1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Love my Droid!

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by bquinlan, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I am now on my second week of living with a Motorola Droid. After 15 years with various Palms (Palm Pilot Pro through Palm TX) it has not been a simple change, but I am more than satisfied with my new device. The screen is amazing (480x854), the hardware keyboard gives me just enough feedback to make typing practical, the camera has a solid autofocus plus macro, and the thing works very well as an actual phone.

For the first time since I got my netbook I find myself leaving it at home most days. There are still tasks where it's handy to have, but there are very few where it is essential. The convenience of having a fully-capable computing device in my pocket is changing my life in all kinds of subtle ways.

The Android applications market is still somewhat immature, but it is growing at an astounding rate. I have been able to find plenty of software to meet my primary needs as well as apps for most of my "it would be nice" categories. There are also a lot of apps that would never have occurred to me but are turning out to be very handy (like Barcode Reader and Google Goggles). Another six months to a year and I expect Android's software offerings to be a solidly filled-in as the Palms.

After years of leaning heavily on dedicated PDAs I needed a device that would excel in that area as well as handling internet connectivity, document editing, and ebook reading in multiple formats, and a host of other random taks. The Droid is doing it all with ease.

My single greatest complaint is that I want alarms that repeat automatically until I respond to them. If that's the worst thing I can say this counts as a big success. (Besides, I expect third-party solutions to cover that issue any day now.)

How are you other Android users liking your devices? What gaps are you finding? What cool apps have you discovered?

--Bob Q

2. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

I love my DROID too (Moto).

I like Handcent, Pandora, Calorie Counter.

One cool app that is 90% useless, but is very interesting technology. It will be an awesome app once the developer gets it out of beta.
    RobotView. It allows you to take a panoramic 360 picture of where you are, then bring it up later. It imposes the view on the screen and as you turn around and look up and down, you see the room you created, instead of where you actually are. The rooms are shareable too.

Think, self created virtual tours. The picture stitching isn't very good right now though. Also, it's a time-trial beta. He posts an expiration date, but has so far loaded a new version with an extended date a day or two after the experation.

3. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I do not have the Droid but I am planning for it to be my next phone once my contract ends this summer. Everyone has been saying that this is Verizon's answer to the iPhone. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

4. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Come on in. The water is fine! ;D

--Bob Q

5. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

I have handled an HTC Dream for a bit and the thing goes on low battery quite fast, had to be recharged every 24-36 hours depending on the use,
    the hsdpa & the always-on nature of the phone suck battery juice so fast...

How often do you recharge your Droid?

6. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Well hopefully, the iPhone will be moving to Verizon with me by its side .. I have the iPhone and nothing compares .. I just hope they announce tomorrow that it will be moving to Verizon!

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

The same thing is true with all the always-on smartphones. Recharge every night or you'll be sorry.

8. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I have always recharged both my phone and my PDA every night, so nothing has changed for me. The Droid generally seems to make it through a day of regular use, but I am usually down to the last quarter of the battery capacity by the time I plug it in. I use mine quite a bit.

I do have a Gomadic retractable USB cable that I keep hand in case I really start to run low on power. Haven't needed it so far.

--Bob Q

9. Blaker55

Blaker55 Loaded Pockets

I've got the HTC Eris and generally like it. NIce screen and nice sized phone. A bit smaller than Iphone so to me that's a plus. My complaints are:
    1. Too easy to accidently call someone after you've just hung up. Call me clumsy.
    2. Antenna isnt as strong as my moto razr.

Other than that, I give it a big plus.

Oh yeah. After I owned it for about a week, it went into the washing machine for about 5 minutes tumbling around. I fished it out, vacuumed it, dried it, set it in a bed of dry rice for a day, more vacuuming and then tried it.............. it works! I'm a lucky bugger.

10. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Trust me, I'm a hardcore gadget guy. There is nothing like the Droid with google backing it. Google voice is AMAZING. I set google voice to recognize international numbers and route them though my google voice account. I don't have to open any programs or change settings, I just dial international contacts, or pull them from my favorites list and google voice does the rest. It's only $.02 a minute. The GPS is an actual GPSr not some aGPS crap. I use mine for geocaching and it can locate my exact position down to 2ft of error. This is important because when you hide a cache you wouldn't want a aGPS that gives you a reading of where it thinks you are. The market place is cool, but the fact that so much of it is free is awesome. Because the battery and the SD card are external there's no limit to how much power or storage space you can carry with you.

