1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac AAA Stainless Steel mini review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by nice65, Nov 12, 2009.

1. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

MARATAC AAA

Specifications

Length 2.7", Diameter 0.5"
    Body: 300 series stainless steel with non-glare bead blast finish
    LED: Cree XR-E Q5
    Reflector: Aluminium alloy
    Lens: Anti-reflective coated glass
    Reverse polarity protection
    3 levels of brightness: 1.5 lumens (50 hrs), 18 lumens (4 hours), 62 lumens (48 minutes)

[​IMG]

This is a superb little light, I'm very impressed with it. It always comes on at medium brightness which easily provides enough light for most tasks. Should your eyes be very adjusted to darkness then a quick one-handed twist on/off and it's in low mode. Another on/off twist and it's in high mode. Logical and dead simple. The aggressive knurling facilitates this so it isn't fiddly at all.

[​IMG]

The torch comes with a pocket clip and a lanyard loop, both are very secure. As this torch is so tiny both of these help with grip in the hand, you don't feel as if you could drop it. The stainless steel gives it a good solid feel.

[​IMG]

Tiny, very bright and very simple. The 3 light levels have been chosen sensibly, each having a definite use. This is a little toughie that I'll have no qualms pocketing with keys and coins. Highly recommended EDC. I know there is already a Maratac AAA review here but this little addition to the family deserves a mention.

2. Timecacher

Timecacher Loaded Pockets

I have the stainless steel version also and it's proven to be as near perfect a light as I've owned for EDC carry. I've heard other people say they wished it started out on low mode but after using it for a while, I'm glad it's set to come on in medium mode first. I carry a Fenix P1D CE in my other pocket but it rarely gets used since I discovered this little gem.

3. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Is there a tail-end clicky at the end? If it does that will seal the deal with me!

4. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

This one doesn't come with a tail end clicky, sorry. If you're looking for a 1xAAA clicky, take a gander at the Liteflux LF2XT.

Nice review by the way, I own the aluminum version. O0 It very surprisingly replaced my Arc.

5. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

How does it turn on?

Found it!

6. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I just ordered one yesterday thanks to your review. I can't wait to get it. :woohoo:

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Does anyone know if these are potted?

8. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I've had my stainless version for 3 days now and it has replaced my Nitecore EX10 as my edc light. I think it is the perfect combination of brightness, size, and battery. I am very happy with mine.

Thanks for the review!!!

9. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

What is 'potted' Jon. You Americans ;)

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Potted.

The electronics are sealed via a potting compound. I think all lights should have some method of a complete seal from the inside when the battery tube is off.

Some lights you can change the battery while underwater. You never know when you need to change a battery in a rainstorm. There are NSS members who have changed batteries while in the water.

11. Cuso

Cuso Loaded Pockets

Yes it is and its a pain to remove, but some people have done it.. The board apparently is a 2 piece design or something. If you try split ring pliers on those holes, chances are you will break off the battery leads. It can be done, but you must be willing to do some soldering afterwards... You have been warned.

12. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

I understand what you mean now. Most of the modern LED lights I buy are sealed to an IP number. This means they can survive anything from dripping water to powerful water jets. Drip is IP1, submersion is IP8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

But I wouldn't open them or even switch them on or off underwater as the metal body is part of the circuit. I change batteries under my shirt if the weather is bad. To be honest I don't think the Maratac would keep working if its' internals were wet. I may be wrong, or have misunderstood potted, but it's sealed from water. Until it's unscrewed.

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Actually I have changed batteries in fish tanks many times as a demonstration. NSS members like seeing that done.

If the circuit is sealed from the back end properly there is no problem. Potting also shock isolates the assembly. While water will conduct electricity it is not near the conductor that some people think it is. I have closed up the tube full of water on a fresh battery changed will fully submerged and it works just fine on a quality light. The electricity is going to follow the path of least resistance. Adding salt and some minerals will increase it's conductivity.

While lights have gotten brighter many of them in some ways have gone backwards in some of the fine quality touches.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

A good small flashlight is one you should feel fully confident as your backup someplace like this ;D

[​IMG]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/jonsidneyb/cavingb.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/jonsidneyb/cave.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

:) You may find the Maratac slightly underpowered for caving, and I'm not putting mine in a fishtank for you. I know it's proofed against ingress of water, but I'm not sure about filling it with water, and salt!!!

Is that you in the caves? I couldn't do that, feeling the rock crushing me. Bit claustrophic due to getting trapped in a collapsed tunnel we dug as kids.

16. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Those cave pictures look like hell on earth. I wouldn't do that for love or money.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Some people mapping really long caves can be down for months. You actually don't need that bright of a light most of the time. In a city you have tons of light pollution affecting your ability to see in dark corners since your pupils do not fully open up. Underground you can get by with less light then night time backpacking. Sometimes you want a bright light to look for passages in a large room but in narrow confines you don't want bright.

What you want is efficient and bullet proof. If you are going to be down a long time run time and durability is king. Durability includes being able to change batteries while soaking wet and up to your chin in water if you have to.

It is recommended that you have five sources of light with you and you are required to have three for an NSS survey or caving event. The way I saw it, the backup light I would drag around in there is good enough for everyday use so I would often carry my backpacking and caving gear as EDC when appropriate. :)

18. SRC

SRC Loaded Pockets

Those photos have made me feel rather sick!

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Those pictures were actually quite mild.

I will explain the reason I made the post that I did.

I sometimes think that different groups can see the product in different ways. What is good for group A might not be so hot for group B and what group B finds great group A is not so keen on. I am hoping we can start qualifying products based on expectations ;D

Actually this might be a good product for use in town and everyday use making fantastic option for some people. I am not trying to cut down the product at all. I do think that all products are not extreme condition and usage products. We also have those guys who are trying to be prepared for some great disaster. These are two different groups. How about those people that want to be ready for a major flood.

I myself insist on lights being potted or in some way not allowing water in the battery compartment to cause harm with most of my light. It is not just because I used to do activities but in normal like I have been caught in the rain far from any shelter. I have been so soaked that the bills in my wallet were drenched, cell phone ruined, not a dry spot on me and it would be the middle of the night and no street light for miles. I like things bullet proof and water proof. :)

Just something to think about. ;D

20. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Can you do a test and then a review on the Maratac AAA ? I'd be interested to hear the results.