1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Man with assault rifle attends Obama protest

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Templarx88, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Templarx88

Templarx88 Empty Pockets

What do you all think of this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32457652/ns/politics-white_house/

I posted it to my facebook and got a mini-rant from an individual saying something along the lines of "ZOMG! Guns near the President! Someone might try to shoot him and these people are going to make it hard to figure out which person's going for a shot!"

Really?

2. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

There is a video from MSNBC news where they CROPPED this mans face out to hide the fact that he's black, then turned it into a racial issue, talking about white people showing up with guns strapped to their waists, a comment about "anger about a black president", and about hate groups.

Pretty blatant distortion of the facts.

here is a clip made by someone that illustrates what's going on.

3. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Nervous Nelly types afraid the "Prezidents gonna take away our Guns!" :green:

If they had any heart, they'd be in Iraq or Afghanistan.

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

He and the fellow in Hew Hampshire last week are exercising their legal right to open carry in states that allow it.

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

this is no different than a group of people with signs supporting an anti-life/anti-choice agenda

the guns are like signs- they grab your attention

6. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

This is off-base and irrelevant.
    Who's to say the people at these meetings haven't served?
    Who's to say there aren't people 'with heart' who are unable to serve?

This is simply an execution of the 2nd amendment right. Any one caught off guard or made nervous by this is why we lose constitutional rights. See Patriot act.
    People who follow your line of thinking are the reason the government can and does take advantage of 'the people.'

I think.

7. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Land of the free last time I heard. This illustrates that people don't have to fear gun owners cause they follow the laws. I was blown away on the whole race issue though. If you want to make anything evil, just hint at racism. Tie guns and racism together, then you got a juicy news story.

8. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

There were two people. One who was shouting at Obama was white, then there was the black guy they saw later.

Fwiw this is one of the best ways to help push forward another ban. Not to say i support that notion, but a couple guys turning up with assault rifles at a rally of the president doesnt play well in a certain crowd. I mean the Daily Show (which is awesome) got a laugh out of a statement the handgun dude said the other day it would be dumb to have a gun and not have it loaded.

Sometimes its best to let the sleeping dog lie in my opinion.

9. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I spent 26 years in the military - and most of that not as a physician (combat and transport pilot). I've served in Iraq twice, and Afghanistan twice.

Want to question my 'heart', pilgrim?

10. jehan60188

omg, you aren't there right now!
    if u want 2 play wit gunz, u need to join teh nashunal garrd!

11. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I watched a news clip with one of the protesters who was carrying a holstered handgun; I was thinking that even though he's carrying perfectly legally, with both his hands on the sign and in close proximity to others, that he didn't really have control of his firearm.

And no, guns aren't the same as signs.

12. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I agree. I think people need to exercise common sense here and put things in perspective. If I were at the rally and saw a guy with a gun of any type, the first thing that pops into my mind is assassination. Why else would he be at a rally for the POTUS with a gun?

Now that we know some protesters will "exercise their rights" at some future rally means that a guy with the real intent on harming the President may possibly get closer to him because people think it's just another protester and not be a real threat.

Just because it is your right doesn't mean it's the smartest thing to do.

13. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I don't understand this. Mostly because it's gibberish.
    Secondly, because you seem fairly disrespectful for no apparent reason.

If you hate the government and military and all they stand for, that's fine. Just keep it to yourself.
    There's no need to disrespect someone because they joined the cause that defends your right to say and do all the dumb things you want, when you want to do them.

On topic. I'm on the side of phill with this one.

Bringing an assault rifle to a town hall meeting is a bit much. Are there roving packs of dogs through-out these towns? I somehow doubt it, a pistol should do just fine for keeping safe.
    I can see (vaguely) the relevance of open carry at such a meeting. However, doing so only to make a point is going to send mixed messages to people who already don't fully understand weapons and constitutional rights.
    And it's not as if these people are going to go home and try to inform themselves on these issues further.

Well said TECENG.

14. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

good point, but unless the sign for a pro-life/pro-choice or anti-life/anti-choice rally is used to impale people with, a gun is a bit over-the-top :laugh:. maybe holster a pistol, but carrying an AR-15 on your shoulder is a little much. :armor: = :stretcher:

15. jehan60188

good point, we should totally impose martial law, otherwise someone that dislikes obama might get close enough to him to voice his/her opinion, and influence policy!

16. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Wow, are you a troll?
    That statement totally misrepresented what I was saying. Maybe you should read it again 5-10 times so you can get my point. Then perhaps we can have a friendly discussion that is on topic.

I have no idea what your agenda is here but I think this thread will get closed if you persist. Let's try to be civil, I am curious what others think of the topic.

17. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

For a non-american, this thread is almost hilarious :D

18. jehan60188

it was a joke/sarcasm. i was impersonating people who insist that the second amendment is a "collective right" that belongs only to members of the national guard/army/military (you know, in the same way that freedom of speech belongs only to members of congress)

sounds like you're concerned with people that want to kill the president. you think that it will be easier to get a loaded firearm near the president now that people brought guns near him as they exercised their rights.
    i say that you're totally right, and we should revoke more rights from the general population, so that the small minority of the population that may want to do bad things is unable to do so.
    though, i could be wrong. reading comprehension was never a strong suit of mine (only got a 30 on the ACTs)

19. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

That is exactly what I was thinking

Hmmm, is this sarcasm?
    I don't mean to infer that people should be refrained from having guns at the rally. It is their right and I have no problem with that. My point is that considering the outcome, is it really necessary? Hey, I have strong feelings about certain issues as well, but I try to exercise good judgement and common sense. I don't think the gun-toting people at this rally gained any ground. On their side of the issue they made a point, and on the other side of the issue they also made one.

Sometimes you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

20. jehan60188

i agree with you there. mostly because they don't have any point to make. it's like those "tea parties" from a few months back- just a bunch of angry people, trying to figure out what they're angry about.

that being said, tact is not a requisite for the exercising of rights