1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Managing vehicle EDC in a shared vehicle

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by thegrouch314, Jan 22, 2020.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My mum is without a car right now. Since I'm living at home over the summer, I agreed that she could use my car when I don't need it.

Like most of us, I have my gear set up the way I like it. I have my IFAK on the back of the passenger headrest, my fire extinguisher mounted it the door pocket. Rather than a GHB, I have a 'my :censored:ing piece of :censored: broke down now I have to walk home' bag.

My mum has a habit of moving things without thinking. I get in my car and all of my stuff is not where I'm expecting it. It's rarely a big deal but it's the annoyance of reaching for something while I'm driving and it's not there. She doesn't understand why I care about EDC

Has anyone else had problems with sharing a vehicle with someone who doesn't care about EDC? How did you handle it?

And before you say 'just tell her to knock it off', she's my mum. I might be an adult, but she can still tell me off. I don't want to cause a rift over her moving my things.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yours is not an EDC issue, it’s a relationship scenario and it is far more important than the objects on which you place a high importance.

Cherish your time with her and find another way to organise and access your EDC items during what appears to be a brief period of temporary inconvenience.

kukla likes this.
  3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I don’t have a solution for you, but I love the last part. I think many of us feel that way at times. We wouldn’t have an issue telling anyone else to stop, but not Mom.

I will say if it is going to be the shared situation for a while then you are better to mention it and try resolving early before it gradually builds.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I never hesitated to tell my mother. Just like I don't hesitate to tell my wife.

And just like neither of them hesitated/hesitate to tell me.

If you can't communicate frankly what is the point?

Moshe

5. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I had to do this when my parents got side swiped by a semi-truck and were without a vehicle until insurance settled up.

I put ALL my personal EDC (not first aid, jumper cables etc) stuff in an old duffle and kept it by the front door. When I needed my truck I just grabbed that bag and threw it in the cab and off I went. I still had all my stuff with me and while it wasn't as organized as I liked I at least had a reasonable expectation that it was where I left it. Maybe that could work for you.

6. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

This is not an EDC issue: it's an issue of respect. Your mother, bless her, is not respecting your property and your sovereignty over it. The car is yours: as a guest only borrowing it she should only change what must be changed for her to drive safely (seat position, mirrors, radio volume, etc) and leave the rest alone.

I'm not sure what exactly to tell you here because my parents are quite respectful of my vehicle, and I of theirs. The only things that get changed are what is necessary for safe driving. I was raised with the rather strict instruction and practice of putting things back where you found them or otherwise leaving them alone, so it's never really been an issue.

Just saying it since no one else has: you shouldn't be reaching for something while driving. If you need something, get off the road before you start looking for it. I dont mean to preach at you but there are enough problems with distracted driving as-is with texting and eating and screaming at the misbehaving children in the back: please don't add to the chaos.

To the issue at hand though, I think you might try explaining EDC to your mother again. Explain why you have the items where they are, and the potential problems that might arise if you need to get to them quickly but she's moved them somewhere else without your knowledge. I've often found that people simply dont care about things they dont understand: if she can be made to understand why you have things where you have them she might be more accommodating. Otherwise, I'd advise you to just bear it and make a habit of checking things over before you leave. Pilots have their pre-flight walk around where they personally check everything on the plane to make sure it's good to go. You could do the same to make sure things are where they're supposed to be.

But making an issue of of it to your mother is not going do any good if she's not willing to listen and respect your stuff. You dont want something as minor as this to be a point of contention between you.

Moshe ben David likes this.