1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MacBook Air ... Worthy purchase?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by antman157, Feb 23, 2014.

1. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Debating hard on getting an MacBook Air. I have an iPad air, but sometimes I just need that little bit more. I work in IT and have been traveling a lot, a laptop would be good to have on these trips ... I was looking at the 11" but one downfall is the SD card slot, so I am leaning towards the 13" 256gb model. Gonna bump the ram to 8gb

Who all has a MacBook Air? The things I will be doing mostly are: virtualize windows 8 for work programs, iTunes, streaming video, and maybe start learning a little code, and of course surfing EDCF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

I guess one doesn't need an optical drive much anymore. You can get a stand alone one, I think. I've been thinking of getting one of these too. I've never had an Apple computer. Do you think they are worth the extra cost over a PC?

3. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Loaded Pockets

If you're going the MacBook route, one question to ask yourself is "Do I REALLY need the reduced weight of the Air?"

If you go for a regular MacBook Pro, you'll get a much better-specced machine at the same price point. Higher performance, same battery life, more weight. Depends which factors matter most to you.

sungame, atilano and antman157 like this.
  4. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I looked around best buy and from a price point, the ultra books are very close in price, maybe a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I've had several macs before, and I like them a lot. I'm more in it for the weight, I like to keep everything as light as I can

5. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

So I have the latest models MBA 13 and rMBP 13. Both are 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD models. From a performance point of view there is no difference (that I can tell). One major difference is the displays - but not in the way you would think. The MBA is 1440x900 native but the rMBP is 2560x1600 - but all those extra pixels are actually just giving you a sharper working resolution of 1280x800. So the MBA actually has more effective screen real estate. Of course, the display on the rMBP is much crisper and nicer, and you can get 3rd party utilities that let you adjust the effective resolution.

If you're doing photos or videos - then the rMBP. For programming / office related, the MBA will do just fine.

6. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Would the air be capable of very basic / simple photo editing without choking?

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have an 11" Air and a 13" and a 17" MBP and I carry the Air all the time if I don't need one of the others for a specific job.

The SD card is a non issue for me and a tiny USB model works fine if I need it. Any USB external drive will work and aside from my going blind and needing bigger font sizes the Air is the best computer I have ever owned,and I have and do own a lot of them. The same thing holds true for the larger display models as they all offer too high resolution for my eyes and I end up enlarging everything no matter the screen size.

I run Windows on every Mac using either Fusion or Boot Camp and somehow even virtualized the Mac never crashes where native Windows machines will?

The thing that might not be so obvious too is that the Air is designed to run only Flash Hard Drive and thus is so much faster than any system that doesn't it is hard to believe until you try one.

I also maintain and configure systems for others and design and install and support automation and control systems and the one machine I would replace right away if it died is my Air! I need to Remote In a lot and analyze and repair systems from afar and with the 11" Air I never even think about carrying the machine,I just do.

I use the other Macs for interface design mostly and really use the extra screen space they offer but for portability and all around use the Air is easily my favorite.
    I also have a 16" DisplayLink USB monitor that I use to extend the Air Desktop and it is just Plug and Play and even powers through the usb connection so I can get away with the Air as my only machine even for bigger projects if I need to.

You can also use an iPad as a second display if you like.

So far no regrets at all and I highly endorse an Air for almost everyone!

atilano likes this.
  8. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

Sure. There's very little difference between the MBA and the rMBP - mostly the display, the rMBP has slightly better Intel graphics (Iris vs. 5000) and HDMI output.

sungame and antman157 like this.
  9. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

I have two. A 2008 and 4/2013. Wouldn't trade them for anything else.

bluedevil76 likes this.
  10. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

I've had one for just over 3 years... Whenever it kicks the bucket, I'll buy another.

Great product.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bluedevil76 likes this.
  11. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

How big a hard-drive did you get?

12. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Actually I'd like an implant so I don't have to carry all these gizmos around!

Knightrock likes this.
  13. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Some of my Navy photographers deploy with their own MBA instead of the issued MacBook Pro's. The do it for the weight issues. They run Photoshop and Premier with no issues. Store everything on ruggedized external HD's. They all got the 13" models.

antman157 likes this.
  14. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

120gb

15. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

I have an 11" MBA (2011). It runs like a champ and is screaming fast. I have a 256GB hard drive. The thing you have to remember with the Air is that you cannot upgrade it (that is how it is so thin). So, if you go with the Air, get the largest amount of RAM, and the biggest hard drive they offer. Otherwise, if you think you will upgrade your RAM or HD in 2-3 years, I would go with the regular MBP. As for the SD card slot, I don't know anybody that uses them with the exception of photographers. An adapter or cable from your camera will work just as well.

Regarding editing photos, you will have no problems.

sungame, antman157 and Knightrock like this.
  16. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I was looking at the 256 and 8gb of ram for virtualization ... That should be enough :)

17. Peruvianmagic

Peruvianmagic Loaded Pockets

I'm not near as technical as some of these other guys but I really like my 2012 MBA. Everyone I showed is really impressed with the weight and thinness. The only downfall I had was I didn't really the screen wasn't HD because I wanted the option to watch Blu rays with a third party program. I have office on mine to do school work which does just fine. I only have the 64gb hard drive. Since music and movies take up most of my space, I assigned my iTunes to an external hard drive which is really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Peruvianmagic

Also I found mine used on Amazon for a great deal. Not a scratch on it and it was a chunk cheaper than anywhere else I looked.

19. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Is the Apple operating system easy to learn? I have an IPhone and IPad, would that make it easier to learn?

20. Peruvianmagic

There are a few differences but I would say its easy to learn. In this day and age, if you have a question, Google has already answered it a few years ago.