1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lost my Microstream, replace with?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by swedishelite22, Aug 20, 2020.

1. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

So I got my hands on one to play with and surprisingly like it more than I thought I would.

With the head fully tightened it's high / strobe.
    With the head 1/8 turn it's moon / low / medium / high.

However, if you set the light to 1/8 turn, run it to high, then tighten the head down, it should be the same output but it gets noticeably brighter so its almost like a "turbo" in a way.

The moonlight is also surprisingly nice in low light conditions, though I don't have many of those.

It's a nice light, and has useful features, carousing me to like it more than I thought I would. I'm still iffy on the clip both in form/function with respect to durability being that it's screwed into the body of the life itself, but that's relatively minor. Mainly I'm just trying to see if the 30% increase over the Microstream is justifiable.

I appreciate your insight and replies.

2. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I never had an issue with the clip in terms of durability. I have lost a couple of these lights from the clip catching on a seatbelt or similar. I replaced the clip with a version from TEC and haven’t had an issue since, well over a year.
    [​IMG]

3. burns

burns Loaded Pockets

I've had D25A / D3A lights for 5+ years. I have owned 4 in total and gave one away as a gift to a friend who loved mine. I can't find anything that beats it for pocket carry, for my needs.

I can understand why you would be concerned about the clip being screwed in, but I've found over time that the clip is one of the best things about the light. First, it carries really deep. Second, the screw holes, for all three of my lights and over a number of years have not stripped at all.

If the D25A clip (which is firm and rigid) bends, you can remove it and use your pliers to bend it back to appropriate position and tension. This clip makes cheaper clips seem...cheap, and too easily bendable. I do wish it were reversible, like the Microstream USB that I sold, so I could use it as a headlamp on my cap. That said, I have a separate headlamp in my bag, and the durability and deep carry advantages outweighs the lack of reversibility, for me.

I was always more of a Zebralight fan, but the D25A / D3A is just so nice and slim that I have not found a superior option in many years. Additionally, it's nice to have multiple emitter options, and dual chemistry compatibility.

Also, it's pretty darn bright, especially with a 14500. Great choice.

I have a couple of Reylights on order but I doubt they will replace my D3A.

...if only it were USA made.

jcombs likes this.
  4. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I would second the Olight i3T though it will not meet the 50 lumen low desire. I just use the high mode if I need more than the low provides and I like the simple low/high operation.

The i5T would give you a better performance in a similar format to the i3T if you can live with the larger size. The i5T is 3.75 in. long and 0.70 in. wide and tops out around 300 lumens on a AA battery.Both the i3T and i5T are well within your budget.

John F. likes this.
  5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I also lost a Microstream in an office attic, tons of insulation. I never went back for it. Discovered Surefire after that, our company used D123 for alarm equipment.