1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Made my own inchworm (actually I made two)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by MartinDWhite, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MartinDWhite

MartinDWhite Loaded Pockets

I saw the inchworm a while ago and thought it was a GREAT thing. So I decided to make myself one. I chucked up a piece of 5/16 rod in my lathe and used a threading bit to make the indentations. The larger one is 3 inches long and marked in 1/16 for first inch and 1/8 for the rest. There are larger cuts at each inch. I carried it for a couple months, used it often enough to make it worth having. My cousin saw it and said that he would like one....if I had time. Since he is my cousin I whipped out a smaller one for him. It is 2 5/8 inches long with similar marking. I offset turned the marks on it so the 1/16 marks are only visible on one side.

[​IMG]

I plan to make a replacement for myself with the ofset turning method and put inches on one side and mm on the other. It should be much more useful....

Martin D. White

2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Nice work, i did the same thing, just on a larger scale, on my walking stick, "on wood",, took a very fine blade, "metal hack saw" made a grove (the first 2" doesnt count due to having a rubber foot) every 1/2" for 4", and a grove every 1" for a foot, total 2', but for every inch mark from start to finish instead of a hack saw blade i used a wood blade to make it wider, and also longer, and to make things more readable took a sharpie and let the unfinished wood suck the ink in. also made a number on 1 & 2' lines.. but i really like your inchworm design better! JR

3. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Very nice! I like the idea of offset turning the marks.

4. jdstuf

jdstuf Loaded Pockets

I was itching to make a few of these for myself, and as gifts. I hadn't even thought of offset turning the marks. Excellent idea, thanks for sharing!

5. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

Very nice Work!

6. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

Definitely going to do something similar once I resume my internship this summer. Good job