I recently took a trip and the flight didn't have a movie, I pulled out my droid and a rubber band and watched "A Corps Bride" with my wife on the droid strapped to the up rite tray table. I installed the gallery from 2.1. Now my Droid syncs the pictures from my picasa account!

To the OP, try Digital clock. I use it for my alarm clock at night. It can use songs from your collection as alarm and it has a snooze, you can change how bright the screen is so it doesn't lite up the room. I used to use nightclock, but it became a pay app.

PS: Also, to share app you can go here once you find the app you want you can use barcode scanner to scan the QR code on the bottom right. This point your droids marketplace to the app you want to download.
    PSS: Just tried Kaloer Clock....it's much nicer

11. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

another cool app is the google sky map. I don't have a droid yet but I was playing with a friends. Look up at the night sky and it shows the same view you see for real and shows you all the names of the constilations and planets etc.. its pretty cool. Can't wait to get one.

12. Neo9710

Neo9710 Loaded Pockets

I absolutely LOVE me DROID...Best phone Ive had yet...

Whats do you consider your best app?

13. lordhamster

lordhamster Loaded Pockets

Just for clarification. The Droid DOES use aGPS. Assisted GPS means a phone has a regular GPS chip, but uses data from the cellular network to download assist in initially locating the satellites. Thus assisted.

Assisted gps is better than regular gps because you get a lock immediately.

What you are thinking of is the wireless triangulation that some phones use to approximate where you are.

14. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Actually it has both.It uses aGPS for a faster lock. It uses the information from aGPS to give the GPSr a regonal location so that it know what sateliets should be in view. But there are phones that do not have the GPSr....

15. lordhamster

lordhamster Loaded Pockets

Not to be a stickler here, but by definition aGPS is both. aGPS is simply GPS using assistance from the cell network. The phones that do not have a GPS receiver are NEVER advertised as having aGPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS

It is a very common misconception that aGPS is somehow inferior to GPS which is absolutely untrue.

16. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Actually it is true. I live in the country a little bit and some days the aGPS puts me almost 3 miles away. Since aGPS needs "towers" to triangulate your position it's worthless if you leave an area with poor/no signal. GPSr is definatly a better system as it's standalone.

17. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

The Droid, imho, is the greatest edc Device since the stone
    too many great things to say about this thing, its a computer in your pocket but even more, way more
    A few of my favorite apps (some downloaded)
    GPS with moving map and 3d turn by turn voice guidance, dont get your window broken because you will not leave it in the car, voice search
    Mototorch (the flash light that made me think about not carrying my arc, never thought Id see the day)
    Weather Channel (desktop widget with sky condition and temp, 1 click gives winds, vis, dp, hourly, 10 day AND video of a guy going over the map AMAZING)
    bedside Alarm Clock , integrates with calendars, music, weather, lights
    phone, Gmail, Google docs,calendar, todo lists, Face book, web browser, IM
    5 mp camera
    Video recorder
    compass
    calculator
    cal
    book readers 1000's of free books
    pdf scanner, reader
    Barcode reader is in its infancy but will prove to be invaluable some day
    timers count up and down
    movie finder (gps integrated) finds theaters, movies and show times near you plus trailers and integrates with netflix
    magnifier via camera
    vioce recorder
    you tube player ( just awesome in and of itself)
    TED tv
    google sky show cases the devices 'knowledge of location, time of year, time of day, direction you are pointing it and angle (just amazing)
    gallery
    music player on device and online
    my tracks track my exercise, maps it, sends it online along with stats to a spreadsheet
    audio books, listened to romeo and juliet on the way to work today
    milage log
    calorie trackers
    you get the idea
    My droid and my Leatherman Wave is all I need!!!!!!!!!!

18. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

An update arrived today that adds multi-touch capabilities to the Maps application on the Droid. Very nice!

--Bob Q

19. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

I saw that.. it's very nice put imo pin-zoom would be nicer. Try xscope if you're curious. You tap on the screen and hold then drag your finger to zoom. It's like pinch zooming only with one finger. It's defiantly the superior zoom.
    Crazy how much I love this thing. I think the screen is my favorite feature though...

20. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Me too!

I've always been crazy for high-resolution displays. My laptop has a 17" LCD with a resolution of 1920x1200. ;D

I had always thought the Palm TX's 320x480 was pretty good for a screen in this size range, but the Droid's 480x854 looks so much better! My eyes are not what they used to be, but I am finding that I really can read smaller fonts than I'm used to because the image is so sharp.

--Bob Q