1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Made myself a prytool/scraper/peanut butter spreader

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Elder Futhark, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

Elder Futhark - concerning smaller karambits, I concur. I EDC an Emerson Combat Karambit, but really prefer minimalistic ones. I keep thinking I'll get another Barry Dawson one of these days, but I haven't made it a big priority due to some pretty severe health issues in my immediate family lately.

You're not missing anything by not spinning it - spinning is possibly the least useful and most insanely dangerous thing you can do with a karambit. I have seen it done properly by an extremely gifted teacher, but I don't do it myself - my mechanics and control aren't nearly that good yet.

I am very interested in following the continuing evolution of your karambit design!

Elder Futhark likes this.
  2. Elder Futhark

Elder Futhark Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Got a few things from the waterjet peeps today... :)

3. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

clean man. love your logo too, its very pleasing. how much do they charge you or water jetting? if you dont mind me asking,

4. Elder Futhark

Thanks guys :) Pete3 I have friends...

5. Elder Futhark

Another new design on the bottom. Mini Persian/pikal knife :) This one I'm really excited about! This ones a render, but it should be going out to the waterjet next week. Scales come in a few weeks too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bard

Bard Loaded Pockets

Pretty toys, good sir.

vegassprky likes this.
  7. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

^^^ what he said +1 !

vegassprky likes this.
  8. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Did you machine the metal work before dimensioning the CAD files for the scales or did you fully design and dimension both, then machined the metal according to specs?

Also what do you consider the state of the art for 3D printing metals? I know about the sintering tech used by the US military and General Electric for instance but I mean for consumer level printing. I am curious when you think it will be possible for consumers to print for example your above designs, and the metal will be sufficiently strong to function nearly as well as your machined pieces do presently.

9. Elder Futhark

Ironside, the metal work is designed in CAD. Its then sent to get waterjet cut. The scales are 3D printed from laser sintered nylon from my 3D model. A lot of this is hand sketched, then digitized, then printed on paper,, then sketched over top, then digitized again, then cut out of card, then tested for feel :) often this is all repeated again!

I've had quite a few things 3D printed in stainless steel. However it probably doesn't have the edge holding abilities of stock steel that's cut and heat treated. I think with the rapid growth of tech, it won't be long before we have a knife of quality :)

Ironside and vegassprky like this.
  10. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

I follow 3D printing casually, and printed "steel" isn't really. It's more like bronze with steel powder, like glass reinforced plastics. Shapeways says their stainless steel is only 60% steel and 40% bronze.

vegassprky likes this.
  11. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

elder f they are works of art mate, great work i would buy one if they were avaliable in australia
    Xiii

vegassprky likes this.
  12. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great work

vegassprky likes this.
  13. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

If you're looking at historical blades for inspiration like the Pikal...
    Japanese anything
    Gurkha Kukri
    Egyptian Khopesh

All your blades so far are fantastic, and very original.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Those renderings look awesome. :)

15. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My own DIY EDC pry bar. Just a cheap old chisel with the handle removed. Cheap, easy, and incredibly useful.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

boyo17 and vegassprky like this.
  16. Elder Futhark

Thanks everyone! My background is in Filipino martial arts (Kali), Silat and Aikido. So I take inspiration from a lot of resources :) It also helps that my father is a blacksmith/carpenter and even makes his own blades. And my Guro and Sensei encourage me quite a bit!

17. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very nice designs @Elder. You got skillz, yo.

Elder Futhark and vegassprky like this.
  18. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Is water jet cutting expensive? Plus it looks like there is grinding as well on your pieces for finishing eh?
    I can't wait until we can customize downloadable designs of things like tools then print or have them auto assembled - it is a disruptive tech and worth getting to understand.
    Have you ever considered modelling in Sculpy or similar material to refine ergonomics prior to CAD modelling? It gives you a model that can be measured using calipers for the CAD rendering.

19. Elder Futhark

Ironside waterjet is reasonably inexpensive. Especially since I don't have proper tools, time and space. I do use my buddy shop for finishing and grinding. The grind on the models are for showing the final design. I will be also doing reverse edge along the top spine.

I do make card and plastic dummy models for sizing and ergonomics. I forgot to mention that. Sculpty is a great idea! I do use it at the studio when I do massing models. Thanks bro!

Ironside likes this.
  20. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Sorry for all the questions ...I just have em. Thanks for answering.
    I like the economy of both of these designs and the clashing idea that despite a sort of harsh geometric aesthetic they appear clearly wanting to be held. Having a simple central arcing line on top as a spine gives an elegance and unity to each piece allowing the bottom to be all business with functional features incised as a complex.
    Nice work sir.