1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Make me custom knife scales!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by LausDeo, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Please? :D

I have a Boker Beacon and while it's no Spyderco (that's in the mail to my house) I have grown rather fond of it and I wasn't sure if there are any crafty people capable of constructing custom knife scales for it. I am just curious if anyone can and what options might be available to me and what their price would be. If you can't but know someone who could and can point me in the right direction I would appreciate that too.

Thanks EDCF!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from the Droid you weren't looking for.

2. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Well, you did just get that new Dremel. Buy some G10 slabs and go to town. ;)

LausDeo likes this.
  3. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

What do you want them made out of? The scales could easily cost more than the knife.

4. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I could attempt it, but would need the same knife to make sure everything fits. Let me look into material prices. G10, Micarta, or something else? I know the glow material is rather expensive. $25 for enough to make a set of scales. Not counting time and shipping.

I'll look into it when I get some pen orders finished. Some custom wood scales would make it very unique and as the wood got used and abused would add more character. Reminds me, I need to make a set of SAK scales for my Tinker.....

5. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Some sort of unique wood would be rather cool, I am not the greatest at wood working and I don't know if glow is right for this knife, I don't think it's sleek enough to pull off the look.

6. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I should try.

7. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

8. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

If you have even basic wood working skills, you can make scales from wood. Go to your local woodworking supply store and see what jumps out at you. Take the knife and hold it up against different woods. Black palm or zebrawood would look nice on a knife. Bamboo would too if you could find a slab wide enough and thick enough.

Take of the existing scales and trace them on the new wood and cut out. Scroll saw works great, but a coping saw will work, too. Coping saw will just take a while longer. Then drill the holes and countersink them. Then sand and finish the way you would like. Tung oil would be a good, durable finish for a knife handle. After it has dried put the scales back on and give it a quick rub down to shine the oil up.

9. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Here are some pics I did with my custom Spyderco Cat. Like revs said, wood is pretty easy to work with and form.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shown with my Persistence that I made scales for too.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic showing how much thicker I made the scale.
    [​IMG]

I used a Dremel and a drill.

Doraemon and Zorro like this.
  10. Zorro

Zorro Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Custom Scale Division
    May be they could have some good ideas.
    Enclosed a personnalization of a Böker Subcom Rescue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doraemon likes this.
  11. MWDP

MWDP Banned

It really depends on what you want and where you send it. I was lucky enough to have a Tenacious done by a friend of mine and since he's strange like that he didn't want to charge me anything.

With cheaper knives the scales often cost more than the knife itself, so keep that in mind. Once you add up 50$ (which is my rough estimate of the least amount of money you'd pay fo this), you can easily buy a higher-end knife with the stock material you wish :)

12. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I had a G10 scale made for my Boker Wharcom and it was $20 if I remember right. The little Boker wasn't much more. Knowing what I do now, I would buy the material and make my own. But, I have a few power tools to help. Scroll saw and 1" belt sander and my trusty dremel.

Beamed in from across the Galaxy via Tapatalk

13. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

It'll be way more satisfying if you make them yourself. "I did" is a fun answer to give when someone asks who made your stuff.

14. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

That's half the reason I make and mod knives.

catfishdan likes this.