1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Low cost fixed blade for emergency pack

Discussion in 'Knives' started by TheInsideOutsider, Jan 16, 2018.

1. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

I want to grab a decent but low cost fixed blade for my bug out/get home/ oops I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere bag. So far I have narrowed it down to three and would like people to weigh in. The three I'm looking at are the Mora Companinon, the Mora Robust, and the Hultafors Mountain Knife (HF383110).

Here is why I'm interested in each:
    Companion:
    -It's a bit longer which could allow for a bit more versatility.
    -It is available in stainless steel which is a bit of a plus considering it will live out most of it's life in a backpack that is contently transferred between home and trunk. If someone wants to convince me to get the carbon version I'm all ears since I do have a tub of frog lube.
    -It has a bright blue variant. This is appealing because its a high viz color that isn't blaze orange.
    -It comes in at the lowest price of the three. This is mostly appealing because I'll probably end up grabbing two knives one for me and one for a friend.

Robust:
    -Based on the information I have found it's supposedly a bit tougher than the Companion.
    -Of the three it has the second lowest cost.

Mountain Knife
    -Most reviews show this to be impressively tough.
    -Out of the box it can strike a fire steel.
    (It basically seems to be the GK but with a coated blade and better sheath. If it didn't look like the GK's sheath was not compatible with most of my belts I'd just get that.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what others think. Thanks.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I like the Mora's. I think they are good value for the price. I have a Mora Companion; only used it around the house but have found it to be a solid performer for what I use it for. Mine is SS.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. TheInsideOutsider

Good to know. Most reviews are of the carbon version. By "solid performer" I assume you mean it has been rather durable?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yes; but let's also recognize I'm a suburban dweller; just not a lot of hard use on my lot.... just usual of opening bags, cutting what needs be etc. I wear it and use it at home frankly because I like the idea of a fixed blade and it feels good in my hand.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose likes this.
  5. TheInsideOutsider

Thanks again. I appreciate the info. After some more searching I found one person beating on it pretty hard. Barring some last minute suggestions I think I have made my choice.

6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

+1 Mora in SS as a durable knife

7. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I also chose the Mora companion. Good design +low cost + SS. The carbon steel model may be a better performer in use but since the knife spends most of it's time in storage the stainless is a better choice for me.

Moose likes this.
  8. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Moras , marttini , kabar .

Jake

9. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Buy the Robust, although at Mora prices you could easily purchase both a Robust & a Companion for a very reasonable price.
    Also, I would not personally concern myself with being able to strike a ferro rod with it. I tend to concentrate on one handed fire lighters in my bag's, because I always make the presumption that I will have injuries that prevent me from using both hands.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. leigh_ratcliffe

P.S. Coat the blades with chap stick. Food safe and very effective at keeping rust off.

Moose, MCPOWoller and huntnow like this.
  11. TheInsideOutsider

Thanks!

That's my mindset as well.

Thanks for the input. Never thought of Marttini in that context. I'll have to take a look.

That's a good point about ferro rods. It's a feature that's on my mind, but not a make or break choice since the fb's I already have are coated and can't do it anyway.

Never thought about trying chapstik. At this point I'm not likely to run out of Frog Lube anytime soon but I will definitely tuck that away for when I'm on the road or in the woods.
    Would you say that the Robust performs significantly better than the Companion?

12. leigh_ratcliffe

Speaking as someone who owns both:
    The Robust is the tougher knife of the two (& I am talking about the latest iteration of the Robust) and has a handle prevents slipping onto the blade in wet or mucky conditions. Dutch Bushcraft have a video out on YouTube. They made a determined attempt to destroy one and bounced, so yes I would say it performs significantly better.
    Having said that, the Clipper is, due to its blade shape, better at finer tasks like skinning game or gutting fish. Personally as I said in my previous post I would buy both, but get the Stainless Steel Clipper for food & game prep. At their prices there is no reason not too.

P.S. Edit: Neither of them is a bad choice.

13. DenCo_E_D_C

DenCo_E_D_C Loaded Pockets

I have a Mora Kansbol w/molle mount and Eldris on/in my emergency pack. Really like both.

14. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I went with Light My Fire Swedish Fireknife (Mora with a fire steel in the handle) for my packs. I also bought them in orange so they would standout. I think I bought them from Sierra Trading Post for less than $18.00 ea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

My US Navy Combat Camera unit issued us SOG SEAL Pups and they worked out great. I still have mine. Our Sailors took them to Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines and ocean waters conducting VBSS in the Persian Gulf and off Somalia. Less than $40 on most online sites.

Rfpd29 likes this.
  16. Jdjernigan

That knife was held in pretty high esteem by the guys in my Infantry unit that had them. Just looked and found one on Amazon for less than $30.

Rfpd29 likes this.
  17. Jdjernigan

Cold Steel SRK was also carried by a bunch of my guys while we were in Iraq. I liked the size and weight of the knife but found I used a smaller fixed blade more often combined with an Emerson CQC-7 and a Leatherman Wave. The SRK can be found for about $50.

18. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

The SRK was my first “real” knife. One of the SERE Instructors showed me his and it was the first piece of gear I purchased afterwards. 26 years later and I still have it!

Rfpd29 likes this.
  19. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

I would go with the SS Companion. The longer blade will be more useful. I know the Robust has a thicker blade, but I don’t see how someone could break the blade on a Companion. It’s plenty sturdy.

20. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

Just for variety I'll add the Mora 2000 into the mix. Not the cheapest Mora, but is still not a bank breaker and has imo the best handle shape and is as tough as old boots. I have 2 of them (as well as a clipper, a 540, some 511s and 510s) that get used by my forestry students. They are have been batoned through knotted logs and all sorts. Tip is nice and slicy too.