1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maratac AAA Copper Flashlight Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mhphoto, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

The endtimes place restocked so I was able to order one.

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had to do the same also. I have been watching them since they came out, but this thread made me jump on it.

3. HybridMomentsPass

great review sir!

I think that it looks really awesome, but I cant get into the look after 40 days etc

But again, thanks for the review!

4. tazambo

tazambo Loaded Pockets

great set of photos.
    Beautiful when new, individual when older and carried, I like that... ;-)

5. Lionofzion

Lionofzion Loaded Pockets

Are they still making them?

6. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

The CountyComm website says they're discontinued, and I can't find it on the endtimesreport.

7. Proforguns

Proforguns Loaded Pockets

Wow who would of thought copper could look so nice.Good looking thanks.

8. asdf0r

asdf0r Empty Pockets

Copper flashlights and copper pen?Seriously?
    Am i the only one who thinks it's just a waste of money?
    First of all copper causes skin allergies to many people or leaves green spots on the skin. Second it's easily smudged if you touch it, so every time you need to sweep it with a piece of cloth to look polished and cool. Otherwise it looks like you have intentionally left your fingerprints on the metal. Plus after some period of time and depending on use, copper develops a green patina. Take a good look a the statue of liberty and think that it's not supposed to be so green and it's mainly because it has a big amount of copper in it. In addition to that, we don't know the quality of the copper in the aspects of its hardness vs the aircraft aluminum.

Copper is good for it's heat distribution. I don't think a flashlight of this type is designed to develop high temperatures. And i certainly don't think that heat distribution is something you need in a pen. The only advantage i may think for the copper flashlight might be the fact that it 'll be heavier than an aluminum one. But for a pen i certainly don't think that this is necessary because the aircraft aluminum pens are heave enough, and using very heavy pens just make writing more tiresome if you want to write something bigger than 5 lines.

9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Maybe some people like a light they don’t have to clean? If the Statue of Liberty was riding around in your pocket and held in your hand from time to time...Ah, If would not be green. To each his own. No reason to get all negative on a thread about a specific topic you don't like. Maybe find another topic?

[​IMG]
    mumbo home by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Yes ,that knife is glitter gold..

10. asdf0r

asdf0r Empty Pockets

Got the wrong idea on me.
    I'm not judging anyone for having a copper flashlight or pen, i'm just saying it's a waste of money in my opinion.The same waste of money that a gold knife is. It's simply for showoff you don't pay for any extra functions or quality, you just pay for the material it's made of. Just as you pay for a diamond quartz watch with a crappy mechanism

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Maybe some people like gold knives and don't care about perception? If you like something go for it. Maybe it’s not judging, but it is a waste of money, right? In your opinion.

12. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

It is of my opinion,,,, Anything crafted from copper is simply AWESOME!

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk

13. asdf0r

asdf0r Empty Pockets

it is in terms of quality/price. Spending 300 bucks for a knife because it's gold doesn't make it a good knife. You surely pay for the gold buy no so sure you that you also pay for the blade quality..

14. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I'm just glad I got one before they got discontinued. I also splurged and bought one of the Copper embassy pens because I was scared that they'd also get sold out and I'd never have one.

15. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

The patina is a protective layer, not a deterioration and ive been actually trying to get mine to turn green :) Btw ive dropped them a few times and they havent dented but i did scratch one with steel.

16. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

One man's "waste" is another man's "hobby indulgence." Do I need a titanium widget when an aluminum widget will do the job? Nope. Do I need a [fill in brand name] flashlight when a MagLite will do the job? Nope. Do I need a [fill in brand name] knife when a Gerber will do? Nope.

And your point would be .... ? The forum is littered with countless examples of not "paying for extra functions or quality [but] for the material it's made of."

This would be the wrong venue to throw that logic into the discussion! ;) It's a hobby (or addiction, take your pick)! Hobbies are often all about spending money in ways that some would find illogical. In ways that please each of us in some unique way. With no explanation required.

17. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

yes i have two ladybugs, a zdp189 and an h1 and they both serve different purposes but by far the zdp189 is leaps and bounds better at edge retention but the H1 will never rust (i live by the ocean). everyone has their preference.

18. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

I have bought quite a few knives, flashlights, and multitools that I have less attachment to than this little copper flashlight. It is not the brightest, or the lightest, but it is just plain cool and has to be about the best forty bucks I have ever spent. I love the way it looks and feels and for a keychain light it functions plenty well.

[​IMG]

19. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

I have a ton of copper gear and have never gotten a rash, green skin, or any other malady. And yeah, it tarnishes, but I'm in the camp that thinks it gives the metal character. It's one of only two metals with a natural color other than silvery (the other being gold). It's not as hard as titanium, but it's not Jell-O pudding either. And some people enjoy a little heft in their tools; I know I do. By copper Embassy Pen weighs 120 grams, which is as heavy as a Mini Maglite loaded up with heavy rechargeable batteries. But I can—and do—write all day with it.

Copper's heavy, yes, but it's also insanely efficient at being antimicrobial. It kills over 99% of MRSA, e. coli, the flu, and various fungi within two to three hours. If you spend a lot of time lending your pen or light out or work in an environment where you encounter germs, expensive, heavy copper gear could potentially be a life saver.

I agree that it's too expensive considering its current market price, but if I didn't think it was worth it I wouldn't have bought it.

kkay likes this.
  20. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Are they made in the US?