1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mac Users: Upgrade to Catalina?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Moshe ben David, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, my fellow Mac users. Any experiences with upgrades to Catalina?

I have not. There has been enough chatter about issues that I am not quite ready. I'm still using Mojave. With an occasional resort to Firefox; see below.

About a week ago I had some issues that were a big enough :censored: that I made a trip into my local Apple store to see the 'Geniuses' (that's a title, not being snarky!). After running diagnostics and finding nothing, the recommendation was to reinstall Mojave... Fortunately I had a sudden inspiration and we tried shutting down the Firewall I was running as part of an Intego suite. That fixed the issue I was contending with.

Before leaving, I asked the 'Genius' if they were (a) seeing issues still with Catalina and (b) were they urging people to migrate to Catalina. He sorta grinned and 'suggested' that it might be best to hold off on migrating to Catalina for a while longer.... ;)

One reason I bring this up is that just a short while ago I tried to get into my accounts with Chase bank. Now, the website is running a banner that says 'soon' they will no longer support the version of Safari I am using... I read this to mean they hadn't pulled the trigger yet. But. I could NOT log in!

So I booted up Firefox. Worked fine...

What sort of experiences are you having?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

So, before you asked, I didn't even know :)
    Apparently I have High Sierra on my iMac, so not very new, but it works like a charm. I do all my web browsing with Chrome even though I have mixed feelings for Google as a company, but I can't deny that the browser is technically very good.
    My iMac has reached a significant age, so I'm not doing any upgrades just for fun. If it works, don't fix it.
    It's the same with my Mac laptop. It's just one year younger than my iMac, but I don't use it hardly as much. I have no issues with Chrome there either, but with very limited usage, it doesn't really qualify as a data point.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

IIRC, one of the bigger issues with Catalina (for me) is it no longer use XML for iTunes libraries. If you do extensive sound work with multiple libraries, until 3rd party devs figure out what they’re going to do, I’d let this one marinate for a while longer.

Sometimes I really miss Snow Leopard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

LOL. I know what you mean about Snow Leopard. I resisted moving off it for a LOONNGG time. Actually too long. What finally pushed me was when a couple of apps and my Garmin GPS software would no longer run. On the Garmin I was about a year behind in map updates; when it finally dawned on me. I contacted Garmin; they just blamed it on me not updating my Mac OS... sigh.

So now I do upgrade although not necessarily at the first 'blush' ;). I'm on Mojave and so far so good...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

If I may piggy-back on this --- anyone using Sidecar with an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil?

My main machine is a Samsung Galaxy Book 12, since I have to have a stylus (for writing, drawing, and annotation), but unfortunately, Microsoft crippled active styluses in Fall Creators Update, making it essentially impossible to select text with stylus which doesn't have a side button (my favourite Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus lacks one), and requiring a registry edit to use styluses in legacy apps, so I've had to roll back to 1703 twice now.

I've been considering getting a Mac Mini (as a desktop/server) and using it (mostly) via an iPad Pro w/ Apple Pencil via Sidecar --- is anyone using that feature? How workable is it?

6. Moshe ben David

I don't mind you riding piggy-back at all. Just concerned you won't get much response ... why not start a new thread? Might be more productive methinks!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Still running Sierra on my 2011 Macbook. It sits all day in a dock and displays on a 27 inch Mac display. I have thought about getting a new one, but once I swapped out the hard drive for flash memory a few years ago, I decided it was fine as it was - it was almost like getting a new machine. Once Apple dumps the butterfly keyboard for good, I would consider getting a new MacBook but don't really need one. For the time being, I live mostly on my business Windows machine and my iPad Pro when I am away from the Macbook.

My company is moving from a MS environment to Google and I hear that we may permit "bring your own device" for laptops (we already permit BYOD for phones). If that happens, I will definitely get a new Macbook. The only windows apps I still use are MS Project and Visio and they run just fine under Parallels.

jbj and Moshe ben David like this.