1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Manix Moonglow

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tasmaniac, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpink

mrpink Banned

yeah u made a whole whiny informationless thread about how 'your knife doesnt close' and couldnt even get more specific than that.....really? you cant explain the problem in further detail? or you cant loosen a screw or understand the physics behind loosening a screw and the difference between a defect and something that was tightened on purpose and should have been public knowledge to people buying the knife? my instincts are telling me you are not that bright.

on 3/30 you mentioned you loved the knife. what has happened in ten days to ALL OF A SUDDEN make the knife not be able to close? are you serious?

2. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

Tas you are better than this......

3. Tasmaniac

Tasmaniac Loaded Pockets

Dude. I readily admitted that it was a whiny thread. I suppose your instincts are excellent and I'm not at all that bright.

4. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

No need for this to turn into something ugly. MR.Pink, your post added nothing of value and was the post of a troll. You may or may not be a troll but your post certainly has the markings of something such a person might say/type.

Everyone relax, I'm sure Tasmaniac can and will solve his problems. No need to antagonize him, especially after he posted an (admittedly vague, a little unclear, and somewhat weak) apology.

Good luck Tas. Surely, Spyderco will make good on any defect in manufacturing if you can't resolve the issue on your own.

~Jeeves.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have not heard about a problem like this. Can you describe what is going on? I will send you a PM.

This one was not tightened as it went to Texas.

6. keith6

keith6 Loaded Pockets

Mine works perfectly and I love it. get it fixed

7. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

This is my first Spyderco with this type of locking mechanism. When I first received it, it took me about 5 minutes to get it to disengage. It seemed like it was locked in the open position. It had nothing to do with the actual blade, it was the locking mechanism. After opening it and closing it for most of the day, it got much easier but still sticks on occasion. I cannot disengage the locking mechanism with one finger and I assume that is the way it is supposed to be. I have to use two fingers, one on each side.

Can I oil that little spring/ locking mechanism so it will not stick? My Kershaws that use a similar type of lock are effortless but they are worn in very well. The locking mechanism has never not engaged once the blade is opened.

8. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I have found that when the action gets a little sticky it is best to drop a little oil on the tang where the ball rolls, then to massage the action for a bit to get the ball lubricated. This pretty much smooths out the action. It is not really necessary to lube for it to work properly but the mechanism will be a lot smoother and stick less.

9. mwalle6

mwalle6 Loaded Pockets

If it's such a *** just send it my way!

10. mrpink

mrpink Banned

you will need two hands. people say you can do it one handed, but it is very hard and not worth it. you can tell spyderco designed it, along with the bolt lock, to be a two handed closer.

11. CubistHamster

CubistHamster Loaded Pockets

I have 14 Manix 2s (every variant + duplicates of a couple) and a Sage 3; they ALL close easily one-handed.

If yours doesn't it means either that the pivot is really tight, that your technique sucks, or that there's something wrong with your knife.

12. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

I can close it with one hand but it requires two fingers on the mechanism, one finger on each side. I cannot disengage it with one finger. If this is not normal, please let me know considering you have owned 14.

13. Tasmaniac

Tasmaniac Loaded Pockets

You, sir, are a good man.

14. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I haven't had many problems closing mine one handed. It does require a finger on each side, but if you hold it in your palm right, it's not much of a problem.

15. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Pretty much the same here. I don't have large hands, so my only issue is getting a good enough grip on the knife but I can get it closed one-handed fairly easily. It also seems that the spring has broken in a little bit in the week that I've been playing with the Manix 2.

16. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I have pretty small girly hands, so it took a few tries to find the best way to do it, but I figured it out eventually. The spring broke in a lot over the last week or two with me just fondling it a bit.

17. mrpink

mrpink Banned

shhhhh.....
    this is more specifically what i meant. and yes, they were designed to have a finger on each side to close. obvi

18. Tasmaniac

Tasmaniac Loaded Pockets

19. Tasmaniac

Tasmaniac Loaded Pockets

I've been able to close the blade with two fingers. I suppose this is the way it was designed to close and operator error was really the problem here.

Sorry for any annoyance that I have caused.

20. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

Does Spyderco have Moonglows in their factory ? I thought Jon has them all. He is the one sending them out, not Spyderco. If someone sends a Moonglow back to Spyderco, what are they going to replace it with ?.....a non-Moonglow regular Manix 2 without EDCF logo ? I'd be ticked if they did, so would others. Replacements should be handled by Jon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.