. I definitely like the Maratac better, and now have three of them, and will be getting the AA version the next time I place an order from Countycomm.