1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Macbook Pro: SSD or no?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by milks, Dec 15, 2010.

1. milks

milks Empty Pockets

I am going to be picking up an MBP for school use next semester, and am debating the 256gb SSD drive (or maybe even the 128...I use an external HD for music and movies). I've heard the battery life is better, and it solves the problem of the computer running so hot it's intolerable to use on your lap. (Since I'm typing this in the nude with my current HP laptop on my thighs/knees right now, that's a big issue for me.)

I've also considered the new Macbook Air, and just connecting it to my TV when I want a bigger display, but the non-lighted keyboard kills it for me. That's the biggest thing I miss about my 2007 MBP. :tickedoff:

Thanks for advice/opinions.

2. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Honestly $450 for an extra 128GB seems kind of unreasonable. If you really need the storage space I'd go with using the external HDD.

Unless your reading about the SSD resolving heat issues from a credible source, I'd argue against the idea that an HDD is a large source of heat. I think video cards, processors, and batteries should be the main source of heat in a laptop.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

$450 can buy a lot of pants.

I've never noticed the heat of my MBP.

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The hard drive is not a large source of heat in the MacBook Pro, the CPU and video processor are the big culprits. SSD are nice, for the battery life and reliability boost, but still are far away from traditional hard drives both in total capacity and price per GB. That being said, it is very likely that Apple will start integrating SSD onto the MBP logic board like they've done in the MB Air. I'm actually an Apple Consultant and tech, the approach I took on my own MBP is to buy the traditional hard drive, with the intent of upgrading to an SSD when/if I feel its right.

5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Put aside data, and figure if you need to you can push that to an external hard drive.

Calculate how much you will need for actual apps to determine the size of the primary drive. There is still a fairly heft premium for SSDs, although pricing was expected to plummet earlier this year, but it never happened.

Up to you wheather the trade off in cooling is worth the premium storage. Battery life should also be extended a bit.

ATB,
    Sam

6. milks

milks Empty Pockets

How about MBP v. the new MBA? Any advice there?

7. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

Having a MacBook Pro myself, I can say that the SSD vs the HDD doesn't really make THAT big of a difference for me. Now, the SSD is a lot more durable than the HDD, however, unless you taking the darned thing with you everywhere, and you expose it to excessive amounts of stress, I can't really think of a reason why you'd want an SSD. They are faster. I don't really know if it's going to be that significant in your case, though. As for the MacBook Air vs the MBPs, I'm not one who is willing to sacrifice performance for weight and size. Don't expect a MacBook Air to perform like a MPB. It simply won't. Heat...heat? What heat? I don't really notice too much heat on my lap. I mean, there is some, but it's no where near being uncomfortable. Just go with which ever one you like best. You can't go wrong with a Mac.

8. BASR

BASR Loaded Pockets

If you're seriously considering a SSD, I would order the MBP with the standard HDD. Then, I would buy a third-party SSD from Newegg so I would save money, get to pick a particular model, and have a spare backup drive.

9. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

Agreed. Apple gets you on upgrades like hard drives and RAM. You can find these much cheaper elsewhere. SSD are cool but for the cost I don't know if it's worth it yet. I know it isn't for me.

10. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

I bought one of the new MBA's the moment it came out, a 13.3 and I love it! Well actually I returned the first one, it had the 128gb ssd and I bought the one with the 256gb ssd instead.

Its fast, battery life is great, I really like it but it is a pain if you need an optical drive or a physical NIC, if you dont then life is good.

The SSD in the MBA is amazingly fast compared to my earlier MBP (13.3) but I have no idea if the SSD they put in the larger MBPs will be as fast as the one in the MBA. The SSD's in the new MBAs plug directly into a mini-pci slot vs in the MBP where its still a SATA device, but the MBP has the much faster CPU and a GPU and those will make up for the speed difference between the SSDs.

11. milks

milks Empty Pockets

I'm leaning towards the MBA. Those darn unlighted keys kill me. Anybody know of a mod for that?
    Thanks.

12. Igor01

Igor01 Loaded Pockets

There was an article on MacRumors stating that Apple may go SSD on their upcoming MBPro models (should be out early next year), no word on whether they'll ditch regular drives at all or just on the high-end models.

13. MBMA

MBMA Empty Pockets

As a last resort you can use these for the Macbook Air keys so that they light up. They reflect the light from your monitor to make the keys glow. Haven't really looked into any reviews, but from some of the pictures they seem to work pretty well. MBMA

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/d77d/

14. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

I have the new 15.4 MBP with the 512 GB SSD. It was around $1500 just for the SSD upgrade but for my use it is worth it. My system boots in about 10 seconds and I never have to wait for programs to load. I have since upgraded all my desktop systems to SSDs as well but on those machines I went with the 160 GB drive (I use the SSD for just the OS and the applications and have a normal hard for all my data). Personally I would never go back to a laptop with a mechanical hard drive again.....I just wish the price on the SSD would come down.