1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac AAA Stainless Steel mini review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by nice65, Nov 12, 2009.

1. SRC

SRC Loaded Pockets

Looking at the cave pictures really freaked me out. I didn't realise that seeing such claustrophobic images would have that effect.

I have the ITP version of the Maratac AAA. It's a great torch. I'd be interested to hear how it copes in a hostile underground environment as well.

2. ohGr

ohGr Loaded Pockets

great review, I'm really looking foward into getting this light as a backup light

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I don't have one and where I am at now there are not many wet caves.

If the head is not fully sealed. Not worried about the battery tube leaking but the head when it is removed from the tube. If it is not sealed it is not suitable for floods and a battery change being required, nor being caught in pouring rain to a drenched state, or any change of battery that would expose the rear of the head.

4. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

AWESOME PICS!

Which of those pics are of our fearless leader?

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The truth is I don't think this light would measure up for some things.

When i did this sort of thing I carried $1000.00 worth of lights. We are talking only 5 lights. The head lamp I used was $400.00 the way I had it set up.

Some people I know did a rescue operations in this. This map represents 125 miles mapped so far.

lechiguila

Not only one entrance shows up. One is a top view the other is a side view. Not how much climbing is involved. Think of the batteries required ;D

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am not in any of those pics but there are pics of me underground doing a 300 yard crawl where I thought I was going to get stuck a few times. I will try and find them.

7. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Severely claustophobic.

Those pics make want to lie down outside on my back and soak in the sky and sunshine! >shiver<

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Going down

[​IMG]

[img width=479 height=640]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/jonsidneyb/cavegoingdown.jpg[/img]

I would love to see cheve before I die.

I guess I have totally hijacked this thread. These people put their money where there mouth is when it comes to lights. I guess I am saying we all judge lights differently. What defines a good light. Perhaps it is in the eye of the user if something is quality.

9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The UPS truck just pulled away...I love this little light. It seems very well made and is surprisingly bright with a normal alkaline AAA battery. I am impressed.

10. Robotrogue

Robotrogue Loaded Pockets

Same. I'm mildly claustrophobic, but those pictures almost put me into a fit of panic.
    Clearly caving is not in my list of 'things to try before I die...'

11. njet212

njet212 Loaded Pockets

I own the Maratac AAA, its a nice flashlight. Small, Easy to carry, Decent light output for such a small light. But there are somthing i don't like about this flashlight. When you intended to carry as a flashlight keychains watch for the attachment point, it's really weak. I broke mini when i tried to take the clip off. Second thing i don't like about this flashlight, when i changed the mode using 1 hand, I noticed the clip also moving around when i loosened and tightened the head. Actually you could glued the clip but you could removed the clip and clipped it on the hat.

Here's a picture my modified Maratac AAA. I duct taped the clip so it won't moved around when i change the mode and i put a lanyard to make it as neck-torch.

[​IMG]

12. Druthu

Druthu Loaded Pockets

I picked one up to put on my EDC Key Chain....it is nice....I am not to fond of the way I have it attached to my keys.
    Duct tape is a nice solution.

13. Brian321

Brian321 Empty Pockets

I may be rather late to this thread but those cave pictures are AMAZING. Now im gonna have to put that on my to do list for this summer. :woohoo:

P.S. How does the Maratac compare to the streamlight stylus pro?

14. blackhatch

blackhatch Empty Pockets

Man those cave pics gave me the heeebie jeebies! I have seen alot of crazy stuff on the computer but none have ever gave me that weird clausterphobic feeling!

WOW! can you start a pic thred somewhere i would love to see more!

has anyone ever gotten stuck? has anything scary ever happened?MORE DETAILS!

I would also love to see some of your gear! more pics please :)

15. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

I wondered about the durability of this light. I guess for a general purpose house light it fits the bill. Cool, think I'll get one!

16. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I like my black Maratac AAA except for the clip that moves and bends easily. Another EDCF member gave me a list of mechanical pencils
    whose clips fit the Maratac. Bought one but haven't tried a new clip yet. I think I'll continue with the old clip until it really fails, because
    prying off and putting on a new clip risks scratching the finish. Used it just tonight to look at my car tires in the dark. I'm finding new uses
    for this little light. Can't beat it for the price, I think. Thinking about getting a polished stainless version, though light technology moves so
    fast that lights become outmoded quickly, right?