1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Machine Era Original Brass on the way....

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bryan123, Mar 14, 2019.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I ordered it this morning because of the rave review by U-Tube reviewer Nick Shabazz and because the Pilot G2, which it takes, has recently been my favorite refill.

Lately in fact I have been EDCing Pilot G2's in an early version (Japan) Zebra R-301 and a Waterman Laureat rollerball but the Machine Era looks to be a better option.

I was also interested in the stainless steel version but it's out of stock.

Anyone else have one? Any comments or suggestions?

I'll post impressions after arrival. I'm pretty psyched.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

They do make a nice product. I must admit, however that I'm not a fan of screw top pens...plus I already have a Waterman Expert which pretty much covers that type of pen (and the top clicks on and clicks to post), plus it has a clip. Machine Era's workmanship is very good. I own their Compact & it's the perfect EDC pen for me (retired, daily jeans or shorts wearer--usually with a tee shirt). I used to use Pilot G2 refills in my Waterman when I was working because they write well and don't break the bank if you are writing a lot. These days, I'm not writing as much, so using the Schmidt 888 rollerball refills, which do write better, although it depends on preference between gel & rollerball. Congrats on your purchase.:)

bryan123 likes this.
  3. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I backed their new twist action on Kickstarter.. This will be my first non-TacticalTurn pen in years.

4. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Whoa! I guess that says a lot about whatcha think of Will Hodges' writing instruments, huh? Will does great work. I also like what Machine Era's Adam Hogsett's created, and this one, with the Parker-compatible International G2 refills, is one I'm anticipatin' as well.

:cool:

5. dgaddis

dgaddis Loaded Pockets

I love my Machine Era pen. Nice weight, well made, ZERO tip wiggle.

New
    [​IMG]

After some use, starting to darken up a bit.
    [​IMG]

6. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Got mine from Massdrop, turned up this week. Love the feel of it, but its a fathers day present, so cant really use it for a few more weeks

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Got my stainless steel Field twist today. Its pretty darn good. Had a subtle weight to it. The indentations on the upper portion of the grip are
    rather good ...dont't dig into my fingers. The Itoya needlepoint gel is a bit different than Im used to ...will use this for awhile.

8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Nice! I guess it takes the USPS a little longer to get stuff here (they arrived yesterday, I think). So as to not double-post, you can see mine over yonder. Just things I noticed - a bit of the DLC coating is missing (on the curved section at the tip opening side), and for both, there are rub marks, possibly from contact with other writing instruments. I mean, from use, they'll eventually get their character marks, so not a big deal; just something not fun if they arrive that way.

:cool:

9. dgaddis

dgaddis Loaded Pockets

10. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to say .. after using the Field Twist pen for several weeks the annoyances for me are:

a.) The tip for a regular Easyflow or Parker refill extends out a little too much. While this does affect the writing or functioning much for
    the pen it:
    1.) Detracts from the overall precision and precise design of the pen
    2.) One runs the risk of pocket lint etc getting into the refill from your pocket while the refill is retracted. Its not too bad retracted.though.I've experienced really bad retraction tolerances (original Tactile Turn Shaker, KK EDC).

b.) The stainless steel has some heft to it for the pen's size...this is not a problem but something to realize if you like really light pens.

I know for a.) above one can trim the top of the refill and then it will not extend out so much... I may do that... Its just when I have to trim/alter/hack refills it means to me that the pen was designed around a single refill and not the average multitude of Parker
    size refills on the market.

Hardly really bad problems... it is a well made pen and I was able to enjoy and depend on it...