1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LPR Camera

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by quadrille, Jun 3, 2019.

1. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

I am considering installing a LPR (License Plate reader) camera aimed at the street in front of my home that leads into our development. I currently have ring security cameras all around the house. Has anyone installed an LPR camera at their property or business and does it work well? I am just looking for it to log the plate numbers and maybe a photo of the car. I can provide to the PD when there is a break-in in the development.

Thanks

ran23 likes this.
  2. Abhi Beckert

Abhi Beckert Empty Pockets

I’ve no experience with an LPR but since you’ve had no reply I’ll have a crack.

We have cameras at covering both car parks/driveways and also inside for areas likely to be targeted and where privacy isn’t a major concern.

It’s a problem area of the city and we do get break ins (two in the last year).

We don’t have a license plate reader and I’m not convinced it would be useful. I don’t think we’ve ever even seen a car on camera even when items stolen were large enough to require a truck or large van. They park their car outside of view of the cameras (probably searched for cameras on foot before driving in).

Even if we did get a car on camera - we could easily read the number manually.

Cameras are a compromise between security and privacy (who wants to live their life on camera?). For me a licence plate reader sacrifices too much privacy for the benefit.

It’s bad enough someone can see me on camera driving in and out for the last few days. Far more creepy if there’s a spreadsheet with exact dates and times.

I just don’t see how an LPR would improve security. The fact someone drove in/out of the driveway six months ago is not usable as evidence they committed a crime - except maybe trespass... but we have people trespassing constantly. Police have never charged anybody even when we’ve wanted them to. A lecture about behaviour seems to be the only punishment for trespass.

#2 Abhi Beckert, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 2:32 PM