1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Mall Ninjas"

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by netcat, Nov 1, 2013.

1. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Every now and then, members are sometimes called "Mall Ninjas".

While those people usually identify themselves by a sometimes shocking lack of knowledge and experience, I feel I have to strike a blow for them.

As we all feel the need to prepare ourselves for certain circumstances, we should be the first to accept that some people have the feeling that there are risks and situations to be reckoned with. Instead of making fun of those people, we should help them to find out which risks or situations they want to focus on and how to prepare for them through EDCing the required stuff.

Just my to cents on the "Mall Ninjas".

ect95, docer, ArnieJB and 5 others like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

That really sounds like the philosophy one would argue for any Member here. To each his own and everyone is different:)

ArnieJB, RoadWizard, netcat and 3 others like this.
  3. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Can I be a dock ninja? :D

4. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I was under the impression mall ninjas were the folks who go way over the top - ie full on swat gear to the mall, compounded with generally false stories about their imagined battle field prowess.

I don't think it's really the same thing as wearing a tac-pack or carrying a weapon.

5. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I think i need more in depth detail on what makes a person a ( mall ninja) if that terminology is to be used to label someone .:ninja:

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Thought you were a Mail ninja?:rolleyes:

EveryDayBeer likes this.
  7. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Google Gecko45 :censored: board won't let me post the link!!

8. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Why can't I be both? I unload mail from trucks onto the dock. Why, just this last week I had to produce a prybar and flashlight from thin air (read: Skinth) to get a ratchet strap unlocked! :p

keith1234 and vegassprky like this.
  9. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

This might ruffle a few feathers but to me nutnfancy is a mall ninja.
    Sure he serves, but as an airborne pump attendant, the way he goes on in his vids you'd think he was ex seal or something.

I have nothing but respect for those that chose to serve their country in any capacity but don't bang on like your special forces when your not.

Just my own opinion.

10. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Funny stuff there!! :rofl:

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I go to the mall I'm a Mall Ninja:ninja:At least I'm a ninja in a mall:p

12. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

I went to a mall once.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

13. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

While I don't want to reveal too much online, I work in a retail setting that sells a lot of knives, "tactical" gear, lighters etc. Don't confuse someone who wants to be prepared with a mall ninja. It's an attitude difference. I have customers who buy excessive stuff, but it is based on a deliberate and thoughtful analysis of their situation. Mall Ninjas buy things because they think they look tough. An example is Emerson knives, Regular Person: "This knife looks well built, has defensive features, a good reputation, and will fulfil a needed function in my gear" Mall Ninja: "Wow, look at that badazz black blade! I could stab so many people with that thing!" After working in this setting for a while, you can absolutely tell who is serious and who is buying things because it makes them feel cool. A synonym for mall ninja: Armchair Commandos. You know, the guys with the full armour, battle rifle, etc. but couldn't run a mile if they had to?

I agree, you should never discount someone's needs or perceived needs, but the difference between Mall Ninjas and serious people is in the attitude...even if both are looking at the exact same piece of equipment. Mall Ninjas don't need three quarters of the stuff they buy, and their priorities are wrong. They'll buy an over the top 12" combat knife (think Dark Ops Knives...) but they wont own a simple EDC folder or leatherman.

Anyway, I hope that little rant made some sense. Its a difference in attitude.

This. It's the over the top aspect.

14. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Jesus, I did not have a clue...

Fukurai likes this.
  15. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Someone finally said it!!

Belush2 and Sao like this.
  16. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

But still, even this poor lad deserves compassion. Without trying to do psychoanalysis, it seems quite obvious to me that he is compensating a severe trauma or more than one he experienced in a mall. Well, we as a community could focus on talking him down and direct him to a psychatrist. He needs more than tools to get along.

17. romadant

romadant Loaded Pockets

I'm a desk ninja.

Gecko45. Poor Gecko45.

SAKplumber, snowkiwi and vegassprky like this.
  18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

To me, the term Mall Ninja has several meanings.
    1. someone with 2+ batmans worth of self defense/combat/battlefield equipment on their person when 0.25 Batmans or less of gear would be more than enough for their situation. Batmans are a unit of measurement for measuring amounts of gear I concocted for a review I wrote of Dredd.
    2. a collector who prefers exotic gear they'll never have a use for, tacticool stylings, multi-pronged fantasy weapons, etc.

thekapow, groovster and snowkiwi like this.
  19. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

you're all mall ninja's. unless you have a parker jotter....then you're just cool as the other side of the pillow.

Fukurai, CitizenSnips, shmook and 5 others like this.
  20. grathlong

grathlong Loaded Pockets

Yeh, i feel you man. I hate malls. My old man tells me not to go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. If something breaks anyone of those things its a nogo. And a mall for me is a stupid place. I am derailing the thread though.
    On topic a mall ninja is a bit over excited tactical person who often lacks skill. Many think the equipment makes the man, but it is indeed knowledge that does that. Mall ninjas must be calmed down a bit and taught a few things in that field of mall ninjaing. :D ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk