1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Making use of hook and loop panels?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Knifestyle, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

Hook and loop panels designed for morale patches seem to be creeping across most hard-use bags and apparel nowadays. The MOLLE vest I wear for carbine courses has them but not being military I have no patches on it, my Countycomm bag has a strip of it, my gun range bag has one but thankfully has a cover which came attached, my nylon binder has a tall panel that would hold multiple patches...Even the tiny Maxpedition notebook holder I bought has velcro on the front barely two inches square!

As I currently own no patches of any kind, I'm wondering if I should suddenly start collecting them, or try to make use of these panels? I've heard of some concealing razors and small tools underneath patches, and I've seen small velcro-backed organizers for holding a few odds and ends on the outside of a bag. Are there any very tiny, flat items ideal for hiding under a patch? Any experience with stick-on organizers?

odg, Cobra 6 Actual and AK Adventurer like this.
  2. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

I would say buy some patches, I have a bunch and change them out on my range bag, my everyday bag is a fossil messenger bag and I am thinking about having a panel sewn on it.

As far as hiding items behind them on a bag, if you are in a situation where you need a hidden object like that there is a good chance you wont have the bag. If you had a patch hat it would be a great hiding spot.

3. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

My main hesitation is both how military specific most patches are, and how rare it is to find an office-friendly one if I have to use any of my gear in public. I'm looking to either find a way to utilize the velcro efficiently, or find a source of very neutral, subtle patches that don't cost collector price.

odg, Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I bought the EDCF patch at the forum store :) and thats about it. The morale patches are too much for me. Too showy. But the EDCF patch fits right in.

5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I guess a “I support single moms” patch would be non-military enough, but probably not office friendly. ;)
    But there are enough, for example clover, red cross, smiley, Joker (from Batman), Darth Vader, and a rubber duck as well. And probably a lot more I can’t remember.

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

There are 1000s of non military, funny, non offensive patches out there and you can have any words or phrases put on a nametape. Who in your office would get hysterical over your SG-1 patch?

As for putting stuff under them- retrieval magnets (they have a hole in the center for cordage), lock picks, a quarter for the shopping cart, a key, toothpicks... your need and imagination are the only limits.

7. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

You could always throw a flag patch on your panels.

8. Tom_J

Tom_J Loaded Pockets

If I do use a patch at all then it tends to be the black Union Jack one as per my profile picture. Seems to be fairly low key to avoid any attention from office colleagues! I'm not from a military background so don't own any military or morale patches. If I go to an airshow or something like that I may use an old RAF Red Arrows one to show my support.

9. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

If concealment is of interest to you check out Law Industries Custom Solutions...everything you have listed (and more) is available from them :)

T.H.Cone, Brtsmpsn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

There are quite a few morale patches that reference movies, TV shows, games, etc. Morale patches have been around a long time. Until velcro became popular you just had to sew them on, now they're a lot easier to change out. There's certainly no requirement that you be current or prior military to wear morale patches. Just don't wear specific unit patches and you should be good to go. Even as someone who is in the military there are a whole plethora of patches that will never find themselves attached to anything I own because I haven't earned them.

A bogota entry lock pick set fits very well under most morale patches ;)

11. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

you could get hook and loop inserts SOtech has a good one for their first aid kit, i have my ipod covered in hook side on the back so i can stick it to my backpack or anything with loops while i listen at my desk. i also put some hooks i got at the dollar store on my pens and pencils and some loop on my clip board when i study on my bed at home. this might work out for you.

Cobra 6 Actual, odg and Brtsmpsn like this.
  12. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

If you don't have any patches and are asking if you should start collecting so you can use the velcro, I say no. Just by being here and seeing everyone's bags and patches you probably would have already decided.

If you do I am sure there is something you are into (logo, tv, movie, sayings, etc.) that has an associated patch that is office friendly.

@T.H. Cone +1 for SG-1 :)

13. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

14. T.H.Cone

^ I didn't know Rattlesnake was part of my unit.

I must have missed you at the last meeting.

15. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

I didn't know of the SFOD unit yet alone who was in it! I should have joined years ago!

16. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

I was looking for a place that does custom patches, and found a site called OML Patches. Have not ordered, but looks interesting.

17. T.H.Cone

ODG, OML has a very bad rep. I'd do some research before dealing with them. In fact, they have an F from the BBB.

18. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

T.H.Cone has reverted to conversing in TLA this afternoon :p

19. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

ROFLMBO

20. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

Sometimes forum chatter is worse than reading a military FM, AR, DA-PAM, or TM.