1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Making use of hook and loop panels?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Knifestyle, Feb 7, 2015.

1. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Army navy store near me has strips of police jacket marker, bright yellow with metallic stripe. going to put that on Velcro to act as a safety marker.

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  2. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I typically add hook and loop to my bags - normally a 2" strip.

my old EDC crumpler bag had an Aussie flag and EDCF patch on it - plus a few 1" square GITD and reflective patches too.
    the GITD and Reflective found their way onto my Camelbak
    and i haven't added loop to my current EDC camera bag yet (maybe one day)

reflective strips are easy to make.
    buy some SOLAS reflective tape and some stick back velcro.
    stick the tape to the velcro.
    trim to size.
    attach to bag

3. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Not to get too far off subject, but FM must be a field manual, correct? I was Navy way back in the day, and for us, Fox-Mike was the radio.

Brtsmpsn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

You're correct, thanks for your service.

5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks, guys, for your service! As to the OP's question, here are a couple of types of patches I have used on different velcro gear (usually I only use one patch or perhaps two per item, but YMMV.)

1. Name tags: I'm no longer active military, but when camping with my grandsons' scout unit a lot of the packs look similar. Also, I have a briefcase that I sometimes put my name tag on; other times I have a spare name tag that I use that has someone else's name on it. I also have a patch with my Ham Radio call sign. I also have a couple of leather ones and nylon ones from my active law enforcement days with a badge design, my name, my rank, and the organization; these were worn on raid jackets or body armor.

2. Position or statement patches: these include some ultra-cool 2nd Amendment ones, DTOM, Guns and coffee ones, I support Single Moms, and so on. I even saw a teenaged girl wearing a "Grlz rule, boys drool" patch on her backpack recently. I think the various American flag patches (or your Country's, if you're not American) would fit here, too. I'm not sure if my "Disfunctional Vietnam Veteran" patch is a statement patch or a safety warning patch ... maybe both, I guess.

3. Military patches: I only wear the ones I earned or for units I served with. There was a fairly long discussion about this here:
    http://edcforums.com/threads/non-military-but-i-like-the-bags-and-patches-is-it-ok.118113/

4. Safety patches: various kinds of Scotchlite, Scotchbright, etc. (I even have a cool "Caution: Snipers" patch.). I guess blood type patches should be considered as safety info (although medical people never depend on these to make transfusion decisions.)

5. Fun ones: these can be sports teams, hobbies (I collect dust, but have seen patches for shooting, backpacking, spelunking, etc.), cool designs, etc.

6. Acronym ones: for some of these you've got to be an insider to know what the TLA is (these include :censored: NSA, KMA, BMIC, etc. We even have an acronym list on EDCF to help people 'translate' some of them).

7. Animal-related: These include graphics of different breeds of cats, dogs, goldfish, etc., as well as statements of affection: I love my anaconda, etc. I guess mythical animals such as unicorns and dragons are included here.

8. Reminder patches: First Aid, Remove before take-off, This Side Toward Enemy (on Claymore mine patch) etc.

9. And, other kinds (Sorry, guys, I've run out of time. I'm cooking the scrapple this morning.)

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Feb 15, 2015
    Brtsmpsn, JustinJ, thePlumbah and 2 others like this.
  6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

you forgot the interesting acronyms :)

7. Cobra 6 Actual

Hey, Echo, you should see the one that got censored!

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

So, you're a Nutnfancy fan I see.
    :rofl:
    He was speaking narrowly about TLAs, I'm sure Cobra knows all the good ones.

Probably invented a few, I bet.

And, guys, thanks to all of you for your sacrifices.

9. Cobra 6 Actual

And, thank you, Mr. Conester! Yeah, I am actually surprised that a couple of the (fairly mild) acronyms that Echo63 included in his posting made it through the EDCF filter gauntlet.

And, I didn't know that Nutnfancy was a proponent of those alternate name tags, T.H. That was a pretty common thing in my federal agent 'gray man' days. What goes around comes around ... I've even started to see skinny ties again (good thing I never threw those out, although I don't wear ties much anymore!).

Brtsmpsn, T.H.Cone and thePlumbah like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

[quote="Cobra 6 Actual, post: 2178265, member: 26615"Yeah, I am actually surprised that a couple of the (fairly mild) acronyms that Echo63 included in his posting made it through the EDCF filter gauntlet.
    [/quote]
    Actually, some of those just didn't make it past me;)

So, just as a reminder for anyone else who would post here.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

[​IMG]

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

11. T.H.Cone

[quote="Cobra 6 Actual, post: 2178265, member: 26615]And, I didn't know that Nutnfancy was a proponent of those alternate name tags, T.H. That was a pretty common thing in my federal agent 'gray man' days.[/quote]

I totally understand why you might want to use fictitious name on a nametape, but I was trying to imply that, as a Nutynfancy fanboy, you have one the name tapes he sells with "Nutnfancy" on it.

TNPers unite!

12. Cobra 6 Actual

Ah, I see now, T.H., although I don't actually have one of those patches. You know I just went back and read all 8 pages of that earlier thread (the one I posted the link of, above). Man, what an interesting discussion: lots of thought-provoking comments, including from the esteemed Mr. Cone!

Brtsmpsn and T.H.Cone like this.
  13. T.H.Cone

Well, what can I say, I can't be the house troll all the time.:)

14. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

Veering back into patch territory and away from jargon, I'm liking the reflective tape ideas. What about the organizers 5.11 and Maxpedition sells? Anyone have recommendations? I'm torn between the added bulk, and having to prioritize what goes where.

15. Cobra 6 Actual

Knifestyle, you're the OP, so if you want to 'hijack' your own thread instead of letting the Conester or I do it, that's OK with me. Seriously though, I like and use those small organizers. In particuler, I have one for all my various chargers and earphones. Before I put them all in the organizer they were just a hopeless snarl of wires.

Brtsmpsn, hal_chase and T.H.Cone like this.
  16. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Besides morale patches, which for me are mostly just velcro patches with cool images on them, I use my bag's velcro field for these glow in the dark/reflective dots which I bought off a guy on facebook

[​IMG]

odg, T.H.Cone, Cobra 6 Actual and 2 others like this.