1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MAGPUL 30 round P MAG

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rhysman1, May 20, 2009.

1. rhysman1

rhysman1 Empty Pockets

Hi guys,

I know this isnt strictly handgun stuff, but was wondering what your thoughts are on the MAGPUL P MAGs for AR-15/M4?

I work in Iraq and use the USGI 30 round standard issue government magazine, I only ever fill my mags with 28, to ease the springs and for easy locking onto my M4.

Lately I have had a few problems with a few of my magazine feed lips being damaged whilst carried on my bodyarmour rig, my magazines go in round facing downwards towards bottom of the pouch to stop dust and sand getting inand so that I can use my ranger magpuls for ease of use.

I would appreciate a few positives or negatives, or any other mags you reccommend, also where the best place to buy them from?

Cheers ;)

2. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

I have had nothing but positive experiences with pmags. They are durable, reliable, and very good quality. I didn't ever think I would use a plastic magazine for an AR, but after trying them and comparing them to standard USGI mags, I switched for good.

Look on youtube at some of the abuse tests people have done on them. Or buy a few and do your own testing. They are harder to find these days, but still not that expensive. I was at a gun show recently and there were quite a few for sale in the $15-$18 range.

3. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Magpul Pmags are the best option to keep feed lip creep from happening. You can also fully load P-mags to 30rds for long term storage because they have a cover that actually takes the tension of the feed lips. I keep USGI mags downloaded to 28 for two reasons, first is lip creep and the second is I often keep a mag in the well on a closed bolt with an empty chamber and GI mags don't work well for this fully loaded. Currently P-mags are out of my budget so I do not have one to test the fully loaded on a closed bolt issue. Eventually I plan on replacing all of my USGI C-products mags with P-mags.

4. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I've always heard USGI or magpul p's were the way to go for semiauto AR15s. I think I have 3 of each but still haven't taken them for a ride in my .223 here in the states.

5. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Empty Pockets

PMAGs kick butt. Period.

6. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

The magpuls are great....but, if you can find the steel british STANAG mags, they're the best.

7. rhysman1

rhysman1 Empty Pockets

Flight-ER-Doc, are these the magazines used with the SA80 A2 or the Demarco?

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

8. Flight-ER-Doc

SA-80, anyway

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Is the Stanag mag same as the Sterling mags from the late 80's ? great 40 rd steel M16 mag. wish I had more.

10. Flight-ER-Doc

The term STANAG usually applies to magazines that will work in M16/5.56 weapons. The term actually means STANDARDIZATION AGREEMENT, there are bunch of them, but the idea was that since all NATO nations were using 5.56 weapons (good or bad) they all should use magazines that were interchangeable so ammo supply from the local nation would work, no matter who was supplying it (military ammo sometimes is packed in loaded magazines, in addition to stripper clips and loose).

The problem with the 40 round mags is firing prone with them :)

I know people that would have to dig depressions for even the 30 round mags. But the Brit steel mags, if you can find them, are usually good. Heavy, but good, they are seriously dent resistant.

11. macman37

macman37 Empty Pockets

Having both, I vastly prefer PMags. ;)

BTW: RE: downloading to 28: I had to do that with my PMags too! I took a couple training classes last year and was going to do my push/pull on a fully loaded PMag... and guess what, more often than not it would come right back out.

Once I downloaded them by two they worked great though.

And OP: Thanks for your service. :roof:

12. dwnptrl_777

dwnptrl_777 Loaded Pockets

+1 for the PMAGs. Have some non-PMAGs for Zombie Backup Plan, but the PMAGs come with on range days.

13. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Got a couple Pmags. Never thought I could stand a polymer mag, but magpul proved me wrong. They've replaced my orlite mags as my 1st go to, & pushed the orlite into secondary.

14. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

The P-Mags are the best AR mag made right now, and far better than the GI mags.

I have extensively tested my P-Mags, they work. Other instructors (Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, John Farnam, Marshall Luton, to name a few that I have talked to) have put them through numerous high round count courses over the past few years and found them to be GTG.

The P-Mags are designed to be able to carry 30 rounds in the mag without issue, and I find this to be true.

VERY highly recommended.

You can read much more on the Lightfighter and M4 Forum sites.