1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lumens and the self defense flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 1, 2017.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

So you shine a light on someone you think is a threat and you aren't at least mindful and ready to draw, you can see him better because he is blinded by your light but you are afraid he will outdraw you and squint well enough to shoot out your light? I gotta see that. ;)

2. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I carry a Streamlight Microstream as my EDC and it's good enough for identification. I also have lights all of the way up to 500+ lumen for this and other purposes, the brighter ones are for HD.

If you've never shined a high lumen light in your eyes at ten feet try it sometime using a mirror or having a friend shine it in your eyes while holding it out in front of you/them at about shoulder height.

I wouldn't call the light a weapon, but it can definitely give you an advantage, even a lower lumen light, but especially a bright one.

dmattaponi and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. The Essential Illuminator

The Essential Illuminator Loaded Pockets

I believe the candela is much more important than lumens to keep a potential assailant away!

I have a dozen lights ranging from 80Kcd up to 800Kcd! The lumen range is b/w 900 lumens and 3500 lumens. Any of the aforementioned lights will temporarily blind someone and they could not even get close to me if they tried,,,,,,,,,,a surprise attack and my Husky or GSD will take care of them first!

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My money is on the Husky.

Woof!

Moshe ben David

5. The Essential Illuminator

The Essential Illuminator Loaded Pockets

I LOVE THROWERS!! I got a little carried away,,,hope you liked the Pics.!

I totally agree with CD'S being more important. I have several modded lights that are b/w 700 and 1700 lumens that have b/w 100Kcd and 750Kcd..

The Two that are 750 lumens are 470Kcd and 552Kcd respectively! You do not need a lot of lumens for throw and the center beam intensity from these lights is MORE than enough to temporarily blind someone!

Here is Two beam shots[trail] from my Eagletac M25C2vn T 750L/552Kcd/1486M/1625Yds. of throw!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is 902 yards away.

[​IMG]

Also I tested the light at 1770 yards[ 1 mile 10 yards] the other night on this same tower.It reached it and shed light. May not be ANSI rated but it sheds sufficient light on the tower. Picture below.

CONTROL

[​IMG]

Illumination @ 1770YDS

[​IMG]

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Sadly, here in the UK, we can't have a firearm, baton or carry any of the obvious items for self defense purposes,....a torch, walking stick or umbrella are the only items that we can 'get away' with,....even then, if you got caught using these items to defend yourself, you'd probably be punished by the courts too. The laws here are a complete joke really.

dmattaponi likes this.
  7. Danny Baker

Danny Baker Loaded Pockets

I have to disagree with the bulk of you. Up close & personal, a high output flashlight is most definitely a solid ‘tool’ for self defense. Its applications are multiple. Like any other tool, it needs be implemented in a thoughtful manner, but my personal history has provided me with confidence that a properly utilized torch is quite formidable in cqb situations.

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

The other aspect of flashlight self-defense is having a crenulated bezel that can be used as a close-up weapon to slash an attacker. Of course, now you are in hand-to-hand combat at this point. But it may be useful.

dmattaponi and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

The perceived ~meh~ performance of those lights are also what spawned the market for 6p drop-ins.

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Police have been effectively blinding people with non LED Maglites for decades. Just about any decent LED light will be enough to blind a person enough to either run or counter attack.

11. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

One factor that also think plays a factor in lumens is the level of background light. In an urban area with street and building light, you would need a very bright light shined directly in a persons eyes to have the same impact as a lower brightness light in a dark rural area.

12. Danny Baker

I always carry 800-1600 lumen lights. You can call it overkill, but why not have the advantage? It’s saved my :censored: on two occasions. I’m a believer.

13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Good point.

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

And don't forget -- any Maglite, but especially one with batteries inside (even dead batteries) can be used as a pretty effective club if need be! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't call it overkill. Just like a firearm, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I want a crap ton of throw because it has been handy many times.

Nick4305 and dml24 like this.
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

All of these are 18650's lights I take it?
    For 24/7 on person carry, I find that cell powered light just a bit too long and bulky compared to a CR123 or AA light.

17. Danny Baker

Some/most are single 18650’s...my favorite ones anyway...have a few high end & a few mid range-plenty to chose from. I always have liked certain cammo’s/cargo of different varieties as my typical casual pants, so I can carry an ECD load without notice much easier than many, however, if you’re thinking about it from a defensive perspective, one can listen to the paraphrased comment that Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch said about carrying a full size 1911- again, paraphrased: ‘A gun is not supposed to be comfortable. It should be comforting.’ It doesn’t mean that at all times it’s convenient or doable, but if you’re venturing into a potentially less than ideal situation, at a minimum, I’d count a solid flashlight among those things that make me feel comfortable. YMMV

18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Of course everyone's tastes vary, but I carry mine TC12 clipped in my right rear pocket for work and I work about 12 hours a day most days. It rides right next to my wallet. I also carried my old Nitecore Extreme in the same spot. So far the extra length and weight haven't been much of a problem, the extra battery life and significantly higher performance are worth it for me. I guess it depends on your needs and how often you're realistically going to use your light. Most times I'd be totally fine with 200 lumens but when I need that ridiculous 1k+ lumen output and football field+ throw, I really need it. It's nice that most of these lights have several output settings.

19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

If I carried an 18650 light, it would be in a pouch on my belt, that would be the best way for me I think.

20. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

What technique did you use? It seemed from the articles that the technique is more important than lumens.

Also, I wonder, since you could likely blind yourself from the backsplash of light, would closing one eye (or wearing an eye patch like a pirate) work in this situation? Afterall you know when you are going to flash the light and the attacker doesn't.