1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Making a Paracord coated curly lanyard

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by echo63, Jul 20, 2010.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

This is a How-to to make one of these
    [​IMG]
    This is not a perfect how-to as i am using what i have around the house, rather than what i reccomend

to get started you need a bit of Paracord (mine isnt actually paracord, but it is Pink, which my wife likes)
    Nylon Trimmer line (this is actually a bit thin, and has a star shaped cross section, but i had it laying around)
    [​IMG]
    and some basic tools
    [​IMG]
    You can do it all with a sharp knife, chopping board and Stove, but the hemostats, pliers and blowtorch mean you can do it all at a table, rather than infront of the stove.
    you will also need some strong thread (i used dental floss) and a sewing needle or Electrical Crimp lugs and some heatshrink tube

first up, peel the outside off the core of the paracord for a inch or so
    [​IMG]

melt the ends of the trimmer line, and the core of the cord and smoosh them together (this is easier with the cheap paracord, and actually harder with the good stuff)
    [​IMG]

attach the hemostats to the other end of the line so you dont pull it through the sheath
    [​IMG]

gently pull on the free end's core, and pull the sheath over the trimmer line
    [​IMG]

cut the end flush, and melt it into a blob
    make sure the line and sheath are fused together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    smooth the sheath over the line, and do the same to the other end.
    tape/cable tie/tiewire/velcro wrap/ secure in some manner the wooden dowel (this one is steel, ignore that and use wood, it heats and cools quicker)
    [​IMG]
    start wrapping the rod, and secure the other end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    get a pot of water big enough to fit the wrapped rod in an bring it to the boil, then put the rod in (you can do more than one at a time if you wish)
    [​IMG]
    as you can see, the tape is coming undone, i actually had to pull this one out, and retape the ends.
    boil the rod for around 10 minutes, then pull it out, and plunge it into another pot of cold water (icy cold if possible)
    I have just run mine under the tap for 5 seconds, and then started to unwrap it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the coil should now be done
    [​IMG]

you can put the ends on however you like, some may prefer to use electrical crimp lugs, where i prefer to sew mine in (because i have a needle and thread, and dont have any crimp lugs left)

choose what you want to use for the ends
    [​IMG]
    im using the two top swivel/clip bits
    fit it to the end of the line and start sewing the sheath down, you wont get a needle through the line
    [​IMG]
    keep sewing, then tie it off and do the other end
    [​IMG]

Cover the ugly bits with heatshrink (stops them getting snagged too)
    [​IMG]

Attach it to your gear and your done !

gmgalmeida and chico13 like this.
  2. tappan

tappan Loaded Pockets

Very nice! Thanks for the how-to post... I'm going to have to try this soon.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Good job! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try that sometime.

4. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

Not a bad idea! I've always used those curly rubber wrist key bracelets. I shall try this out to see how it works!

5. leeenricoso

leeenricoso Loaded Pockets

Cool tutorial! Been in this path before. When my main source for getting coiled 550 paracord stopped making them since it was a pain for him to source out coiled cords . I found a similar thing that you demo'ed but this time he used monofilament fishing line. The guy also submerge the coiled cords in hot water. Anyways, here's the link --

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f26/fishing-tip-717-coiled-safety-lanyard-18426/

6. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

Very cool. This would be most useful for fishing tool retainers.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if you use real paracord the weave is small enough you could just push the trimmer line into it after gutting it. I bet I could do it as fast as it takes to glue the inside strands to the line. But the weave you're using would hang pretty bad so I see why you did it.

7. BlessedWrath

BlessedWrath Loaded Pockets

You can also use very thin thread and a doll needle to great effect. Secure the thread around the trimmer line with a single hitch (or whichever you prefer), and attach the other end to the needle. Slide the needle into the sheathing and use your fingers to squish the sheath together, which should force it to expand. With this motion, you can inch the needle forward, carrying the trimmer line through the sheathing.

You may also be able to do this with a wire coathanger with a very small eyelet bent into the end of it.

8. Mike Grandin

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

Well Done! I'm definitely going to try this!! Thanks for Posting!!

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I think you guys are overthinking this, you are gutting the cord anyway (replacing the inner cords with the nylon line) so you just melt the cord to the line, and pull it through. it honestly takes 10 seconds, and is easier than trying to push the cord through.
    Blessedwrath - the trimmer line is hard enough you could do that without the needle, and i have done it when i pulled the line through too far before.

Hey thanks for that link, i knew i had seen something similar before, and the way of forming the curly bit is the same.

one of those things that lodged in my memory, and i then couldnt find again.
    those guys deserve the credit for the method, i just use slightly different materials

10. Eagle Scout
    • The Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Very cool. Excellent photos and directions. Gotta go, there's a spool of trimmer line in the garage calling my name...

11. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Stop at a hobby shop and pick up some cord crimp ends, couple bucks for a pack.

Great idea, I have to stop at my local hobby lobby today so I will stock up, going to see if they have any plastic line to fill the paracord I have.

Thanks

12. 777

777 Empty Pockets

awesome tutorial!

13. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Loaded Pockets

I know this is an old thread but can anyone post up their results?

How springy are these?

Any details on them in use would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

14. leeenricoso

I've been playing around and making these for the passed week. Below is my 5th and 6th that I made so far.

[​IMG]

With regards to the details how they are made -- used 5 feet of gutted paracord + mono fishing line spec'd at 200 lb and around 1.40mm in diameter. I used 2 mono fishing line instead of a single line. One good tip that I found while making these is, instead of taping them to the towel, use small zip ties instead. Just cut the excess part of the zip ties once paracord is wrap around a dowel. Once the paracord is wrapped into the dowel, I dunk it to a boiling water for exactly 10minutes.

With regards to performance, I've tested one or two of my initial prototype. By extending and over extending the coils. So far they return back to the initial coiled state. I've replace my previously bought coiled paracord lanyard with the one that I made. Been EDC'ing it for a good two weeks now. It still holding good. The coiled part is still retain well.

With regards to the one I made above, the international orange version, I don't have access to a colored heat shrink so I only used black ones. But I'm pretty sure they are more even beautiful when the heat shrink is either red or orange.

gmgalmeida likes this.
  15. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Thanks to Lee, i've got one coiled lanyard he made. Met him here in Manila. Thanks again man!

16. amacman
    • The Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

If you're using a wooden dowel, you can just drill a hole thru each end of the dowel and thread the cord thru it to hold it in place while boiling. No need to mess with tape, zip ties...etc

17. juanc723

juanc723 Empty Pockets

neat.. i gotta try this.

18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

yeah! that is so cool.

19. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

20. leeenricoso

That definitely can work. But unfortunately, the dowel I am using is a bit small in diameter. Its actually a large wooden spoon that I "re-purposed" just for this project. So, I can't drill a hole on it. That's why I opted to just lashing the cords onto the dowel using zip ties.

tamaders likes this.