1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Man Carries an AR into a JC Penny (and doesn't shoot anyone)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by TARFU, Jan 20, 2013.

1. HybridMomentsPass

while legal, I think it comes down to social norms
    its legal to grab your wifes butt the entire time youre in public. Go ahead, try it. But is it frowned upon by society cause it makes you look trashy? Yep.
    Its legal to pick your nose at the mall, but its still a problem to many/most cause its gross
    There are many things that are legal, but that doesn't mean you need to do them at the mall

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can you really not see that it hurt the fight against gun control? If his goal was to help keep unnecessary legislation from being passed then he is a moron. If he really was just trying to protect himself then great, more power to him. But I put it at 50/50 as to if he is really a moron or really anti gun

kikaida likes this.
  3. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Wow is all I have to say. So if I don't like seeing guys in tight jeans with v neck shirts does that mean we can ban those? We live in a free country, so what next after this are they going g to choose what pistol we are allowed to carry so it doesn't offend people or make them awkward? How about knifes do we want to start limiting knifes that look tacticool? It isn't about what people like to see I don't like seeing young girls barely 12 dressing as if they were 21 but you don't see me trying to push a ban on particularly clothing

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

4. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

Well all I can say to someone comparing guns to clothes is "wow" as well.

e2dwml and kikaida like this.
  5. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

It seems that for the most part the article isn't trying to paint the guy as a madman, but there is one thing about it that bothers me:
    What kind of handgun was he carrying that needed a clip?

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The point you made was about what weapons are open carried so the comparison is actually apt. It's all about looks

7. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

I compared the guns to cloths based on you talking about people not liking the "Looks" of a weapon (i will not call it assault weapon). Looks of a gun causing fear is about a stupid as my quote it was done like that to show the stupidity of it.

8. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

This isn't about making people feel uncomfortable at the sight of an assault rifle. It's about being offended by it, as I would be when some joker thinks it's fine to walk around the mall with one. We don't live in a country where that kind of protection is necessary in a mall (or in most places for that matter). We work hard to preserve a level of peace in this country where there isn't a need to carry an assault rifle around, and the sight of someone doing that is offensive to me and many people because it spits on that very peace we seek to preserve.

In some countries it's normal (and necessary) to have citizens walking around with rifles on their backs. Thankfully the US isn't one of those countries. I say shame on anyone who would suggest that our country is in such bad shape that anyone needs to do this kind of thing to feel safe in their day-to-day life.

Macgirl, schlieb and e2dwml like this.
  9. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Let me ask you then please sir what would you do to help the cause?? Hide yourself and guns under a rock and contribute nothing and wait for this to blow over? Let me ask what have you done to help and show people what rights we have as american's that certain states have forgot about. In a famous quote "A right not exercised ,is a right lost"
    This has not been the first time people have done this since the recent issues, i think many are doing it show people that guns do not kill or hurt people and show people they are not the issue the issue we have is the people behind these guns.

10. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Yet again I am sorry it offends you, but it is a right and legal. Same as people have to dress the way they do. It does truly offend me to see people young males walking around with there pants sagging to there knees and young girls with half there body exposed. That truly offends and is an issue that people think our youth of America can display themselves like that but as I said before I don't see us anytime soon making that illegal. I am sorry that it offends you but walking around with my son and him having to see other people dressing like they do which I am sure if you think about it happens 100x times more then this would ever happen def is an issue also or hearing youth of America screaming and yelling cussing in public that offends me also but i don't see it changing. Look I am going to leave it at this, I am sorry you can not see the same point I am trying to show. Looks of something should not cause fear with intelligent people who understand and comprehend things, looks are nothing more then looks. I hope this comes out to be an BB gun that would be even more funny because the looks of a daisy bb gun scared people lol.

11. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've spent the last month out so since this all went front page again trying to educate the people in my life about what is really going on. most of my coworkers didn't know that what the government and media are calling assault weapons aren't fully automatic. That the proposed ban is mostly about what a weapon looks like. That many of the crimes the media changes on assault weapons were in fact committed with completely different guns. Almost everyone I talked with, dozens of coworkers, completely reversed themselves on the issue of the assault weapon ban. Many of them would still be considered anti gun by most. But most people, unless they really want every gun banned, can see that banking assault weapons is pointless and worse then useless in keeping us safe.

