1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Malkoff devices

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by etc, Apr 25, 2018.

1. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

I've used Malkoff devices since circa 2008, hard to believe it has been 10 years already.

Malkoff started by making LED drop-ins for incandescent Surefire lights like Surefire 6P and 9P and stuff. Remove the bezel, remove the stupid incan module that's dim, high energy consuming and not reliable and insert a M60 drop-in module. That was back in the day. Then he came up with M61 and others. They never burn out, have way lower consumption and better tint IMO. You can get cool, warm, neutral, etc. The pure white ones are the brightest, the 'warm' ones are the dimmest but have better color rendition.
    I like neutral ones.

Gotta realize Surefire was revolutionary back in the 1980's, where a tiny torch generated 60 lumens. That was 4 times brighter than a Maglite and you could actually EDC it anywhere. But they were a bit slow accepting the LED revolution, a bit behind the curve and Malkoff brilliantly stepped in.
    Surefire invented - well, technically they didn't, but they were instrumental in adoption of 123 cells.

Take your old 1990's Surefire 9P, insert a Malkoff - any Malkoff and you have a brand new light. That's basically as indestructible as it gets.

Have a bunch of Malkoffs, M61, M61L (Low), and Low-Low and most importantly, Malkoff expanded into flashlight making, his Hound Dog series is most impressive - I have 3 of them.
    The bigger ones take 4x123 primaries or 2x18650 Li-on and generate over 1000 lumens for 2 hours. That is brilliant. There is also that Wildcat model that's less throwy but more floody if you like that. It's truly a wall of light. Then Malkoff makes smaller Surefire 6P type lights, I don't have one but they are compact and have a lot of fans. I prefer to modify surefire lights with Malkoff modules. I also prefer to get aftermarket 6P bodies that are bored for 18mm. However when looking at huge throwers, Surefire doesn't really make an equivalent light that can be modified, so the Hound Dog makes a lot of sense.

Malkoff Devices does not build lights to the Surefire standard, IMO he exceeds it and certainly exceeds it in terms of value. If you want the best, it's all that.

My only non-Malkoff light is a Surefire G2x Pro - it's advantage is it's made of nitrolon and it's very light. I wish Surefire would expand heavily in that direction. It's feather-weight. My dream Surefire is a light based on G2x Pro but takes 3x123 versus 2x123. Even a 4x123 model would be really interesting. They are light and easy to grip, nitrolon just sticks to one's hand.

My only criticism of Malkoff is: He needs to make anti-roll heads - like Surefire and the lights could use some heavier knurling. He did come up with a tri-cap that kind of solves the roll problem.

But really, nothing is as reliable as the olde Surefire Z41 twisty tailcap!

Rob Babcock and Mumbojumboo like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I like Malkoff, as well. I think this started out as a Felix a long time ago, but now is a Leaf body with a Malkoff drop-in. Very nice light.

[​IMG]

3. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

Sweet. I didn't know such a thing existed. I've had a couple of C-C Leefs but I didn't realize he had expanded into Fenix.

They are old and collectible by now, getting I think $100 per body. I prefer FiveMega (Nite) bodies. They a bit cheaper, easier to find, replace the standard Surefire 6P bodies, are round, bored for 18mm and have better knurling than 6P.

You have a classic. Never sell that light.

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Malkoff was good enough to get back to me and tell me my old PD flashlight was too old to accept any of their upgrades.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  5. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I really like Malkoff products, they are simple and just work!

Rob Babcock and ZMZ67 like this.
  6. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

I like Malkoff too.....my only gripe is they need a little refinement. They are very front heavy and lack balance. Brass is used even on low drive modules that don't require much heat dissipation. If he made M61L's with aluminum instead of brass, I'd have a bunch of Malkoffs.

7. jbraman

jbraman Loaded Pockets

I love mine! The only Malkoff I have out of my 50+ lights is a hound dog single 18650. Frickin amazing i use several of his drop ins in other lights. A SF C2, G2 etc

8. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

Malkoff do manufacture anti-roll options now. A slip over ring and a tri tailcap. Have a look.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  9. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

The Tri tailcap is pure sexy! I probably have two dozen Malkoff products between drop ins and complete lights. Awesome stuff!

10. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I've been using Malkoff's for years, currently I have a hound dog and a cr123 model

11. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Malkoff Devices are great products.

Rob Babcock likes this.