1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maglite?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by RossHoss, Oct 20, 2014.

1. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

Are there any others who are fans of maglite, I personally have one with me most of the time.

Sorry about any spelling issues but I have small buttons and big thumbs

MTFatboy and david57strat like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

No.

Just kidding. We have several. Including vegassprky :)

Wishoot, vegassprky and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I've owned numerous Maglites, over the years. I have four or five left, most of which have had LED upgrades of one sort or another (TerraLux, Malkoff, etc.)

4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not a huge fan of their smaller twisties,

But I've had a large 3xD or 4xD by the bed for as long as I was an adult. Love the solid feel, reliability and ability to adjust the beam. A solid choice for walking the dog at night, too.

GRH and Wishoot like this.
  5. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I still have a few D-cell units around the house and vehicle, all upgraded with LEDs. The LED upgrades were pretty cheap, making an already-paid-for flashlight a rugged, modern light.

I haven't tried the newer XL series of lights, though.

sungame and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

I've had a couple of the smaller, incandescent ones roughly 8 years ago. They're nothin special, but I do have a 6D maglite with a terralux led upgrade which has a claimed 1000 lumen output. All I know is that it's crazy bright!! I kind of want to get a mini-mag and get an led upgrade and tail clicky for it and see how I like it.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

One hangs in the pantry so we can find stuff and a couple more laying around somewhere.

8. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

I have a couple mini-mags with LEDs but they don't leave the house.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

4d with terralux upgrade by the bed, a 2d next to the breaker board in case of a power cut, and an incan 2 aaa in my washbag as a backup. Issued a 2 aa led at work, which is a really good light actually, and still have a solitaire kicking around somewhere!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Embarasses to be seen together?:D :rofl:

sungame, ManVsLawn and gibbsrule9 like this.
  11. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

25 years ago they were the dogs bollocks but for me they have been superseded by the advent of LED....I still have a couple of 25 year old Mini's that work, along with a Solitaire but they are only in the stable for nostalgic reasons and would never go into the field.

sungame, ManVsLawn and Wishoot like this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, I'm done with Maglites.

For many, many years, I thought that the 2xAA's were the schznit. Then came along the quirky, and semi-reliable Terralux upgrade kits which increased output, but decreased reliability. These are sitting in my basement, never to see service again. I bought one of their 3-mode 3xAAA lights and I like the reliability, but don't care for the price (around $30), UI, build or the ergonomics.

Then came this forum.

Granted I haven't been a member here all that long, but what I quickly realized was that there was a world beyond Maglite. I was introduced to the more expensive brands, cheap brands and everything in between. Being the cheap bastid that I am, I found sellers like Fastech and Deal Extreme that will gladly help you drain your savings account and send you multitudes of inexpensive LED's that are better than any Maglite at 1/4 the cost. The down side being they are not made in the USA.

I really want to like Maglite, but they just missed the boat when it comes to product development. There are too many other brands out there that do it better and with better prices. If they could figure out a way to produce cool stuff like Olight or ThruNite, they could win me back. I don't seem them going down that road however.

13. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

this is kind of a repeat from another thread... the state of Florida has several tax free days on hurricane supplies at the beginning of the season... Lowes typically has a door buster special of 2D and 3D LED MagLights for $12 and $18... I have 3 or 4 of the 2Ds between the house and car

I ride a bicycle for exercise, and use a AA LED Mini Maglight (on Eneloops) for a headlight in addition to a LED white strobe

14. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I own a dozen or so maglites of various sizes. I wear one on my belt every day at work, and the new led solitaires can be found on all of my keychain setups. I own several other brands as well but there are few that can take a beating like a maglite (at the same price point). I like the look, feel, and reliability of my maglites.
    It is true that maglite fell behind in the high output lumens race, but they are begining to catch up. The mini mag now has an output of about 270 lumens, which is plenty for me.

Maglite yesterday, Maglite today, Maglite Forever.

CSM-101, Stealth digger and ManVsLawn like this.
  15. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Please... seek professional help. :p

Maglites are still desirable for one reason only: their heft.

These small but effective 1xAA, 2xAA, 2x123, whatever, lights are terrific, but sometimes you want something substantial.

Got a 5D-cell with a ROP bulb by the front door for investigating things that go-bump-in-the-night outside (usually just raccoons). Got another 3D-cell with a Malkoff drop-in and glass-breaker tailcap that I keep in the truck. Just put together a 4C-cell with glass-breaker and a drop-in from "Adventure Sport Flashlight" (hella-bright, may be found on your favorite online bidding site) for a friend.

Stealth digger and Wishoot like this.
  16. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

I also want to like Maglite and on the one hand I suspect that they do have their market, certain people will always know that maglite is the way to go I suppose. On the other hand I can't help but wonder if they aren't bleeding money and sitting around wondering why. The XL series is kinda like they went from one end of the spectrum to the other. "Motion-controlled variable power level and strobe rate." I don't even know what that means. I do know it isn't something I could ever find a use for. 3xAAA? Why? Have they just never heard of edcf or cpf?

What product could Maglite make that would get people not just interested, but excited to own? I think Maglite demonstrated their technology prowess with the XL, regardless of the fact that I can't picture myself wanting one, it's just not exactly EDC material.

Wishoot likes this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

In a word, meh. I still have a couple of 2-D LED lights, one in the house, one in the roomie's car.

I have a couple of 4-mode x2 AA LEDs lying around as beater lights and a x3 AA single mode MagLED for nostalgia's sake. Oh, and one of their new x2 AAA LED penlights - which is surprisingly nice and a lot better than I've come to expect from Maglite these days.

But overall their basic product offering leaves me indifferent, if not downright annoyed.

hal_chase and Wishoot like this.
  18. Ataki

Ataki Loaded Pockets

I carry a mini maglite with LED upgrade almost every day for work, It does the job I need it for well enough. I like that it can sit in the sheath on my belt, and I can barely tell it's there half the time. 4 years of almost daily use, and it still works just fine. I also have a 2-C Maglite under the seat in my jeep, It was a freebie I got when I bought a truck years ago.

Wishoot likes this.
  19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

There are a number of D-Cell lights on the market that fill their role, IMHO. Of course at 3-5 the cost.

To make a Mag into a modern light (more than 150 lumens with spill lighting) it's not cheap. An XML drop-in will cost $50+.

I recall Duracell has some cheap C-cell 500 lumen lights for like $20.

Wishoot likes this.
  20. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I used to think they were the best just because they were "maglight". Good marketing I guess. I still have 2 3D cells around the house as well as a couple of 2AA Mini Mags. Remnants from a time before I knew better. They are backups now in case of a power outage or something.

I still like the feel of the cold machined aluminum 3d cell when you pick it up. The heft and the feel of the metal just makes me feel tough as it feels like finely crafted club.

Wishoot, tmedina and hal_chase like this.