1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maglite 4D vs. 1000lm flashlight for car EDC?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by sbiner, Jul 16, 2014.

1. sbiner

sbiner Loaded Pockets

The Maglite would provide extra security in the car with the weight, build and length being to my advantage.

The 1000lm flashlight is for aggressive or dangerous drivers, when a flash of the high beam or a honk won't stop them.

Which one would you pick? OR maybe someone carries something even better?

2. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I'm from the school that thinks you shouldn't blind people who are driving towards you.

In the trunk of my car I have: Mag 2D ROP (1000 lumens ish), Mag 2D LED Modded to a High CRI SSC, Mag 2D LED Modded to a higher output SSC

In the driver door of my car I have a Jetbeam Jet 3M.

3. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Maglite 4d, with terralux upgrade. Stupid bright, and still usable to bonk silly people on the head with, if you so wish!

lnytunes likes this.
  4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I've been tempted to blast a driver with a flashlight but the potential manslaughter charge always makes me just pull over and let them pass.

As for in your car for a situation when someone may be trying to breach it (for some unlikely zombie-esque situation) there are plenty of baton lights out there. The 3/4D Maglite isn't bad but it's really wide at the handle. I would go with something like a Solarforce Gladiator, plus it makes a great host for all sorts of lighting solutions when you aren't bludgeoning things. :p

twin63 likes this.
  5. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

The TerraLUX MiniStar31 M-EX is a good upgrade but for a bulletproof car/home light the Malkoff XML Maglite upgrade is the go-to item. It's a real 700+ lumen drop-in that's meant to run all the time in a Aircraft Aluminum billet heatsink. Gene makes good stuff NO-:censored:.

david57strat likes this.
  6. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I have one of these installed in my 6D MagLite. It's pretty decent - although I've lost the spot feature. It's very floody, but nice, just the same, and a vast upgrade from the Magnum Star bulb that had been installed in it, for all those years. Rated at 1000 lumens, it's probably more like 600 or so, out the front.

[​IMG]

I installed a Malkoff XPG drop-in in a 2D Maglite, and it really did wonders for the light - in spite of the modest 270 OTF lumen rating. I also installed a Malkoff XP-G2 3-mode (400 lumen max...?) P60 drop-in in a SolarForce L2T, which is very impressive, and extremely well-built. It provides a great combination of spot and spill. Well done, Gene!

[​IMG]
    The Malkoff drop-in is installed in the L2T (second from the let, in this picture). This drop-in is built like a tank!

You can't go wrong with a Malkoff upgrade :)

vinniec5 likes this.
  7. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I keep a survival tomahawk and my daughters old Tball bat in the trunk. Using your light source as a weapon just means you lose both when it breaks...

I do keep a MagLite in the trunk though, but without the batteries in it. I have had too many 3 cell D and C mag lites ruined from expanded and leaking batteries. I keep the mag lite and 2 sets of batteries in the trunk to use as a long term light if needed. With a 70+ hour runtime I would only need to use it for extended power outages. For anything else my EDC lights or my other lights provide greater light output (I don't mod my maglites).

8. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

Maglite 6D with terralux upgrade is what I have!

9. Kyle Davis

Kyle Davis Guest

So reading this malkoff seams to be the best upgrade to the allready :censored: mag lite??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

we were overrun by multiple storms in the 2004 hurricane season... I had a tendency to misplace my 2D MagLight (which is still my workhorse light), so a lesson learned after the first storm was to attach a split ring, and then clip it to my key ring

[​IMG]

11. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

My car light is whatever uses CR123s that I'm not using somewhere else.
    No chance of the cells corroding and destroying the light, killer shelf life and better working temperature range.