1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Making a pack easier to see

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by MTFire, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

Any good ideas on making a pack easier to see? Reflective tape.......best way to apply?

On another note, how to make a pack easier to access at night? I have many little pen lights attached to the key holders in many pouches. I use my edc many times at night, firefighter, and if I have my helmet light with me usually no problems, but added light would help.

Any ideas or how do you guys make your pack easier and safer to use?

Thanks,

John

2. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Nite Ize makes these little light up led zipper pulls, here.
    Can't speak for the battery life though

3. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

Thanks Doric,

That link has quite a few options.

4. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

I actually have the nite ize light up pull on my Camelbak Linchpin. It works very well and has a good glow. Don't know battery life, but it's not designed for long run time.

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I always sew reflective tape on my bags, and rain covers. You can buy it by the yard at most fabric stores, in a variety of colors and widths.

6. BASR

BASR Loaded Pockets

Do a paracord handle wrap with some reflective tracer paracord.

7. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

8. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

Lots of great ideas!!!

Do you think that the glow in the dark would help inside of the pack?

I looked at a inova 24/7 light. Would work but pricey for just one compartment. Also a nite lite(?) wand was nice but you have to undo it, unscrew and remove the top, to shut it off.

John

9. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

The 24/7 is a cool light, and makes an OK flashing light to hang off the back of your pack and be noticed. The issue I had with the 24/7 is that there is no way to keep the light from coming on while it not being used. Until I put rubber bands around it to keep it from turning on inside my pack/pocket/belt, I went through several batteries. Since then I have replaced that light and it is now stuck to the refrigerator as kitchen backup light.

10. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

So the 24/7 is definite no way......

Thanks for the tip

John

11. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

One thing I did that helped was to change the zipper pulls to yellow paracord and also kept the paracord intact, didn't remove the interior strands, so they stood up, didn't lay flat. Also used red cord on the first aid kit. I had no trouble finding zippers, by the way bag was black.

John

12. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Being that it's inside and not exposed to any light, my answer is no.

13. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

I believe hes is asking if that would help illuminate the inside of the pack, and I do believe it would.

14. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Not if it's sealed inside and w/o exposure to light.

15. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

I see your point that no light would get to the GITD until you opened it, then flashlight would get to it. But then you already are using a light so the glow wouldn't be much I guess "..............,

John

16. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

That's exactly my point.

17. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

On a fire scene I have a streamlight helmet mounted light, best light I have ever used, better than any light at fires even better than the truck mounted lights, a streamlight torx light on my bunker coat, and a Pelican light mounted on the sleeve of my coat. I also have easy access to a streamlight flood light with a shoulder strap. But when I am into the bag I use, the helmet and coat have been taken off and the flood light nowhere close. On my bag I have a Garrety light on the shoulder strap used to see where I am stepping, and key chain lights on all of the key holder straps inside of the bags and compartments that have them.

So maybe I should use a edc style light on a lanyard tied on the outside of my pack, probably would help.

By the way all of the lights I carry are hands free except for the streamlight floods which I don't use much anyway.

John

18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I keep a small light in an external pouch on my bag... super easy to find. I also have a small back up in the bag. Perhaps you can attach a flashlight holster to a shoulder strap.

19. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I use the firefly tritium markers for kit/zips I want to be able to find in the dark, they come in 3 sizes Super, Kit and Bivy and 8 colours if you want to distinguish between kit.

20. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

I have a small keychain glow thing attached and inside I have a fluro band with Velcro i can attach to my person or the bag.
    I also have a small keychain light hanging in all my bags for night time rummaging.

I can go stealth if needed (not spec ops,just dont want to look like a xmas tree in the mall) or can be hivis if needed when im coming home in the dark.