1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Love my Droid!

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by bquinlan, Jan 24, 2010.

1. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

i have the HTC droid Eris, and i don't know how i made it this long with a smartphone without android running on it. had a blackberry before this. i guess you could call it the gateway drug to bigger and better things. just wish the battery life was better.

the best part about it is that it isn't apple. i can't stand the proprietary nature of apple products. they serve their purpose, but beyond that they seem to be to be more of a social crutch. people get one not because it's the best solution for their requirements, but because everyone else has one. and at first, it was kind of like a status symbol. "oh hey, yeah this is my iphone that i spent $800 on, no big deal".....

/rant.

2. TKD

TKD Empty Pockets

Wow you are way way off base, you cannot paint a broad brush like that about iphone owners. This only makes you look ignorant. Besides if you compared all smart phones on the market today, the iPhone is still at the top. I've used many smartphones over the years but the iPhone is just better IMO of course. The physics engine on the iphone is THE best.
    People get the iphone because its easy to use, simple as that and it WORKS. NOTHING can touch the Safari browser.

3. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

I think the iPhone is better! :roof:

If I had Verizon, I would have the Droid!

4. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

As with many things, I don't think there is an overall "better" device. It all depends on what you want it to do and how you like to work. My wife has an iPhone 3GS and she loves it. I wouldn't take it if you paid me. :p The thing is she feels exactly the same way about my Droid. ;D

--Bob Q

5. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Talk about looking ignorant. Iphone is great but this happens to be a thread on the Droid.

6. TKD

TKD Empty Pockets

What's your point? No need to be rude. Just stating my opinions, we all have them.
    IMO means in my opinion, idiot.

7. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

I know what imo means. I wasn't being rude I was pointing out the obvious. I guess idiot sums up your opinion of me?

8. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

does the iphone have built in 3d voice turn by turn gps navigation?
    Just curious, thats my favorite app. voice search
    arriving at my destination it switches to street view and shows me a picture of my destination.
    I would have gotten an Iphone but att didnt have a tower near me
    there are so many great features on both devices it would be difficult to compare
    depends on your needs and preferences
    Ive been a big apple fan for years but and now a fan of
    Google and open source. Google is the power behind the droid.
    the Motorola droid is the leatherman of phones (but it'd reign will be much shorter lived I think)

9. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Geez, peeps. Keep it clean. Scribs is gonna give y'all a timeout :)

10. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

They are Just Phones Guys. :D
    WOW :shrug:

11. patches152

with every generalization there are obviously exceptions, but the "broad brush stroke" you refer to is the reality of a vast majority of apple, and specifically iphone users. it's not that i'm trying to bash anyone or start a flame, i'm just pointing out that with the proprietary camp vs the open source camp, there are some inherent personality traits that correlate with the users of each. people migrate to one side or the other based on personal preference/personality fit as much as they do for technical preference and system requirements.

12. nevermas

nevermas Loaded Pockets

:censored:, too bad the usa droid is cdma only. the gsm droid is released as the motorola milestone in europe...700usd unlocked :(

13. patches152

if you shop around you can find ones that'll sell for cheap. i suggest offering to cover or at least split shipping if they're cutting you a major deal.

14. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

How well do the Android phones function as stand-alone palmtop-type devices? I work in a heavily EM shielded building, and all cell reception stops dead at the door. Am I going to be out of luck when I need to access applications like a calendar or text editor, or will it work fine offline and just update once it has a signal again? Am I going to be dealing with a cascade of "Work offline?" error messages, or should it be fairly well-behaved?

I'm currently using a Nokia N810 internet tablet, but the Droid and Nexus have me really interested.

15. patches152

the apps should work as long as the data is stored on the phone. anything that syncs or updates will require signal. however, the phones work on wifi as well (not all features and services work on wifi, but the main ones do), so if you have wifi you're set up.

16. TempestV

TempestV Loaded Pockets

I'm friends with the guy that invented that. He won quite a bit of money for it.

I'm considering switching phones from my GZ'one to a droid here soon. It's the first phone, including the iphone and the blackberries where surfing the web felt "normal".

17. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I strongly doubt that people are choosing the iPhone, Blackberry, or equivalent Android device because of their beliefs about open source software. How many people even know the difference? How many people are software developers? How many people bought a Droid so that they could rip out the source code for the operating system, and spend a couple of days rewriting the GSM drivers?

If anything, it seems the main reason people choose one or the other is whether they're on AT&T or not.

18. bearlyme86

bearlyme86 Loaded Pockets

I STRONGLY disagree. As an owner of a nexus one the PRIMARY factor in my decision to switch over from a blackberry was the ability to root my phone using OTHER people's software. I have no experience with coding outside of C++ but recognize the value added from other people's experience, novel ideas and-more importantly-ability to implement them.

19. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

there was a thread on EDCF yesterday -about someone changing a CPU and having problems...
    Iit could have been written in Swahili and my understanding would have been the same! :rolleyes:
    Every post was as foriegn looking to me as the last one. :idiot2:
    We all have "our things" we are into...but reprograming a phone? Stuff like that is why the rest of us call IT dept's! :laugh:

20. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Well, lets extend that theory and say I doubt most people buy a smart phone because they need it as much as they buy it because it's the cool thing. Do you really think that 1/2 of cellular users need the extra cost of unlimited data? Android for sure is a cheap solution for a smart phone, mostly because of the open source code. Capitalism at it's finest.