1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Many of you carry alot of items on items on you...How do you make it work?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by JonSidneyB, Apr 4, 2006.

1. randal

randal Loaded Pockets

I would also worry about appearing to be a fake cop. When I was in the US last month, I was in the mall with my kids who I thought, at first, was a Deputy. The closer I got, the more I realized that he was not but was sure as hell trying to look like one. Lots of cop stuff on his belt, uniform type shirt and he was chatting up the girls at the shops. There was an instinctive creep factor that I had (I used to be a cop) and I found one of the real deputies and pointed him out. Not sure what happened but the "almost cop" look sure put him on the radar screen of the real LEOs and myself.

Just a thought.

2. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Just found a way to carry everything in my pockets including the phone. It feels great to have an empty belt. I am still gonna carry the phone on the belt though, to make room for something else in the pocket.

3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I can tell you what happened . . . Nothing.

Malls in America have security officers who dress in uniforms similar to Law Enforcement. Often wearing some of the same gear such as belts, extra belt loops, radio pouches, pouch for a pair of surgical gloves if trained in CPR / First-Aid. That sort of thing.

Armed Security Officers also go to the mall when it's time to re-fill ATM machines that are so often scattered about. (Just because a person can't get a credit card, that doesn't mean they should have a hard time accessing their money. Malls definitely make it very comfortable for consumers to spend their money.)

Most likely, you saw one or the other.

4. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Lately I'm a victim of "mission creep"--I keep finding more things I want to carry, so my EDC becomes heavier and heavier.
    I always wind up trimming down and substituting lighter, smaller items for larger ones where possible.

Keys hang from a belt clip into my pockets to save pocket space. A belt pouch (Spec-Ops; a County Comm Diplomat wore out!)
    is used for things I used to carry a wallet for, along with SAK, tweezers, mini-prybar (I may ditch that one), an extra compact
    pen (F301 compact I think) and so on. Lately I'm also carrying spare batteries for two small lights I carry, but I think I'll transfer
    that to a coat side pocket. It is too much weight.

I also find that I can carry more without my pants falling down if I wear suspenders. Helps carry the belt pouch.

But when I need suspenders that is also a sign that I am carrying too much, I think!

NutnFancy has it right, I think. Go light. Carrying around a bunch of heavy things you rarely use becomes a real drag.

5. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Before
    [​IMG]

Now: fewer items on the belt and less tactical looking, making the setup more suitable for dress pants; Zebralight H501 is now worn around neck and hidden behind shirt; AA batteries are on the belt; everything else go in front pockets. Accessing the batteries is harder now because the container has to be removed from the belt first. But sometimes form is more important than function.
    [​IMG]

6. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

Its not always "how much" you carry... it should all be functional, and only carry what you need. Everything else should be in a bag in your vehicle, or under your desk, or wherever it is you spend most of your time. You shouldnt be a walking sporting goods store...

7. JamisonM

JamisonM Empty Pockets

I carry my keys, leatherman and zippo in the front left pocket. That's the maximum I plan to put in that pocket. Anymore, and I'd have to go digging for what I need. Everything else is in my front right pocket. My wallet and on top of it my phone. My knife and light are clipped to this pocket, side by side, as well. The light behind the knife otherwise, the blade would hit the light and make things difficult.

8. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i would say im a minimalist. i carry as much in my pockets as i can comfortably. i dont wear baggy pants so its not much but i think im prepared for anything that will most likely and realistically happen. i do have a ready to go bag in my car so that keeps me from carrying a bat belt or murse/satchel. in so-cal its good to stay under the radar and not draw attention to yourself looking like youre ready for WWIII. i carry a good amount of stuff, and at the same time i am able to keep it concealed and low key which i think is important.

heres what i carry in my jeans. the only item i forgot was a pen which is usually a F-301 compact. in the pictures you can see what item goes in which pocket and how it looks when it is inside my pocket. i really like this set up. its a lot but minimal, very functional, and low key.

-ZT0551
    -F-301 Compact
    -Zippo
    -Cell Phone
    -Maratac SS AA
    -Wallet w/ Atwood ABC
    -Ti Money Clip
    -Burts Bee's lip balm
    -Key (pill fob, Atwood Ti Ghost, Atwood Brass Whistle, photon light)

Front:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

lol. wow. deploying to the sandbox are we? :laugh:

i subscribe to "whatever floats your boat", so if it works for you, great. i'd like to know what you all carry on you and how often you use it. also, i'm curious as to why you went with a drop leg holster as opposed to a maxpedition gear slinger or other similiar pack? as yes, these are serious questions. i'm not taking a shot at you.

anyways, back on topic.

i generally wear cargo pants for daily use, and jeans in social and work occasions. however, my edc is very light. a solid folding knife or leatherman (rarely both), bic lighter, keys, wallet and phone. i like to be able to move with ease and comfort.

also, i have everything i need at home, so i don't need to pack it with me. and when i'm out and about, my truck is never far away and it's got a toolbox and med kit in it.

when i'm hiking/hunting/backcountry booting, my edc grows. the amount of stuff kept directly on my person is greater, simply due to the "ya never know" factor. ie. fall in a river and lose my pack, need to spend a night and light a fire. most of it fits in pockets with snap, button, or velcro closures and on my belt.

10. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

@ Boy Surefire, have you ever been mistaken for Military, LEO, or Security?

11. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

This is what i carry.... sometimes... ok, still cant post pics correctly, nevermind

12. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've never been verbally asked etc , but I've had the sense that some people have believed me to be a (you fill in the blank). I want to make it clear that I don't ever ID/represent myself as anything other then just a gear nut to people, & to Rep/ID myself as LEO etc would be impersonating an official which is a crime IIRC.

As do I.

I don't use every last piece of gear on a daily basis, but I've pretty much built my EDC based on what I've needed at some point & didn't have. Within reason I'll carry pretty much anything, & IMO it's nice to have some gear that can used in highly public settings. Stuff will break without warning, trusted friends will ask to borrow items (sometimes when you need it too like w/flashlights), & of course having redundant items for weak-side carry is always good. Almost every item I carry has a redundant friend close at hand in another pocket or pouch/holster, so I can still produce a Muilti-Tool when only left-side items (a smaller less feature packed Leatherman Skeletool CX on the left Vs the right-side LM WAVE) can be grabbed.

What I carry:
    http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/44398-Right-here-right-now...no-cheating%21?p=969296&viewfull=1#post969296

This video should help answer some of the reasons, & I'll gladly answer whatever else you want to know...
    5.11 Tactical Thigh Rig

Understood, & I appreciate you not taking shots...

13. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Just came back from the gym. Let's see what I have.
    Clockwise:
    1. Zebralight H501
    2. Keychain
    3. Phone
    4. Wallet
    5. Emergency food
    6. Gauze roll
    7. Emergency food
    8. Spitfire pepper spray
    9. Nail clipping kit with superglue
    10. Folding toothbrush with toothpicks and food scraper
    11. Mini marker
    12. Pocket protector with more stuff
    13. Re-usable folding bag
    14. Leather gloves
    15. FAK
    16. Pocket water bottle
    [​IMG]

This is what people see. The only thing visible is the small phone clipped to the side. The Zebralight H501 is shown for the picture. It's tucked behind the shirt when not in use.
    [​IMG]

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I must concede that I am impressed. I wouldn't have thought you could pull that off.

Off topic: Are those Fiskars folding scissors? What is your impression of them?

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

A trick that I just employed yesterday is to get a piece of elastic band from the sewing section at Walmart, cut to length, and staple at intervals to hold various items flat in the pocket. It works great and I will probably eventually sew the elastic and remove the staples when I get the time to do so.

I would like to give credit to the source of the idea, but I can't find the website again. It had lanyard ideas for the Fenix E01 and some other DIY projects, but one of the projects was a battery case described that was mad by stapling a loop of elastic at intervals.

16. Gerber

Gerber Empty Pockets

This website?
    http://www.benvelo.com/

17. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Yes they are. I like them. They are a nice upgrade from the $3 folding scissors mentioned on this forum.

18. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Posted this over a month ago on CPF.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=297065&page=2

19. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's the one. In particular, I like the battery holder. I used this same set-up, but I used 2"-wide elastic band and two staples per "seam".

I current have two in my pocket. The first one has chapstick, SAK Midnite Manager, A.G. Russell clippers, and a DX Permanent Match. The second has my Jeep remote fob and a contact lens case with prescription ointment in one side and Gold Bond Hand Sanitizer/Lotion in the other side.

I'm considering attaching both to a Kydex or HDPE panel to keep them in place better, though they seem to be stacking in the pocket pretty well on their own. Now, instead of grabbing a bunch of odds and ends and putting them in my pocket, I grab my keys and two "packs" and drop them in my pocket. I'd definitely recommend this method to others.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Here is a quick snapshot of my hideously jury-rigged pocket organizer. All in all, I think it looks pretty good considering that I've invested about a foot of elastic, a rubber band and 12 staples in it.

[​IMG]

Direct Link to Pic

The rubber band is a temporary solution to keep them stacked in my pocket. The Chap Stick-SAK-tweezer-lighter row is heavier and naturally settles to the bottom. The contact lens case and remote fob ride on top. When I reach in the pocket, my fingers find the top of the fob instantly. For the record, it rides in my right front pocket.

I'm thinking of modifying it to include an extra AA battery on the bottom row and move the Chap Stick up to the top row.

Ultimately, I think I will do one of the following to achieve better rigidity:
    1) use a wide enough piece of elastic that both rows can be included on one piece
    2) stitch both bands to a piece of fabric
    3) make a fabric pouch with an upper and lower internal pocket
    4) attach both bands to a piece of Kydex, HDPE, or leather