1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mandatory Carry aka Forced EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by kd7dvd, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

In another thread the idea surfaced that EDC is what you want to carry, not what you have to carry, the theory being if you are required to carry something, there's no choice, no chance for improvement, no need for the advice of our fellow Members.

Well, maybe.

In this thread, please share (with photos, of course!) those things which you carry that you have NO CHOICE about. This could be work-related, or medical, or (watching Charlie Sheen in a car commercial here) required by court order.

2. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I have to carry a keyfob and a specific key for my theatre job. Without it I wouldn't be able to get into the building. :)
    [​IMG]

gstojinovic and kd7dvd like this.
  3. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Mandatory Work Carry
    Left to Right...
    • A handy selection of forms (Security Incident Report, Service and Facilities Report, Incident Report [for things not security-related], Work Order form, Coach Inspection Form [so I can avoid getting in trouble for someone else's mistake]...
    • The purple envelope is the Accident Kit. It is used to make on-the-scene notes of the particulars of a traffic accident. It includes a checklist (to reduce the chance my agency gets sued), some witness comment cards, some insurance cards (in case I can't find the other driver) and some golf pencils (for the witness cards)
    • In the center are a couple of lost-and-found tags and a book of Overpayment Coupons which, in 10 years, I have never used (although I did supply another driver with one when he was caught short).
    • On the Right is the heavy stuff. The green book lists all routings (directions and maps for each route) and other things needed while on the road. The red book lists corporate policy. These two books together weigh a kilogram.
    • On top of that is a Stop Announcement reference card so we can keep our passengers oriented, and a trip schedule listing my time and waypoints.
    Also, I wear a uniform. I am required to carry a drivers license, county ID/card key, a health certificate, and a suitable time piece.
    There is an implicit requirement that I have something to write with, and something to carry all this junk around. I'm not expected to have anything beyond this, and certain factions of the bureaucracy would prefer I didn't carry anything else.
    A more complete list of what I actually DO carry is at KD7DVD's Infamous Bag #2 (and #1 and #3) and other EDC Topics

Last edited by kd7dvd, Sep 30, 2012
    gstojinovic likes this.
  4. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I knew someone would beat me to it! :frantic:

5. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

“Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand instead of a million count half a dozen." - Henry David Thoreau

P1080095.JPG

gstojinovic, aphid and kd7dvd like this.
  6. NCMedic

NCMedic Loaded Pockets

If we are talking work related....
    I have to carry my PPE bag with turn out gear, hazmat gear, respirator, traffic safety vest, portable radio, alphanumeric pager, tone / voice pager, ID, required to have a watch, besides having to take all the patient care stuff to the patient(about 75lbs of stuff).....

Sent from this... Using that...

kd7dvd likes this.
  7. Tinker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tinker Loaded Pockets

Medical for sure.
    [​IMG]
    Busted right leg 9 years ago. 15 surgeries to save it. Ain't walking yet.

Sent from my Casio Commando

SAKplumber and gstojinovic like this.
  8. aphid

aphid Loaded Pockets

I[​IMG]I consider this to be the irreducible minimum that I could get away with carrying everyday and still get through the day using my grey matter to survive.Keys allow entry,watch for timing constraints(yes the phone has a clock but it also has a battery that runs out) wallet for admission into the plutocracy and,a phone for communication and directional wayfinding.​
    "By a seeming fate, commonly called necessity, they are employed, laying up treasures which moth and rust will corrupt and thieves break through and steal"​
    Henry David Thoreau (Walden)​

gstojinovic, nuphoria and xbanker like this.
  9. RottingxZombie

RottingxZombie Loaded Pockets

Being a student, I would be pretty lost without my Zebra F-701. Nothing else "required" though unless driver's license and car keys count. I have a student ID too but we don't really need it for anything in particular

10. tomsk
    • In Omnia Paratus

tomsk Loaded Pockets

heres my work edc minus my tool box tobacco zippo and sog mt. i have to carry this bulky radio around the whole time im clocked it so people can reach me if theres a break down or an incident requiring my attendance

[​IMG]

gstojinovic likes this.
  11. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

My wedding ring.

12. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

my cell phone. Family requires that I carry it for safety/emergency use. Otherwise I wouldn't-- I enjoy the old fact of not being able to be contacted if I leave my house.

hunter s gatherer likes this.
  13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Where did you get the caribiner with the multiple holes in it? That's cool!​
    G.​

14. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

Pants.

Just kidding, don't wear pants. Har har... sorry it's late.

Only thing I forced was carrying a folder a few months ago. It weened me off of my fixed blade only obsession. Also need a pass card for work when I'm on night shift.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Keys. I hate keys. I can't wait for my smartphone to start my car and open the door to my house. I'd also like it to be wallet, but the wallet is way easier to carry than keys.

Idaho Gunslinger and kd7dvd like this.
  16. aphid

aphid Loaded Pockets

It is a cheepo one from Home Depot or another large chain hardware store that they position by the cashier for the weak willed to impulse buy.It has taken more abuse than any other item in my EDC for well over a year and only now is starting to show signs of fatigue.

17. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

For work I need to wear something with a collar, may it a shirt or a polo, doesn't matter. And if I'm not at my workplace I have to carry my mobile phone to be contacted in emergencies.

18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

One of my two phones is required by work, a simple dumb phone for calls only, no text or fancy stuff. Issued since I'm on call 24x7x52 and not always in the office even during work hours. Also an access card or a key, I carry both but only really need one to get into work. Oh, the company van also has a key and remote fob, everything else I might need is in the van or at work. If I'm going to see a customer face to face, I have uniform shirts and dress code to abide.

Everything else, wallet, additional keys, other phone, and on and on, is personal choice. I'm told that state law requires one to have ones driver license on them whenever behind the wheel. Some states don't require that but it's in my wallet which would be odd for me to go anywhere without.

So I guess that boils down to four items. Phone, van key, access card, driver license. The last two are in my wallet.

19. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I feel left out when I read a lot of threads here but perhaps this one most of all. I own no cellphone. I don't wear a watch except when travelling. I only carry a wallet when driving or spending money. I do carry a house key and of course a car key when appropriate but not otherwise. I think I mentioned a pocket handkerchief. Other than clothes, it's surprising how little you can get buy with day to day. But I cheat.

One reason I don't carry much stuff around is because I don't need to. The only time I might is when I do a long walking trip (upwards of, say, two miles in the woods). The rest of the time I seem to be surrounded by everything I might want. Anything useful for the car is in the car. I don't carry a notebook. I don't carry a beer can opener. I don't carry a prybar. I don't carry a rabbit's foot. I don't carry screwdrivers because I realized nothing I ever carry around with me has screws but I do have a small pair of slip-joint pliers that I have for the times I carry something that requires the use of one. Oh, I know a multi-tool usually has one but these work better and don't weigh as much. In any event, I gotten away from using the one thing that required the use of pliers, which have since become unaccounted for.

None of this is to suggest that I don't carry around a lot of unnecessary stuff.

20. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

Just a work cellphone and access fob like in the first post. I carry a lot more though.