Have you ever heard the term "preaching to the choir" ? At best that is what this guy was doing. At worst he was helping to close the minds of people who might have been open to the truth.

powerring likes this.
  12. HybridMomentsPass

ugh, give it a rest already

13. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

I want to apologize to you then my friend!!! I appreciate everything you have done and I am sure still will do. I will completely admit this WAS NOT the best thing that could have been done. At this time we need to make sure we as a gun community try and educate people about them and what they call "assault weapons". Your last few sentences said it the BEST!!!!!! I believe like you said so many just hear what is on the news and know nothing so many have never even shot a firearm and then base a judgment without knowing all the facts and info. I just ask myself if first this then what next ya know? lol sorry again for the HUGE rants in this thread

14. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry you're missing my point as well. Fear isn't the issue. Like I said, it's offensive, not fear-inducing. Well for me anyway. I'm sure some people at that mall were afraid. Some of the gun, some of the unfortunate t-shirt the guy was wearing. ;)

I wouldn't be afraid to see this guy in-person. I'd be annoyed and offended that he feels the need to walk around my local mall, in a pretty safe and peaceful area, with an assault rifle. I'd probably be a little confused as well, that this guy thinks we live in a country that requires this level of personal security to go to JC Penny. I'm not sure what country he thinks he lives in, but it's surely not the country most of us know.

The guy in the article thinks he was making a statement against gun control. To me, his statement is more about the notion that he thinks we live in a country that needs this level of personal protection, even at the mall, and that is what I find difficult to accept. Like most of the people who were offended by the sight of this guy, I'm not willing to accept that this kind of display of anyone's rights is something that we should find unremarkable. It would be a sad day for this country if we ever get to the point where assault rifles at the mall don't make anyone do a double-take.

Macgirl and Mumbojumboo like this.
  15. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

The man made a bad choice. While he may be within his right to open carry, it's hard to determine the mans intentions. This is an unusual situation because this is far more firepower than one would need in self defense.

HybridMomentsPass and kikaida like this.
  16. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Offended?

Scared?

As a Canadian who can't even take an AR15 out of my house without an Authorization to transport, and can only shoot it at a range, you Americans need to start doing exactly what this guy is doing! The media, and public instantly associate AR15 with MURDER! The only way to change this is to show that an AR15 is just ike any other gun, and that not everyone who owns one is a murderer. 50 years ago nobody batted an eye when my grandfather would take his .410, or .22 on the bus/trolly, and go to the edge of town to shoot rabbits, but now this type of action would be met with a full out swat response. All because gun owners hide, and don't want to alarm people, and so the public never sees guns in the hands of harmless law abiding citizens. They only see guns in the news, next to headlines of mass murder, and crime. This is what has got us where we are today!

As for the guy that said they were offended, well sorry but nobody gives a rats a** if you were offended! Mind your business, and move on. I am offended at your suggestion that nobody needs such a gun. Who are you to tell me that? You have no right to dictate another persons actions, especially when what he is doing is within his right, and the law! It's people like you that have turned North America into such a politically correct, nanny state, and for that I am severely offended!

You are offended when someone does something perfectly legal, because you don't agree with it? I thought America was a free country? Not after people like you get through with it I guess..........

Absolutely disgusting!

17. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

This mans point has nothing to do with protection or self defense!

It is about his rights, and the need to practice them, otherwise they will be lost!

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficient... The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
    Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

Fate0n3 likes this.
  18. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Did it cause alarm and panic?

Last edited by kikaida, Jan 22, 2013
  19. wyesguy

wyesguy Loaded Pockets

My perpesctive is such.. He thought to make a statement "Man walks into a mall with an AR-15, shoots no one, 5.9 million people in the U.S. with AR's killed no one today". Good intent maybe, bad execution (pardon the pun).

20. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

Great point. When communities are scared, you don't run in and yell "BOO". I understand his point that no one was injured and that he was in control of his weapon and his situation, but others do not know this mans intentions. Even as a gun owner myself, If my family and I were there, I can assure you I would have concern. I don't wish to take away his rights and am fighting for him to keep them,but I would ask of him to also have concern for those who don't feel as he does.