1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Low cost fixed blade for emergency pack

Discussion in 'Knives' started by TheInsideOutsider, Jan 16, 2018.

1. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

If you wan
    t

Kansbol nowadays, which is an updated 2000.
    Excellent choice though.

2. Silvaticus

Silvaticus Loaded Pockets

As a smaller alternative (for me, weight is an issue in a BOB, because you might have to haul things around for extended periods of time, and being injured or malnourished are additional factors to be considered when preparing for an emergency situation), my suggestion would be the Enzo Necker. You can buy the naked knife blade and do a parachord wrap handle, and catch two birds with one stone (knife and rope in a small and capable package). You'll also have the choice of FFG or Scandi (my favorite is Scandi, because it is easy to sharpen in the field), and it'll only set you back 23€ for the blade and another 11€ for the kydex sheath (just checked the site of the manifacturer Brisa), so it is cheap enough to stash one in different locations/ BOBs.

It is on the small side but more than enough knife for most cutting tasks, and Sandviks 12C27 is ideal for a BOB knife imho, as it is quite stainless (you don't want to worry about maintaining your knife when you're in an emergence situation) and it can be easily sharpened in the field (think the back of a coffee mug... which you'll not be able to do with supersteels such as S90V; they'll keep an edge longer, but once it's dull you'll need a diamond stone, which might be hard to find in an emergency situation).

3. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Thank you @TheInsideOutsider for asking your question and to all that have replied.
    Because of this thread I have purchased a couple of Mora's to keep in my trucks toolbox and emergency box. A Mora 2000 and a Companion, both in orange.
    Both were good prices and seam to be stout enough for most jobs.

Lateck,

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

Thanks to everyone who replied I really appreciate it.

Funny that you should mention DBK, theirs was one of the videos that impressed me. By perform I meant in cutting tasks. But those features are attractive.

Thanks for the suggestion, though if I were to go after a more upscale Mora I think the Garberg appeals to me more. Perhaps I will be able to upgrade in the future.
    As for the Eldris I want one of those just because they seem like cool edc/woodswalking fixed blades.

Sounds like a good deal. How are they holding up? Does it feel like the fire-steel retention stays strong or does it deteriorate overtime?

Nice. That's impressive. It's a bit more than I was aiming for and the Pup never really grabbed me. However the Pillar SOG released last year is one that I have put on my list of things to grab in the future.

Awesome. The SRK would probably be my first choice right now. The SK-5 version in particular sticks out in my mind. When I have the opportunity to upgrade it will be sitting at the top of the list.

Bringing up weight is a good point. In the future I plan to streamline the pack but at the moment I'm letting it be a primarily car/get home bag. The bag it's self is a 5.11 Rush 24. I have tested my ability to carry it and everything inside on less than ideal terrain but I don't think it will ever be comfortable for a long haul.

I watched a Dutch Bushcraft Knives outtake where they were attempting to snap one while prying for comedic effect. It took multiple attempts and they had to reinforce the piece of metal they were prying multiple times. At this point I think I'm pretty set on the SS companion.

You are welcome. I'm really glad that this thread is helping more than one person.

5. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

The fire steel on the Mora seems to stay in place with no issue. There is a solid sounding “clunk” when you twist it in place. I look at that steel as a backup plan and either whip out my Bic or a separate fire steel when I need to start a fire. You can buy replacement fire steels for that knife and it looks like Amazon has them for around $12 depending on color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jdjernigan

Also you can take some strips of bicycle inner tube aka. “Ranger bands” and secure stuff to the sheath. Stuff like that bic lighter, your preferred fire steel, a tube with Vaseline soaked cotton balls, the kitchen sink, your neighbors wife, etc. your imagination is the limit. Or if money is no option there are plenty of sheath makers out there that would love to sell you the coolest thing in Mora sheaths.

7. Jdjernigan

Safety note: if you do tie your neighbors wife to the Mora sheath make sure she is down with that kinda thing. Second be prepared to possibly have to use said knife in repelling your neighbor.

8. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

You're right of course; the Kansbol is a great choice. But I prefer the handle on the 2000 ;-)

Glad the OP has found the right tool for them. Most all the suggestions I can heartily agree with as great options :)