1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mac's SST-50 EDC Custom

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Patriot222, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

Since Mac calls this model his "EDC" I figured this was a fitting place to post a video of this light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-weRXWAcfo&feature=player_embedded

I've owned the light for one week now and I'm still utterly impressed with the quality and performance. I haven't been so impressed with a light since the LX2 was released but to be honest, this SST-50 EDC is a massive leap in performance and technology. Worth looking into if you're considering a $150-$180 light. He also produces a Ti version starting at $300.

2. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

That is a great light and a great review. I was considering buying one, but it was too difficult to get in on the waves, as they were released around the holidays. Amazing value.

One question: is the length of the light awkward? Most 1 cell 123As are smaller, so I am just wondering.

3. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Nice review! I have looked at that light before, but have not pulled the trigger. After seeing it handled in your video I may have to rethink that. The peformance and machining look to be outstanding.

4. reeso

reeso Loaded Pockets

Nice video Patriot.
    I snagged one on the 2nd run and it still amazes me when I switch it to high (2.8A). I went for the smooth no clip option as I don't carry it.

5. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

I suspect that it would only be awkward if you prefer not to carry a single CR123 sized light that's slightly "larger." To put it in perspective though, at 3.8" in length, it's smaller than a Surefire E1B. Many consider it to be the premier, single CR123 of production lights.

6. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

It's worth considering if you're a light junkie. The price point is obviously impressive considering that it's in the rhelm of upper end production EDC lights.

7. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting that video. It's much smaller than I had thought, and for some reason I didn't know it was a single RCR123. I nearly bought one several times, but never followed through for some reason. Now I'm glad I didn't jump in. I'm still wondering what the beam and output are like.

Tom

8. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

4th run now open...

9. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

The beam is a medium flood, the output is 550+ lumens with IMR 16340 cell. :)

10. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

Thanks Lord Bear, just saw that after getting home. Get them while you can guys. Only a few buck more than an E1B. It's a " Formula 1 car" of a light!

11. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Just sent in my pp for an Alum, thanks Patriot for the review.

12. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

Very welcome! It looks like you'll be getting it fairly soon as well.

Here is a hastily taken picture of it next to a pair of very popular mainstays, the E1B and LX2.....

[​IMG]

13. russtang

russtang Loaded Pockets

I have had several cutoms from Mac. All have been very nice.

Excellent machine work.

14. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I got to handle one of these a few months ago, it has a great design and feel to it (love the body shape) as well as being a real retina scorcher. One cooooooool light.